Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-09-2000, 06:01 PM
Inactive User

Question

I had a '95 4-door Neon that when I was towing my tent trailer at about 70 MPH or better on the highway, a sudden extreme misfire would occur at speed and when I pulled over the engine would immediately stall. The engine would not refire right away but after sitting for ten minutes the engine would start right up and the car would run as if nothing had ever happened and then run perfectly for a week, two weeks or two months before doing it again. It only seemed to happen at highway speeds when the car was loaded down with passengers or the trailer. I have since replaced the 1995 four door with a 1996 2-door Neon sport coupe with the DOHC 4 cylinder. The car ran perfectly for the last year, but this past weekend on a family trip the very same thing happened to this Neon as well. With four people in the car and travelling at 70-72 MPH the engine suddenly developed the extreme misfire again and as I pulled off the highway the engine stalled on the off ramp. It would not start again. Fortunately, someone in a new PT Cruiser pulled up behind me and offered to help us push the car off the ramp. (Bless all Mopar fans who take the time to help others in need!) After pushing the car to the side, we discussed where the closest garage was that we could get a ride to. Thinking of the old Neon and realizing the car had been sitting now for about 10 minutes I gave it another try. The engine started right up and purred like a kitten! We continued with our trip and the engine has run perfectly since ( about 4 more days). Has anyone else out there come across the same problem with their Neon? The problem only happens under heavier than normal loaded conditions while at highway speeds, never at city speeds or with only one or two people in the car. It was suggested the problem is a sensor in the engine that malfunctions while at speed but then resets itself when the car sits for a few minutes. The check engine light comes on when the misfire occurs but goes off again when the engine returns to normal. Please help with any suggestions or past experiences.
Old 05-10-2000, 01:00 AM
Moderate anarchist

Run the computer codes. Just like the earlier Mopar FWD cars your 96 will spit out the codes. If you don't know how or what they mean surf on over to www.neons.org

Bet it's bad plug wires though.

------------------
38 Plymouth P6
65 Plymouth Barracuda
87 Dodge Diplomat
89 Plymouth Caravan
96 Dodge Neon

"No quarter asked, none given" - Thunderstruck Racing
Old 05-10-2000, 06:28 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

sounds like a bad fuel pump.
gets very hot and starts to sieze up and you lose pressure. when it cools for awhile it's ok again.
Old 05-23-2000, 04:07 AM

COULD BE A CAM OR CRANK SENSOR

[This message has been edited by MoparNet (edited May 22, 2000).]