Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-28-2000, 07:13 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

I have a freshly rebuilt 2.5, in a dodge shadow, and even befor I rebuilt it, it tended to run a little hot. I dont see it reacting any differently now. Aside from getting a bigger radiator/bigger thermostat/high performance water pump.
What else can I do to cool it??I was thinking that maybe there was another fan unit I could put in the place of the factory 2 blade.
i plan on getting a bigger radiator, but that wont help much if I cant get more air through the thing!!!
sort like getting a bigger motor but stuck with the old tires.
anyway
Maxwedge
Old 02-29-2000, 12:56 AM
Drag Racer

Maybe just a good radiator. If you have rebuilt it already that rules out a head gasket. When does it overheat in the city on the hiway??
You could run a ground wire to the rad fan relay and turn the fan on with a switch if you like. Sounds like you need a new rad though.
Old 02-29-2000, 06:23 AM
Inactive User

There is anthor fan it's plastic with 5 or 6
curved blades but I still think you should
check your rad. maybe have the system power flushed heater core back flushed.Good luck!
Old 02-29-2000, 07:46 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

well Im a little paranoid, I live in LA now and the summers are going to be hot, and the Highways here tend to be more like parking lots than Highways. i dont want the car to over heat and crack the head after I rebuilt it anyway.
I Am going to get a better radiator, BUT if you dont get a better fan whats the point, not much gained with that new radiator.
Sorta like swaping a slant 6 for a hemi, but keeping the same tire and rims....
the fan wont allow the radiator to strut its stuff, if ya know what I mean
Maxwedge
Old 03-10-2000, 01:14 AM
Inactive User

Maxwedge,
If your old rad is not flowing 100% then there is something to gain, its value depending on how clogged you old one is. Even though you keep the same fan, it very well make a big difference. One step at a time may just save you money, if the new rad fixes it. By any chance do your have the Mopar oil cooler part# P4529690 on it? If so I will explain why I ask, and also why I do not recomend it. Good luck
Brent
Old 04-14-2000, 05:52 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

No I dont have the oil cooler. Why do you think it makesthings worse. Does it use a part of the radiator to cool the oil.
i was also looking at the radiator and noticed the Aic Con condeser COVERS the whole radiator..HOLYCOW MAN.
Since it doesnt worrk(the air con not the radiator) i was contemplating taking it off.
How much cooler do you think it will run??
Old 04-28-2000, 10:04 PM
Inactive User

I
Old 04-28-2000, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

Sorry about the last one. I had the Mopar performance oilcooler on my car when I live in San Diego (I can relate to the interstates there) The Mopar oilcooer is a sandwich typ cooler that is bolted inbetween the block and your oil filter. It has two lines that you tap into the heatercore lines, so that the radiator cools the oil, WORNG! The rad is too small to handle that much heat, instead of cooling the oil it ends up heating the antifreeze! I installed it in the winter and once summer came around it took me a while to figure out that was the problem. After I figured it out I went shopping the best thing I found was a oilcooler from Summit Racing http://store.summitracing.com/main.asp It is made by DERALE Part # DER-15502. Price $69.39 the core size is 7 1/2in.x 17in.x 3/4in. Wich would nicly take the place of that A/C rad that is taking up space. I hope this info can help.
Brent Duvall