Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-06-2000, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have, (wifes car) 98 caravan, did front brake job 4 months ago. Now pedal is pulsating, very similar to other cars I have owned, that had warped rotors. What can cause rotors to warp? I did a top noptch brake job, turned rotors etc... Someone told me that the pistons in these calipers are plastic, any truth in that? Thanks
Old 06-07-2000, 03:35 AM
Inactive User

My 89 Voyager had the same problem after 2 years of use. The rotor was made in Mexico and from what I understand it develops metal fatique. Once the hot rotor goes through a cool puddle or puddles of rainwater, over time it warps. The aftermarket rotors from NAPA are made of heavier steel and tend to last longer. Also, if you had the rotors machined, you may want to check the rotor with a micrometer to see if the machine shops equipment is the problem. Lastly, the caliper pistons on my 89 were ceramic, not plastic. I haven't done a brake job on my wife's 98 Voyager yet so I do not know if the piston is plastic. However, I understand that the OEM pistons are succeptible to seizing which causes the brake pads to wear too early. So I'm not surprized that your 2 year old van needed brakes.

Jeff
Old 06-07-2000, 04:55 AM
Moderate anarchist

this is interesting. I just did the brakes on my wife's 96 Neon. 80k miles on the original pads, rotors looked fine, no pulsing so I cleaned it up, relubed the guides and pins and installed new pads. rears looked fine, so I cleaned, relubed and buttoned them up. Flushed the system with new fluid and she was good to go. I think my pistons were ceramic, they are definately NOT metal.

Steve
Old 06-08-2000, 03:46 AM
Drag Racer

Your first mistake was turning the rotors once they are machined they are thinner and disapate heat even less then before. Put new ones on!