Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-11-2002, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

Default Questions about Mopar Performance electronic distributor

I am not new to cars but I am new to Mopars so I have a few questions about the Mopar Performance electonic distributor. I was thinking of getting the MP dist. and contol module set up from Summit for $191 for my 71 383 Satellite and my question is this: If I buy that set up what else will I need to complete the system? Do I only need a coil to go with it or are there other necessary pieces? Is this the best ign. system for the money? I have had systems from Performance Distributors in other cars I have had and I know they sell a complete sytem with a custom set timing curve for each appliaction for $300 with the coil, has anyone tried that? Thanks Steve
Old 12-12-2002, 01:39 AM
Inactive User

The mp kit is reliable and easy to install.

Your stock coil will work.

The big downer to the kit, is that the distributor was curved by monkeys, and will need to be redone by a local guy, or cuda66273 at too much racing.

If you want something better like msd, I don't know what to recommend to you. I know lot's of guys here love the stuff, but I have had some problems with the quality of the product, and further problems with the customer service at MSD which in my opinion is non-existant. If you have a problem with your msd, the car is problem, not the msd.

Anyway, I hope that helps you a bit.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:36 AM

You can get the setup cheaper from Koller Dodge, than you can from summit. Summitt is always over-priced on the MOPAR PErformance parts.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:10 AM
Banned

I don't know the specs on your car but if your intertested in a complete system we have a Rebuilt MP distributor, New MSD 6AL and a New Blaster 2 coil....complete system.

We would dial in the distributor to the box, curve it to your motor, phase it correctly and set up the wiring harness.

Summit dist $191
MSD $199
Handling $7
Curve and phase $65
Frieght to us
and back................$20
Total.....................$472

Complete system from us.......$450
frieght.......................................$10

Total........................................$460

This is your face while waiting on hold for Summits tech line

This is your face after you talk to their tech department

This is your face when you call our TOLL FREE tech line and I answer the phone

This is you after we solve your problem in one call

Are you near Fort Smith? Do you know Toby from SW Speed?
Old 12-13-2002, 11:19 AM
Inactive User

Hey Cuda66, How much improvement over the MP curve does your curve give, on a mild 340? Just curious, might be something i will do when i replace my cam and valvetrain. Thanks
Old 12-13-2002, 07:21 PM
Inactive User

BTT
Old 12-15-2002, 11:05 AM
Banned

Thats a tough question...Mopar distributors come with a basic curve set from an average of many possible combinations. Our distributors are dialed to your exact engine and car, how much improvement??? you got me ...alot!...ask some of the Guys here who have bought them from us

I've seen as much as 4/10ths improvement on a car that the owner thought was already perfect....scared him....LOL

I've seen cars that couldn't make 1320' without backfiring and spitting back....horrible Et's...cleans them right up and makes 'em run like a raped ape.

I've also seen where it didn't add hardly do anything to the ET but it started better and idled way smoother...

We've built about 80 units in the two years before my affiliation with Too Much and we've only had one where it did't work better....turns out that the car weighed 3800 not 3100, the gear was a 2.72 not a 3.91 and the cam was 220* duration not 238....I need accurate information to make them work correctly.

I'll be traveling to various race tracks this year and I'll have several distributors on the trailer for free testing.

If for any reason your not happy with one of our distributors you can return it for a FULL refund or recurve within 30 days...we extend that for those of you in the snow belt who won't get a chance to track test until late in the spring...we base our guarrantee on the opening date of your local track...so if your track opens May 1 your guarrantee runs out June 1st. We're also flexible...if your cars not ready to run we'll extend the warrantee until you get it to the track..just call us....we want to work with you to make your Mopar Perform ..not just take your money and run...like a mail order house.

Any just call......

Don
Old 12-15-2002, 11:35 AM
Inactive User

I use the M.P. ignition kit because it is simple, reliable and it works well on a street application. I do run at the drag strip too.
I have tried several performance coils over the stock coil and found that the Accel Super coil is the best and the MDS Blaster is next best. My plugs stay very clean too but you should by some good quality plug wires like the Accel 300's, the Moroso Blue Max or MSD wires to handle the extra voltage. I also use a 7/10 ohm
ballast resistor and this really gets the fire to the plugs VS the stock 1.5 ohm ballast, but DO NOT drop below 6/10 ohm rresistance as this will fry the ignition box within seconds. I also use a 1989 300 ZX non-turbo 5/8" reach plug because this plug will give you extra room vs the 13/16 reach plug and it is pre gapped to .043" and you will need the extra wide gap for the higher output ignition, DAVID.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:23 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Hey 383Sat get on e-bay you can find great deals on MP electronic Dist kits. I got my distibutor which was brand new never used for 27.00. Yes it was an adjustable MP. I had the wires already and bought a stock box. I just installed it today, big difference in the idle, wow. It did'nt have as much advance as the single points dist which was good because no more ping. Somebody like Cuda can realy bring out the power in a dist. but you need to know what your doing and and some expensive equipment. You would not be sorry.
73 Swinger
76 Ram 3/4 Ton
77 Ram Shortbed 1/2 Ton
74 Duster w/318
92 Sundance
89 LeBarron Convertable Turbo
Old 12-15-2002, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

Don,

I have a MP distributor in my car that I need to bring up to you. The damn thing has so much runout at the reluctor that the gap on side is zero but the other side is about 0.020! I'd love to get it fixed and recurved.

I figure I need about 20 or 22 degrees total advance so I can run 12 or 14 initial but I'm not positive since I haven't put any miles on the Edelbrock head combo yet. I'm sure that moving to the Eheads from the 906's will change the curve requirements a bit.

One thing I like about the MP distributor is that it has vacuum advance. Since my car is mostly street driven that is a plus. I'd put a MSD distributor on there in a flash if they built a good one that had vacuum advance.

Andy
Old 12-16-2002, 03:49 AM
Inactive User

I believe MSD currently offers a "stand alone unit" with vacuum advance.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:10 AM
Banned

Hey Andy...that would be our stage 1 distributor with Vacuum advance unit...no problem bring it along Weds. and we'll get it done for you.

We will see you weds. right?....

Give me a call
1866-866-7845
Don