Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-31-2000, 08:57 PM

Ok I thoroughly cleaned the Throttle bodies, pintle and bore. Cleaning them helped the off idle hesitation some but made another problem more evident. Around cruising speed (60 mph) the car feels like it is missing when I let off the gas and also when I get back on it. Sometimes it is even doing it when it is on cruise. One thing that the shop noticed when I had them look at it was that the plugs were leaking compression between the metal and the ceramic. My uncle told me that this was normal in these engines. I am going to replace the plugs and wires again this weekend. Wires were replaced last fall along with the plugs (Bosch Platinums), the plugs being 3 yr replacement and wires being lifetime replacement. It won't cost me anything but my time to replace them. Right now as it is I have replaced plugs recently, AIS motor, throttle position sensor, and cleaned the throttle bodies, pintle, and bore. The throttle bodies were pretty gunked up and I do think that they were part of the problem off idle. Any other suggestions? I really don't feel that the plugs should be leaking compression, but that is just my opinion, any thoughts on that also. When I replaced the plugs I think that I gapped them all to .035". I just read the post that stated they should be gapped to .050". Does that make a noticable difference and why did it change?

Thanks in Advance,
Kyle
Old 06-01-2000, 04:56 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

That compression leaking through to the porcelain is normal. spark plug gap should be .035" this was a revision from .050" as stated on the under hood label.
I am the drivability guy at a dealer and have always had missing problems with bosch platinum plugs(personally I wouldn't use them in my lawnmower). Try new plugs, ohmeter the wires and make sure the coil towers are also clean.

Hope this helps

------------------
70 challenger r/t conv
98 V-10 Q/C SWB 4X4
72 383 swinger
Old 06-01-2000, 07:10 AM
Inactive User

I'm afraid I'll have to second the Bosch plug deal. You say you feel a miss when letting off(?) the throttle? Does this miss just hit once in awile or is it pretty constant. Cruising at 60 and feeling a miss make me think of possible convertor shudder. Real hard to diag without experiencing the prob first hand. Good luck, and go to Mopar and get the plugs.
Old 06-01-2000, 11:29 AM

I have already dumped the bosch plugs. I was beginning to think that it might be converter shudder, also. What would be the fix if it were converter shudder? and around how much do you think it would cost?
Old 06-01-2000, 11:27 PM
Drag Racer

For a TC shudder problem you should change the fluid when you have the trans pan off loosen all the 10mm head valve body bolts (17 or 18) and let it drain for about 15-20 minutes then retorque the valve body bolts and install the new filter and MOPAR!! fluid (most important) Also depending on the year there is a Trans controller flash available to reprogram the controller do this too...the local dealer will be happy to do this for you usually cost around 1 hr labor sometimes less.
Old 06-06-2000, 07:52 PM

I have splitfires in my 3.5, gapped to .050 like the manual says, it is a '95 Intrepid. So far I haven't noticed any power loss or it missing, would it be a good idea to gap them to .035 anyhow?

Sam
Old 06-09-2000, 11:25 PM
Drag Racer

It would be a best idea to take those plugs out and throw them in the trash!
they break at the "split" and the pieces run through your motor. This is only my opinon though!