Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-16-2002, 10:58 PM
Inactive User

Default Edelbrock carb stalling

There is kind of a weird thing happening to my Edelbrock 1406 manual choke carb. I have it on my Jeep for the time being. I am planning on getting a performer manifold and installing the combo on my 360 Dart. Ok the thing thats going on is the engine starts immediately with the choke pulled just past the high idle mode. I'll warm up the engine for approx 10 min then she wants to stall. I have to keep feathering the gas trying to keep it going. I've learned after this happening quite a few times that if I leave it sit for no more than 2 min. it will start right up again and run perfect not stalling at all. This is the 2nd year this carb has been on. It doesnt do this in the summer and seems to happen once the weather turns cool and damp. I live in B.C. What could be the problem? or is the cool dampness the problem? Anyone else with this carb have the same or seen the same problem in a different carb? Seems like an air lock maybe? Freezing up?
Old 12-17-2002, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

Question Have you tried

Have you tryed the carb on another engine?
If so what was the result?
If not try it.
Your symtems are pretty strange.
If you try it on another engine you will know for certain if
the trouble is with the carb or something differant.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:30 AM
Inactive User

I used to drive my duster daily, all weather with a 750 carter comp series on it and it would do something similar in damp cold weather and I found it was icing the front venturis on the carb. I was running a double snorkel dart scoop on it, open to the air cleaner at the time. I found I had to put foam rubber in the openings of the scoop and let it breath warm underhood air, and even then if it was really cold it would do it. If I shut it off and waited a few minutes for the heat of the engine to come up through the intake and thaw it , it would run fine for the rest of the trip. Other than letting it warm up completely before driving it, I never found a reasonable cure, or warm weather came and I no longer cared. But obviously, if you can get the carb warmed up, it goes away. Maybe one of those 70's manifold heat stove deals to the air cleaner would fix it. Worth a try.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:10 PM
Inactive User

Not a bad idea Dan, wondering if the Edelbrock will fit on the stock mainfold on the 360 in my Dart before I go and tear it off. There is a TQ on it now.
Just to add to the problem, I've even tried to start it and go. 2 miles down the road I can feel it bucking a bit and if step on the clutch she dies. Sometimes if I stomp on it into the 4 bbls that will clear it up. Thanks guys keep the ideas coming.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

I had a flashback - wow man, the colours - to the early 90's when a friend of my brother's had us put a clifford intake and a 400 carter AFB (yes, they used to make 400 AFBs) on his furd turd pickup witha 300 sicks (six?). He had the same problem with icing the carb, and as I remember, we put a heat stove on the exhaust manifold and ran the hose to the breather and the problem for the most part went away. Oh yah and we put a sheet metal shield in front of the carb to keep the cold air from around the rad from blowing on the carb. Good luck man. Oh, by the way, you will need an adaptor to put the square bore carb on a TQ manifold. It will physically bolt up, but the primaries won't open.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:41 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

PAW has hot air kits. The number given is HED-24510 for the 1 1/2 X 24', 24511 for the 1 3/4 X 24' and 24512 for the 2 X 24'. Comes with header adaprter, (Stove) clamps and flex pipe from the stove to the air cleaner. $23 bucks.
PAW phone number is818-678-3000
http://www.pawengineparts.com
Old 12-18-2002, 12:27 AM
Inactive User

Default Nope

Quote:
Originally posted by Drews'70
Not a bad idea Dan, wondering if the Edelbrock will fit on the stock mainfold on the 360 in my Dart before I go and tear it off. There is a TQ on it now.
Just to add to the problem, I've even tried to start it and go. 2 miles down the road I can feel it bucking a bit and if step on the clutch she dies. Sometimes if I stomp on it into the 4 bbls that will clear it up. Thanks guys keep the ideas coming.
Nope,it wont fit without one of those spacers that change from
the holley to the themo
Ajmopar may be right on the frost bite therey .
I hadn`t thought of that .
As I don`t have those conditions here.
It would be nice if a friend had a spacer/adapter you could borow.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:55 AM
Inactive User

Im using an adapter to run the carb on my Jeep though its not really a straight shot through as in the primary holes dont line up very good. The secondaries are dead on. Maybe I'll give it a try if I get p'd off enough at it. Before I try anything I'm going to peek down the barb to see if there is any icing happening. Thanks for your input guys. I'll post what works.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:14 PM
Inactive User

you've got a flooding condition.
The clue is letting it sit, which evaporates any puddled fuel.

You might want to strip it down and clean it out, but it could also be a sticking float needle, which the edelbrock manual says to dislodge and clean by pinching the fuel line while the motor is running untill it stalls, and then releasing to fill it back up.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

Mtrv8n; Did you read where I said it only happens when the weather cooled off. 2nd winter now that its been happening and does'nt do it at all when it warms up. By warms up I mean maybe 50 degrees and only when I park the truck outside, never when its in the garage.