Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-04-2002, 02:19 PM
Inactive User

'69 Rd Rnr vs Firebird 400

I was young and a little foolish, going to college in Michigan, just above South Bend Ind. (1969) I was visiting my cousin and her husband in South Bend for the weekend. Cousin's husband, about 15 yrs older than us, but a cool guy, had a new Road Runner, 383 4spd. He was out of town....She had the car. We were on our way back from church and she had let me drive the new car and take his kids ( 3 earlyteens) while she rode with my aunt and other relatives. We were following them home when a couple of young dudes came up behind us in a new firetird 400, just revin' it up and jockey'n around wanting to get it on. The kids were all excited wantin to race, and I said nooo we can't do that your mom and the rest of them would skin me alive. But they got the best of me, and on a two lane road we passed the old folks in front with firetird close behind. Having never driven a 4spd b/4, I did pretty well pulling about 3 car-lengths by the time we pegged the speedo. At top end the whole car sort of vibrated a bit, and I asked the older boy, " IS that about it ?" He said it was, so I let off and the bird caught up and passed. We were just approaching their driveway, which was between two big cedar trees, kind-of hidden. When the rest of the family got home, my cousin said those guys were drivin' up'ndown trying to find out where we went, wanting another chance I guess. I said oh! my gosh , don't tell Walt, He'll kill me. That Road Runner would keep on pullin' in 4th gear almost as much as it did in first.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:53 AM
Inactive User

I had a '68 HEMI Road Runner, and a 70 455 Trans Am. Bought both of them new, and owned both at the same time.
The Road Runner would kick the TA's butt EVERY SINGLE TIME, WITH OUT FAIL!!!
My brother in law at I would race them against each other often. It didn't matter who was drive the Road Runner, it ALWAYS WON!

I later sold the TA, and bought a 69 GTX 440/6Bbl. It was nearly as quick as the RR, but not quite.