Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-08-2002, 05:00 PM
Inactive User

Default SS springs or traction bars

What are the differences in performance between using traction bars as opposed to SS leaf springs.
diego-ted
Old 12-08-2002, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

Traction bars serve no perpose on a leaf spring Mopar and may even be a hindrance to the movement of the leafs. Stick with the SS springs, and make sure they are rated for your car's weight.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:17 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Use the S/S springs. Traction bars are not for us. A pinion snuber is. It does the same job as the traction bars better because it is one part in the middle and not a part on each side that needs to be balanced out and even and tooled with.
Adjust the pinion snubbers height to about 1 inch from the body and use with S/S springs. Your done. You might, might have use for spring clamps to stiffin up the front portion of the springs.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:51 PM

The only thing that traction bars are good for, is messing up your springs. A properly adjusted pinion snubber will put traction bars to same. Don't forget to reinforce the sheetmetal, just above the pinion snubber. If you do a lot of racing that are will beging to flex and stretch.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:55 PM
Inactive User

The other thing traction bars are good for, is leaving your differential at a railroad crossing.

Saw a mustang do that. I must admit, I laughed.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:12 PM
islcuda

Thumbs up super stock spring heights

hi all, just wondring, I received my super stock springs here the other day for 3000 ilb car and laying them side by side , one is higher then the other by at least an inch, have not accually measured them but one is definitly higher. I can get them the same hieght by standing on the taller one and I am 200 ilbs. Is this the norm or is it screw up from mexico. the part # are right for left and right? Hmm maybe have to take one apart and rearch, grrrr, these are for 67 barracuda, Tim
Old 12-08-2002, 11:43 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I didn't notice that on mine, nor did I lay hem side by side.
I say give it a shot. Unless someone knows diferent from the been there camp.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:56 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: super stock spring heights

Quote:
Originally posted by tim
... one is higher than the other by at least an inch, have not accually measured them but one is definitely higher. Is this the norm or is it screw up from mexico?
Tim,
My bro bought a set of these springs for his 68 Barracuda.
We had the same question, so I spoke with a trusted Mopar expert.
He said "run 'em". So my bro installed them and they're just fine.
Car sits level, and he's been really impressed with their performance.

So, install them, use a pinion snubber ('slapper' bars are for Camaros),
and a set of MP long drag shocks if you're racing. That's it.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:23 PM
Inactive User

Diego:

Traction bars on Mopar = broken lug nuts (just laugh to yourself when you see set of these). An adjustable pinion snubber or stock pinion snubber works fine. Have you ever seen wheel hop on a Mopar? Virtually non existant.

My Duster had brand new SS springs on it when I bought it, and without a motor sat almost 3 inches higher on one side than the other. It is normal to have the passenger side of the car about 1 to 2 inches higher with SS springs. My 3 inches came from the drivers side torsion bar adjusting bolt being backed almost totally out. I adjusted the front end to get it to about 1.5 inches, and through street driving and racing the car has sunk down to almost level. So, don't worry about it and RUN 'em.

Dartman
Old 12-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Inactive User

just going on memory here but I believe I read that the SS springs have an extra leaf on one side to handle the twisting motion of torque when your leaving the line hard.

Not positive of this tho......

Old 12-10-2002, 02:33 AM
Inactive User

I have tried many different things in the rear springs and I acn't really tell which system is the best. Even the stock leaf springs with the front clamps seem to work as well as the SS springs in to at least the low 11 second range. We switched over to SS springs at that point and gained absolutely nothing. I have also used pipnion snubber with SS springs (didn't seem to affect anything in an automatic) and also traction bars with them (seem to work better) I know traction bars do not "belong" to a Mopar, but they do work as intended + if you can build them yourself they cost practically nothing. With springs moved inboard and the bars painted black they are hardly visible under the car. In my next sleeper project I will try traction bars, and the goal is to run 10's on 205 wide non drag-radials
Old 12-10-2002, 04:10 AM
Banned

Default Re: super stock spring heights

Quote:
Originally posted by tim
hi all, just wondring, I received my super stock springs here the other day for 3000 ilb car and laying them side by side , one is higher then the other by at least an inch, have not accually measured them but one is definitly higher. I can get them the same hieght by standing on the taller one and I am 200 ilbs. Is this the norm or is it screw up from mexico. the part # are right for left and right? Hmm maybe have to take one apart and rearch, grrrr, these are for 67 barracuda, Tim
The one with the most arch goes on the passenger side.The right rear recieves the bulk of all torque as the engine tilts to the passenger side and tries to raise the left front wheel. This spring is designed to prevent it.
I've run traction bars without any problems at all.Just make sure you have road clearence and clearence between the bars and tires. Since you have the ss springs,unless you have a really fast car,you wont need anything else.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:22 AM
islcuda

Thumbs up great

Okay great info people, i will just leave them alone and install them. This set up is going into 67 cuda with 440 roll cage, spring relocation kit and 10 by 28 hoosier slicks. Just getting it off the ground here so it is gonna be fun. Haven,t located a good 440 yet, but working on it. I am looking at following car crafts 440 build up to a t, except for maybe bigger cam. Produced 535.5 horse at 5300 rpm and 582.9 lb-ft of tourque at 4100 rpm. All the steps are there, one can,t go wrong,lol, Tim
Old 12-10-2002, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

What is everyone's thought on pinion snubbers. I've had people tell me their car hooks better with one set close to the floor. Their idea was it planted the tires. I think they are nothing but a saftey device to keep the driveshaft in the car during a hard low gear launch when the springs wrap the most and the pinion angle goes positive and binds the u-joint. I know of a 3300lb car running 10.20s with ss springs and no snubber, just 7 degrees of pinion down angle. So, are they a traction device or a crutch to keep the shaft in?

Cecil
Old 12-10-2002, 09:12 PM

They do both jobs (when set correctly). The snubber will maintain optimum pinion angle and then as the nose wants to come up harder, the entire weight of the car is pivoting on the snubber, for down force on the tires.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:40 AM
Inactive User

According to the MP Chassis book, the pinion snubber is only a "safety" item with SS springs on automatic cars. I have not noticed any differencies driving with or without it, this on a auomatic non trans brake car that has run 9.6's on DOT tires.