Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-10-2000, 08:08 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Symptoms
when it starts and goes through its warm up rev up, it knocks bad!!!
then it goes away.
Then about 15 minutes(once its warm) later I can hear it again when I hit 2k.and the sound
stays.
To avoid the start up knock I would bump the motor with the starter a few times and that seemed to get rid of the knock during the start up.
So thinking it was the oil pump I changed the oil pump for a high flow unit.
just got it in this Saturday, Drove it around sunday, drove it around today. It's doin all the same things and WORSE. At idle, after its warm the oil light will blink on randomly...
I did prime the oil pump, but it still made an awful rod sound once I started it.
Help!!!!!!!
Maxwedge
Old 04-11-2000, 06:12 PM
Inactive User

My 84 GLH did the same thing, I replaced the check valve for the oil filter. Take off the oil filter and unscrew the thing the filter screws on to and replace it. I think there is a service bulletin.
Old 04-14-2000, 05:59 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

THANK YOU WARLOCK
You saved me about 2500-5000 for a new car.
I cant thank you enough. My motor is a little noisier than it was before but it should do me till I am ready to get a new car...
I cannot believe that they dont warn you about that. hell the pump should come with that part.Its only 5 bucks...hell Id spend 50 on that part just to avoid the stress.
What do you think caused the valve to die. All the metal that is flushed through during the initial startup grinding??or the increased oil pressure due to the fact its a high flow unit??
anyway thanks again
Maxwedge