Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-07-2002, 08:17 AM
Inactive User

Angry Ranting and raving about NASCAR

Before I get started , I just want to say that up untill two years ago my main intrest in motor sports was for the most part focused on drag racing and open wheel cars ( F1 , and champ cars ) . I only got interested in NASCAR again after Mopar anounced it was returning to the series . When I was growing up I remember Richard Petty driving a Plymouth or the STP Dodge either winning or running up front almost all the time ( for you champ car fans can you remember listening to the Indy 500 on the radio ? ) . Anyway , it was with great intrest that I was looking forward to this years NASCAR season , after all at the end of last year Mopar had won the race at Homestead and had been running so well previously that NASCAR decided to slow the Dodges down ( more on that later ) . So comes the opening race at Daytona and all I hear are the Ford guys whinning about how they don't stand a chance unless NASCAR gives them some help . This is one of the things I really dislike about NASCAR , the way it's come down to who ever cry's the most gets aero help , and whats the deal with the cars ? I mean if were really running Dodges how come they use Ford templates to check the body ? This is just my opinon , but the Ford guys should run a stock bodied Ford , the Dodge guys should run a stock bodied Dodge , etc . Then set the same rules for everyone regarding front and rear spoiler angles , height , kickout etc . I mean the way it is now they tweak and tune the rules throught out the year trying to make things come out the way they want them to be . The way I see it is NASCAR wants to see Ford racing Chevy to the stripe for the win on every Sunday , for them it generates the most fan intrest , the biggest TV ratings , and the most money . Dodge and Pontiac are only there to fill out the field and generate some fan intrest for the less popular makes . For NASCAR it was not in their best intrest to have Sterling and a Dodge lead the points for most of the year . They probably had a hard time figuring out how to slow him down because the other Dodges were not running up front with any consistency . I guess thats where that engine bore spacing rule came from that took effect in the middle of the season and would only affect the Mopar engines , I mean what the heck didn't they approve that engine prior to the start of the season ? Why the change in the middle of the season ? After Sterling went out with a neck injury the Dodge highlites were few , Elliot steped up for a couple of wins , and the kid that took over for Sterling was a very pleasent surprise , but towards the end of the season Dodge was a non factor , they had a hard time even getting in the top fifteen . When the Chrysler guys complained about it hoping to get some help , NASCAR told them they werent going to do anything with only 6 races left ! Well then how come last year with only two races left they took something away from the Dodges to slow them down . NASCAR says they try and level the playing field but from where I stand NASCAR is about making money , and for them , money is Ford racing Chevy .
Old 12-07-2002, 05:02 PM
Inactive User

Gripe What Bill Said!

Here's a link to an article I read a few days ago...

http://www.catchfence.com/html/2002/pm120402.html

...although the article is about Penske's switch to Dodge, the writer does allude to some of the things Big Block mentioned.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:22 PM
Inactive User

I agree well said!!
Old 12-12-2002, 03:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: What Bill Said!

You know its really great to see that the media KNOWS whats going on with the Nascar/Dodge relationship. One of these days Nascar might have to take responsibility for their previous unfair and so called parity rules. Life has a way of kicking you in the ass when you least expect it. I just hope I'm around when they draw blood.

Great link and good article Loghead!

Quote:
Originally posted by Loghead
Here's a link to an article I read a few days ago...

http://www.catchfence.com/html/2002/pm120402.html

...although the article is about Penske's switch to Dodge, the writer does allude to some of the things Big Block mentioned.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

Can someone explain the difference between NASCAR and "professional" wrestling to me? Seems like they're both fixed.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:57 AM
Inactive User

The only difference I've noticed is after a race, the drivers have to pay Nascar to wrestle.

