Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:17 PM
Inactive User

Help Broken valve spring!!!

Hey guy's got a guestion for you. Have anyone of you ever heard of a valve spring breaking in a 12 valver? And if so what was the cause.

One of my buddy's just called me to tell me the bad news, driving home on city streets and all of a sudden he hears a noise that he say's sounded like a broken rod. Pulled over and had it towed to his house. Pulled the valve covers off to find a broken valve. Didn't say if it was a intake or exhaust.

Truck is a 96' 5spd with a little over 70,000 miles.

Do you think Cummins will warranty it? He is calling the dealer to talk to them about it and will let me know what they say. I will keep you posted, TMAC.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:31 PM

Default valve spring

the only time i have seen a broken valve spring was with an exhaust break.when decelerating with the brake on exhaust back preasure builds up against the exhaust valve and if it too week of a spring the back preasure can open the exhaust valve and can cause the spring to break. i've seen the rocker bridges fall out of 24 valve diesels from the valves being too loose.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

Just a update, it was a exaust valve spring that broke. Don't remember right know what cylinder it was but the truck does not have a exaust brake on it.

Had the spring and push rod (it was bent) replaced and has been driven for a week now and no problems. The only concern he had was one of the head bolts had to be removed to replace the bent/broken rod and spring so it might have had a coolent leak into the oil but as yet no leaks

Oh by the way he never did take it to the dealer or talk to Cummins, a guy he knows that is a mechanic did the job in less than two hours.