Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-02-2002, 02:39 PM
Inactive User

Help Distributor Phasing ?

I have a 360 small block and want my timing to be as goog as possible.

How do I time it for torque and how do I phase the distributor?

I drive it daily so which coil should i use?

I have the old style switch that porclelain thing ballist resitor should I upgrade or bypass the whole thing?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Phase check

The easy way to check if your distributor cap is "out of phase" is to drill a hole in the top of it that would allow you to see the spark between the rotor and cap terminal. Some caps are so far off that the spark actually jumps to an adjacent terminal. If a correction is needed, the type of modification depends on the type of ignition system. I run a crank trigger, so all I have to do is turn the distributor to center the spark. With a magnetic pickup in the distributor, you can relocate the pickup coil or you can relocate the cap notch.

As far as where to set the timing, that has always been a change and compare sequence fo me.

Billy
Old 12-02-2002, 06:32 PM
Inactive User

Pull it out send it to Cuda 66273 @ Too Much Racing Beaverton, Oregon or better yet get a whole new system from them
Old 12-02-2002, 09:45 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I second that notion, listen to 23T. To get that distibutor right and I do mean 100% correct send it to "To Much". You will not belive the difference that a few mods can make. Distibuters are not for the fait of heart because they are a mixture of art, science, and black magic. Cuda has a degree in all the above, and the right equipment. Mine will be shipped sime time around Christmas. You see, I'm not just a member, I'm a cliente.
73 Swinger
76 Ram 3/4 Ton
77 Ram Shortbed 1/2 Ton
74 Duster w/318
92 Sundance
89 LeBarron Convertable Turbo
Old 12-02-2002, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

The only time that you have to phase the dist. is if you have the mechanical advance locked out, or if you run a crank trigger .

Dennia Jokela
Old 12-02-2002, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

To faze the rotor, Billy is right. Take an old dist.cap, compare it to the one you run and if they are the same drill a 1/2 hole in line with the coil tower and any wire tower as close to the wire tower as you can get it. Hook a timing light to the wire you drilled the hole by,start the motor and you can see just were the rotor is in relation to the tower. If it is really close to an align great if not, you need to work on the vaccum advance arm to advance or retard the timing to get the rotor aligned. You can also move the cap lock tab some to help. Not knowing much about your car, I will assume it is an automatic. Any one of these wants as much advance as possible as soon as possible. Get a timing tape, and the light dist. springs from mopar. Personally I only use one spring. Just enough to retard it on start up, set the advance at 36 degrees at 3000. You can also use a timing light with advance feature, but there are alot of them that I don't trust. For street use the mopar chrome box and any of aftermarket electronic coils that trips your trigger. There are a bunch of good ones out there. With big cams go for a multi strike Ign. have fun burn rubber.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

www.arengineering.com
like they siad drill the hole and see whats what....
if you have the MP electronic dist. the reluctor could be way off, cuasing the spark to be "out of phase", and these guys make a "corrected" ruluctor to fix the problem
Old 12-03-2002, 02:22 AM
Inactive User

Hey, thanks for the plug! Yes we do sell a CNC machined reluctor which allows you to get the rotor in the correct place on the MP distributors. The re-machined reluctor is the only easy way to solve the problem on the MP distributors. Some aftermarket units are more adjustable.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:16 AM
Inactive User

AndyF - I still trying to decide if this new dist. will self destruct like the last did when the sensor moved and destroyed the reluctor. Hate to waste a $20 reluctor, if it does happen again I wont buy another MP setup.......
Old 12-04-2002, 10:46 AM
Banned

AndyF
Call Me
I want to talk to you about those reluctors and all your other stuff.

Don
1-866-866-7845