Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dodge Viper Chat...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-14-2002, 02:00 PM
Inactive User

Default Calipers

Looking for a source for used calipers or rebuilts, these are needed for a brake conversion. Both the Viper and corvet use Brembo's are they the same caliper?
Old 12-15-2002, 01:17 AM
Inactive User

Go to the want ads of the www.Viperclub.org site. They will probably have people trying to sell their stuff after upgrading their OE brakes to Stop Tech's. The Brembo brakes on Vipers is very unerpowered to stop a 3,300 pound car. If you are going to do something like this, use two pairs of the front brakes for your front and rears. By the way, there is no such thing as plug and play when it comes to brakes.

What car are you using this for? Is it for a dedicated track car? If you doing it on a any car, and you plan on driving it aggressively on the street, I would definitely caution you on doing this. The pots on these brakes are set up specifically for these cars. The brake bias issues that will pop up on you will drive you crazy. Rear brake bias can get you killed on the street or the track.

If you have to do something like this, DO NOT put an adjustable proportioning valve on your master cylinder. Most use it to get rid of rear brake bias, but few know how to use them (including race car drivers). Also understand that if you were to get into an accident and your insurance company found you to have one of these devices on your car, they will void your policy. That being the case, are you willing to lose your house over something like this?

You would be better suited on going with a dual master cylinder set up with a balance bar between them. Do your homework now, so you can prevent a very expensive mistake from ocurring.

Good luck and be safe.

Brad
Old 12-15-2002, 04:48 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the Viper site location. I intend to use these brakes on a 74 Duster. AR engineering has developed a kit sold through a five star Chrysler dealer to modify the older muscle cars to fit the Viper calipers on the front. The tech editor of Mopar Action ran a set of the Viper calipers with 10" drums on aa A-body in the One Lap of America which includes highway, street strip and road courses. He reported excellent results most notably the 163 MPH braking at Sears Point. This appears to be valid testimony to the effectiveness of the brakes for my particular application.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:54 AM
Banned

I would look at Wilwoods set up. They make kits for front and rear disc.Dual masters with balance bars.Drilled rotors. And I bet its a lot cheaper than Viper stuff through the dealer or Brembo direct.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:34 AM
Inactive User

The wilwood tech specs indicate they are "not" for the street, this means no matter how good they are it becomes an issue with the insurance company. This is quite different than off road bolt on parts.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:38 AM
Banned

Yeah,but some of there kits are for conversions from drum to discs for a and b bodys so they are street legal. They use the same calipers I used on race cars so I dont see where the problem is unless I'm missing something.