Quote:
Originally posted by 72Challenger
Can someone explain the difference between NASCAR and "professional" wrestling to me? Seems like they're both fixed.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:40 AM
Inactive User

Default I agree

I agree with your post. Why dont they make the bodies of the cars the same as the actual cars?...let's see who designs the better vehicle?....stop the tweaking and tuning of the bodies.
Why the Hell are the Mopars always "picked on" with this kind of crap? Hell, I remember reading somewhere in a Drag Racing article that Sox and Martin were talking to Wally Parks(this was fairly recently) I think, and he APOLOGIZED for making the Mopars heavier to make the racing more even. Lotta good that does NOW!!!!!
Old 12-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by 72Challenger

What difference are you refering to? There's no difference. Is there?
Old 12-22-2002, 12:47 PM
Inactive User

I wonder if there are any threads like this on a Ford or Chevy board(?)! One problem would be that there are no RWD "stock" cars any more. But I would like to see it happen. The WC cars now are like the "funny cars" and Pro Stock--they have absolutely nothing to do with the real world. So now we're just 'sposed to root for the car with the logo we like, or the sponsor or the cutest driver!
Old 01-14-2003, 12:11 AM
Inactive User

Gripe give em hell

all the above is true---well heres my nickle---remember the little fiasco @ the darrell alderman shop----well nascar isn't doin nothing that they and others havn't done before---the difference now is that ---mopar(daimler chrysler) will not lay down and die as before---with bigger names added to the list we mopar fans will have a louder voice as time goes on---let them sheeevy and furd fans enjoy what they got for now--cause in due time---the ram will prevail---all us mopar fans need to fly our banners high and proud---our day is soon------mopar fan for life--no matter what
Old 01-14-2003, 01:49 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin look at the trucks

Can't believe it allready!! Ford and shivy both crying again about how fast the dodge trucks are so far in testing. Crawford allready I think went crying to the nascar trailer..Last two years the dodges started out lokin like they might win the truck series title
but rules changes screwed them out of it as usual.Guess they did their home work again.I guess ford and shivey don't want to have to work for speed gains. Just loby..Its typical thou Nascar
will probably kiss their butts as usual and dodge will have to
try and be happy with another 3rd place finish again.. Just nascar politics..
Old 01-14-2003, 01:54 AM
Banned

I need to set you guys straight on some stuff. First they dont use ford templates on Dodges. Each car has up to 22 seperate templates and all are diffrent.
They still use some stock parts on these cars. All hoods,roofs, and deck lids are stock and not allowed to be altered. The hood does not have the stock support webbing under it, but the deck lid does and it will bolt dierectly to a stock car. They all use mopar screw in ball joints no matter what make. They all use gm truck tie rod ends no matter what make 'cause these are the largest and heaviest pieces made. Steering gear boxes are modified gm. Rear axles are slightly modified ford 9 inchers. The only mods are for the floater axles and coolers since they stopped using cambered rear. That's why you saw that rash of broke axles a year or two ago. They use a stock truck drive shaft and modified gm truck arms too.
As far as areo goes the new rule about making them wider at the door just gets them closer to stock and much safer. Easier to get out of during a fire since that makes the lower window opening bigger. As far as the teams tweaking the areo there is very little they can do know. It's mostly on the front fenders and nose and some work on the upper quarters around the rear window spoiler area.
I do totaly agree that once the rules are made they should not be changed mid sesaon for any reason other than safety. You used to never get a rule change until after the season ended. And yes, ever since the early '70's mopar's been gettin the shaft. I hope that all changes now, especailly since the public knows more about the tech side of the sport than it did years ago. I hope Sterlin can come back and kick there buts again and get him a championship this year.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:58 AM
Inactive User

rolleyes2 so soon

well i didn't think it would start this soon---but i'm not surprised. that just makes me want to pull for dodge that much harder--hell, i've been fighting the sys. for so long it just wouldn't seem right any other way---know what i mean! go dodge
Old 01-14-2003, 02:02 AM
Banned

70 grancoupe, talk about fightin the system do you race these short tracks around here too. They killin me in the sportsman class at Nashville Fairgrounds. Make it almost impossible to run a Mopar by there nascar rules, but I have found some tricky ways around it.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Inactive User

Gripe NASCAR SUCKS.

