Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-30-2002, 04:22 PM
Inactive User

Gripe Rot Holes In The Roof!!!

Hey guys, I've just stripped down the headliner in my 72 Dart and found a bunch of pin holes, and one large hole (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter) in the roof. The only thing keeping the roof dry is the vinyl!!! I think there might be some rot along the front edge of the roof, above the windshield, too. I can tell because of the reinforcement around the perimeter of the roof, though.
I've got a few questions, and I could use some advise here.

1. Is this roof still salvageable?

2. If it is salvageable, how would I go about that?

3. Does anyone know if there is a company who manufacturers roof panels for 72 Darts? Its a 2 door hard top.

4. Is a replacement roof an overlay, or do you need to cut the old roof off?

Since I suck, big time, at body work, I'm probably going to have it done somewhere. This is the second time I'm stripping a vinyl roof off a car, Luckily this time I also had to scrap the headliner. I'm also glad I removed the head liner BEFORE I took off the vinyl!
It just made me sick to see the rot up there

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:26 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

The best way and right way would be find a good roof off other car ..Junk yard and have them(body shop) weld the whole thing on ..I just did this to our little red express truck..lot of work but be right in the end. if you going to put to vinyl back on it you might get away with patching the vinyl would hide the work..
Old 11-30-2002, 06:50 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Vern,
No, I don't plan to put a vinyl roof back on.
I understand what you're saying about replacing the roof rather than patching it.
If I can find one at a junk yard, where do I cut it? I'm thinking I need to cut it as close to the bottom of the pillers as possible, and just let the body shop trim off what they don't need, correct?

I'm really lost here.

Isn't there anyone who makes an aftermarket roof panel for the 70-72 A body?
Old 11-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

No repair panels are available for these. You'll just have to find a good one from a boneyard prefferably in the southwest. I would cut about 2 inches into the quarter and 4 inches in the cowl taking the complete windsheild frame and pillars so they have plenty to work with. Either way, it will be a time consuming and expensive process. But it's about the only way to get rid of all of the cancer if you don't want to replace the top. I kinda like vinyl in theright spots. All of my Mopars will get some....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moparlot.jpg (14.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-30-2002, 09:37 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I would talk to the body man I was going have do first. but I am sure he will want it cut as low as you can get it.. if you can get the window frames great.. you might be supised what you find there when you take out the front and rear windows..
Old 12-07-2002, 08:26 AM
Inactive User

Your roof rotted most likely because it had a cloth top They really trap water. Cut the donor low enough that the pillars stay straight in transport. This is easy metal work but measure twice cut once. If there are inner panels in the pillars they must be welded to maintain the integrity of the structure. Cut the outerpanel in two places to make a patch to lay over the inner splice.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:44 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Don't ditch the vinyl !~

Unless you absolutely cannot stand a vinyl roof keep it. Just grind down and weld up the bad spots, smooth it out as best you can. The vinyl will hide the imperfections that will be glaring if you painted it.
I always like a slick vinyl roof because it is a mark of "the good old days." Most of us Muscle Car guys like a well done vinyl roof. If it is a dollar issue you are looking at a lot of time and money strightening out the roof enough to have paint look good. You might as well consider going with the original vinyl.

I myself really enjoy seeing a car that the owner went the extra mile when it comes to those things. Too many people strip off a vinyl roof and lose the trim peices. Or they will paint the bumpers instead of rechroming them. In my opinion that makes a otherwise well done car downright ugly.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

When I peeled the vinyl off my factory sunroof equipped Dart, I found a lot of rust holes in the sunroof panel, and the entire perimeter of the sunroof opening.
Fortunately, I found a donor car that had the factory sunroof that was in perfect condition.
I welded the donor pieces in. Since I didn't want to put that rust magnet called a vinyl roof back on, my body man did a great job of smoothing the metal and applied a beautiful coat of Viper red.
But, I did save all the trim pieces.