Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-22-2000, 06:49 PM

I have a 1995 Dodge Intrepid ES, 109,400K miles. About a month ago I ran over a full sized deer at about 55mph (sucker was around a curve, already dead and in the northbound lane). No, I wasn't speeding.

Anyhow, that blew out the transmission mount which I just had replaced. So for about 2 weeks I was driving with a weakened mount, and another 2 when it was completely gone. I'm guessing this weakened the engine mounts/insulators because for about the past 2 or so weeks, I've had a light clunking/rattling noise from the front end at low speed when I hit small bumps. It sounds like the mounts to me, but any other input would be appreciated.

Also, I have a warped drivers side rear rotor which I'm probably going to replace this weekend. When I take only certain left turns, no acceleration, under 20mph, the e-brake light will come on for a second or two. The front brakes and rotors are brand new (well, I've put between 5-8K miles on them), and other than an annoying squeaking due to the semi-metallic brakepads, they are fine. I'm going to swap out the rear rotor anyhow, but I was curious if these were related... I'm hoping so

Last but not least, can anybody recommend a quality brakepad that DOESN'T squeak? I'm at my breaking point with the front ones and would like to just swap them out.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 05-23-2000, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlin:
I have a 1995 Dodge Intrepid ES, 109,400K miles. About a month ago I ran over a full sized deer at about 55mph (sucker was around a curve, already dead and in the northbound lane). No, I wasn't speeding.

Anyhow, that blew out the transmission mount which I just had replaced. So for about 2 weeks I was driving with a weakened mount, and another 2 when it was completely gone. I'm guessing this weakened the engine mounts/insulators because for about the past 2 or so weeks, I've had a light clunking/rattling noise from the front end at low speed when I hit small bumps. It sounds like the mounts to me, but any other input would be appreciated.

Also, I have a warped drivers side rear rotor which I'm probably going to replace this weekend. When I take only certain left turns, no acceleration, under 20mph, the e-brake light will come on for a second or two. The front brakes and rotors are brand new (well, I've put between 5-8K miles on them), and other than an annoying squeaking due to the semi-metallic brakepads, they are fine. I'm going to swap out the rear rotor anyhow, but I was curious if these were related... I'm hoping so

Last but not least, can anybody recommend a quality brakepad that DOESN'T squeak? I'm at my breaking point with the front ones and would like to just swap them out.

Thanks,
Sam
THE RATTLING SOUND YOU ARE EXPLAINING SOUNDS LIKE THE SWAY BAR LINKS. THEY ARE A VERY COMMON PROBLEM ON LH VEHICLES.THE BRAKE LIGHT IS PROBABLY AN ANTILOCK PROBLEM IF EQUIPPED.
Old 05-24-2000, 06:31 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

If your abs light comes on and then goes off again after youv'e turned a corner make sure your brake fluid level is not too low.
Sway bar links are common, but could also be loose guts in the catalytic converters.

------------------
70 challenger r/t conv
98 V-10 Q/C SWB 4X4
72 383 swinger
Old 05-27-2000, 06:34 PM

Well the clunking is gone, it was the sway bar links. As for the E-Brake light which would come on during downhill left turns, that was due to low brake fluid. Thanks to everybody for their suggestions. Learned a valuable lesson here, always get a 2nd opinion. Local Meineke shop wanted to replace my struts for over $600 to "fix" the problem... Sears replaced the links for me, $200.

Sam