Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-09-2002, 03:30 AM
Inactive User

Default edelbrock carbs??????

anybody run one of these..I'm looking at a model 1411 electric choke 750 CFM for the top of my 440

any thoughts or ideas???

thanx
Old 12-09-2002, 04:57 AM
Inactive User

If all you want is drivability and ease of tuning with low hassles, go for it. Who wants any of that crap that has a 440? If you want something more precise with tons more performance, you need a Demon, and I am not just backing cuda66273, I have researched these things some and they appear to be better in almost every aspect as grandfather Holley, excluding price. If you can't afford the BG Demon and you want a squarebore carb, I would advise a Holley, eventhough I will probably get cussed by several members for saying that. Also there is the venerable thermoquad. Though I know almost nothing about them (thermoquads) and have only a handful of experience with Quadra-jets, I know that a spreadbore carb is about the best multi purpose carb to be had. Everyone knows they work on the road, and I have seen them work at the track. If you want some common ground between drivability and performance they are the way to go. Though they are more difficult to tune than the Holley and family, (though almost, if not just as variable), they offer better performance and the same drivability and fuel economy as the Edelbrock, and the best part is that they are cheap and easily found. A Thermoquad would probably be the best selection if you can put up with some schooling to get it tuned right. Would I advise the Edelbrock? No. Do I think you should research some more? Absolutely. You just need to decide on what is most important to you, and pick a carbeurator to suit you particular needs and demands. Don't let anyone talk you into anything, get some more opinions and decide for yourself.

P.S.--No offense to Roger, I think you make some great products, but just as MANY other products, there is a better one out there.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Banned

If your motor is pretty much stock then the Eddy will work....good? no...but it will work and the engine will run fine.

I have a 750 Eddy on my bench right now, I'm going through it and it'll be ready in a couple of days.

I also have a rebuilt 850 Speed Demon on the shelf ready to go, if your motor is warmed up a bit with a cam duration @ 50 of under 240.

The 850 could be more carb than you need you'll have to give me all your specs before I would consider shipping it to you. I won't ship it unless I'm sure it will work for your application.

If you want to try either of these options I will gladly send them for you to try out.

Other than that new is always an option, call me and we can go through all your motor specs and determine which carb would be ideal for your application.

Our toll free number works from Canada.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:01 PM
Inactive User

I'll second that, if you just want to drive, the Eddy is fine. If you want to tinker, Holley based carbs offer much more.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:42 PM
Inactive User

deadhorse....

No offense taken.

This is only from second hand information, and no direct experience of my own. Edelbrock carbs are known for good street applications. Holley for general racing. And BG for all out performance.

As far as an Edelbrock carb, I know they take somel tuning work. Some only need minor tweeking from the factory, others need a whole lot. Why is that....beats me! I'm not a carb guy!

I can take criticism, no problem. And if there's a better product for a specific application, I have no problems reccommending it. When it affects our sales, then we just might make ours better.

On a personal note, all the products I work on kick ass! LOL Then, I don't think I am running up against much competition in the Mopar market as with the others. But my personal goal is to make it the best I can, but its amazing how much is out of my control!
Old 12-09-2002, 07:34 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I have to agree also on the carb statements made. For the street and some strip the, Cart/Edelbrock carbs are fine. Easy to deal with with good response.
The Holley is better for the street/strip and a Demon kick butt all around.
The Holley has many many tuning parts to customize and taylor the carb to meet your needs.
The Carter does not.
I run Carters on most of my rides and have little problems with them. There best feature is there abilty to hold a tune where the Holley is a lil' finicky.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:58 PM
Inactive User

Any second opinions on T-quads?
Old 12-10-2002, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

Blygy...

I have a brand spankin' new Edlebrock 1407 (750 cfm) with the electric choke kit, in the box with all of the studs etc for $200. The carb has been bolted on but never run. I got it in trade and am not going to use it. I think they price new for around $269 from Summit. Let me know if you are interested.

bblewitt@4dv.net
Old 12-10-2002, 12:28 AM
Inactive User

The demon or holley may give you better speed, but my question is, what are you comparing it to?

Most of the "resto" guys I know have to have thier arms twisted to go as far as to buy even the edlebrock, let alone a demon. Some people seem to think $350 canadian is WAY too much money for a carburator, when an old peice of crap from the junkyard can be tinkered with, and never work properly.

The edlebrock is very good value for the money, especially if you go for the factory reman(9911) If you don't race your car, and you're used to a junkyard carb(or even a 20 year old oem piece), then you will be extremely pleased with the edlebrock.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:05 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by dave571
The demon or holley may give you better speed, but my question is, what are you comparing it to? Most of the "resto" guys I know have to have thier arms twisted to go as far as to buy even the edlebrock, let alone a demon. Some people seem to think $350 canadian is WAY too much money for a carburator, when an old peice of crap from the junkyard can be tinkered with, and never work properly. The edlebrock is very good value for the money, especially if you go for the factory reman(9911) If you don't race your car, and you're used to a junkyard carb(or even a 20 year old oem piece), then you will be extremely pleased with the edlebrock.
Compared to just about anything, (allbeit EFI) you can get more performance and fine tune with a Holley type. I mean, how many Edelbrock carbs do you see on dedicated race cars? I guess you don't do any of that, but have a little faith, Dave--carb surgery isn't that hard. I come from the computer controlled generation just like you (though I don't have near your experience), and I can do it to a certain extent. Don't just dismiss the idea without even trying it; get a book or two, read up and dive in--you might just like it! Maybe I am just talking out of my a$$, I dunno...
Old 12-10-2002, 05:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by deadhorse66
Any second opinions on T-quads?