Call me cruel, but I wish Dodge would get out there with last years cars and bump and grind the hell out of the competition during the 2003 season.
Instead of a Sit In protest, we'll call it a Crash In protest.

Ericmopar,
Old 01-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

Cry wish i was !

no dwc43 i dont race--wish i could aford to, if i could you know it would be a dodge and i would crash before i would let any other brand beat me. my remark about dodge is because for as long as i can remember i have been a dodge fan and i have taken a beating from all the guys about them mopars. but i dont care--i know that when they are right (mopar) pound for pound nothin can beat them. not to mention some of the most radical body styles to ever be produced. like the 64 fastback cuda--so ugly it is beautiful. well enough said---for now lol later
Old 01-17-2003, 08:21 AM
Banned

Grancoupe, I know what you mean. If you cant afford racing and your near by some time we might could put you to work at the Fairgrounds speedway some Sat. night after the end of March.

Hey we need to get you into the Music City Mopar Club. We want treat you that way, and you'ld be among friends then.
We have a meeting once a month and a big show in Sep. Average around 200 cars and trucks. Had more Hemis and Birds there this year than we knew what to do with.
Let me know if your interested and I'll get you some info. Where exactly are you in Tn. anyway? Not familar with the name you have posted under your handle.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up grinnin' and squirmin'

man, i would really enjoy helping work on a mopar at the track. worked on alot of other brands but never got the chance to turn wrenches on a mopar roundy-roundy. where i live is 40 miles east of knoxville off of interstate 40. it's a little town in jefferson county. is the track you race dirt or asphalt? my wife and i have been to bull's gap. thats in greenville off of interstate 81. it's supposed to be the fastest high banked dirt oval in eastern usa. big bill(elliott) was there a couple of times last year. couldn't get near the place tho. lol sure i would be interested in joining you guys mopar club. as of now i dont belong to a club. please contact me
Old 01-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Banned

We are racing at the old Nashville Fairgrounds speedway. 5/8 asphault, sportman class. This will be the first year. Parking my old dirt track car. Just got tired of it I guess. Always wanted to go asphault anyway. That would be a little bit of a drive for you though. Guess mostly down I 40 right?
E-mail me at ******************** and we will set you up with the club and our new web site. Need to get that thing posted on here somewhere along with our car show calender too.
When I get your e-mail address, I'll send you a before shot of the sportsman car I bought.
Are you any good with chassis set ups?
Old 01-30-2003, 12:11 PM
Inactive User

Question rwd intrepids!

I read an article back in 94? that said that the intrepids and lhs were designed in such a way that they could be converted to rear wheel drive from the factory! too bad Daimler doesnt make some rwd cars equipped with the new Hemi,and available in the colors of all the dodge drivers,maybe each car could have the drivers name and car # stitched into the dash and seat covers. Ahhh as the Beachboys said "would'nt it be nice!"
Old 01-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Inactive User

Idea dream weaver

a.j.----if only----i can see it now, red with all the trim. you know momma mopar built the kit car( aspen) and the super coupe i think they called it. 78 i think. i know my brother bought one of the kit cars new. it came with the bolt on fender flares, front and rear window straps, front air dam, rear spoiler slotted steel wheels like the roundy- rounds had at that time and get this----had the vinyl number decals in the trunk for customer inst. we never put them on but they were the no. 43, full door size. the car was two toned with a medium red top half and a dark maroon bottom. i guess anything is possible. by the way, does anyone know of one of these cars, and if so i would like to see a pic. been a while, havn't thought about that mopar in a long time. havn't seen one other than that one.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:24 AM
Banned

I got a pick of one I'll send you.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up ok

sorry for the late reply---since the last post i've went to some site's and found a few pic's and found out that those cars are kinda rare. after looking at them now i noticed that the front and rear of those cars weren't all that. lol
Old 02-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

Default Something like this?

Old 02-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Or, like this?