Best street carb ever made. Use them a lot.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:03 PM
Inactive User

deadhorse.....

I assume when you say dedicated race car you mean

race car = drag car

If that is the case, I know for most race cars, especially drag racing, its all wide open throttle....and as far as Edelbrock carbs go, I know that they are meant for cars that drive on the street, that don't see wide open throttle 98% of the time.

Although, when you look at the broad scope of things, whether you are running an EFI setup or a carb, the main problem is the tune-up!! I think people just want to bolt things up and run with it, and forget that you need to tune a carb and EFI properly to make it run its BEST. There just are a lot of people who don't do the work it takes to get it there.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:55 PM
Inactive User

I ran the 1407 (750 mech choke) on my 440. Out of the box, it was great, almost perfect driveability. I had a slight stumble when I absolutely nailed it while at cruise rpms. off the line it was great. I never ran it long enough tune it extensively, as I had the efi bug up my a$$. very versatile, it now resides on my brother's 72 lemans with a stock 350 with a weind stealth intake, and the thing ran real good, required very minor tuning.

I agree with what these guys have been telling you, just wanted to let you know what my personal experience was with the same carb on a similar motor.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by RogerH
deadhorse.....

I assume when you say dedicated race car you mean
race car = drag car
If that is the case, I know for most race cars, especially drag racing, its all wide open throttle....and as far as Edelbrock carbs go, I know that they are meant for cars that drive on the street, that don't see wide open throttle 98% of the time. Although, when you look at the broad scope of things, whether you are running an EFI setup or a carb, the main problem is the tune-up!! I think people just want to bolt things up and run with it, and forget that you need to tune a carb and EFI properly to make it run its BEST. There just are a lot of people who don't do the work it takes to get it there.
I agree fully, I was just suggesting that Dave give something else a try because he sounds like a man that can handle that kind of thing. If he or anyone else refuses to tune, your product is the best choice--bar none.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

Good luck finding a project E-body. I bought mine 5 years ago, and my wife laughed at it's poor condition for $3800. I had to buy a battery, gas, and replace hoses, just to get it out of the guy's driveway, and that was in 4th gear all the way home because it was the only gear I could find. But I DID drive it home. Now I hear you can't touch a running E-body, specially a 'Cuda, for less than $6000.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:59 AM
Inactive User

Deadhorse66

I'm not saying that tuning a carb is a waste of time. I don't think that at all. Obviously a properly tuned carb will do great things for you. I know form my own limited carb experience, I saw a half second drop in et on my 340, by making adjustments to the accelerator pump alone.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what blygy is already working with.

Again, from my own experience, I have spent lots of time trying to run junkyard pieces to keep a driver running well. The results have been poor. I have sold the edlebrocks to customers(more on resto machines then race machines) with no complaints.

If blygy is looking for a bolt on, no hassle carb, with reasonable performance, he will be happy with the edlebrock. As you ,and the other guys, have said, If he wants all out performance with some tuning and tinkering, then a demon or holley is a better pick.

No arguement from me

I'll admit, I don't like screwing around with carbs myself, but I do see that there are performance benefits to doing so, for those who feel up to the task.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

I presonally like the Edelbrock AFB type of carb. It can be tuned to get great fuel economy and performance. He who knows nothing about carbs can get a good tune by changing jets, rods, or springs by simply following the tuning steps in the edelbrock manual.
A more experienced carb guy can drill to get rid of the part throttle cruise leanness. A carb genius can go on to put external adjustable secondary jet adjustment rods as well as adjustable primary tapered metering rods. He can then remove the secondary velocity valve and add a secondary transition circuit so the secondary system can come on more linear with a vacuum operated secondary throttle valve.

Billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vacafb.jpg (71.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-12-2002, 03:20 AM
Read : Untouchable

Default hmm

if he wants to change 'rods and springs' he should just get a thermoquad.
by the way, i don't understand what the hell out of the box performance has to do with anything.
how about this.
i had a 750 edel on a purple cammed .484 440 in a 4.10 geared c-body.
fastest pass was a 14.20 @ 98 mph.
paid 750 bucks canadian for a 750 speed demon carb, bolted it straight on, and went to the track...
whoa, 14.30 @ 98 mph (poorer traction conditions)
out of the box, it went the SAME SPEED.
anything and everything carb related NEEDS TUNING before acceptable performance measures can even be taken
Old 12-13-2002, 12:20 PM
Inactive User

Default Well No tinker it is

well guys thanx to all who posted. I think I'm going to go with the Eddy cause I HATE tinkering.. I want something for my daily driver ..I'm running a 1980 Dodge PowerWagon with a 440 727 and 3.55s.

Dave sounds like you have a shop in calgary..

I'm always looking for good Mopar shops but I'm some what nroth of you.. West of edmonton. I'm looking at having Alberta Engine Rebuilders do my motor. Any experience with them??

Thanx again all

Blygy
Old 12-13-2002, 10:47 PM
Inactive User

I don't know that shop, sorry.
There is a thread in here somewhere called "Alberta Engine builders"????I think anyway.

Someone in there recommended a guy in edmonton.

I have talked to vince at Guyon in Calgary. He is a Mopar guy, and he is knowledgable. He seems like a straight guy. He doesn't seem to be wanting to sell you a bunch of extra crap you don't need.