Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-17-2002, 08:46 PM

Unhappy Vacuum Pump Blues

I probably should have made this post "Its Alive" rather than the vacuum pump blues. I have the bottom vacuum pump leaking oil on my '91 6bt engine. I ordered a new one for $247 from Dodge. I could have scored a rebuilt for around $170. I just didn't want any trouble with this thing. My question is has anyone taken the vacuum pump apart? If so, where can a guy get the shaft seal? That is all that is wrong with mine. I planned on keeping the original and replacing the seal; keeping it as a spare. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OBTW, the "its alive" refers to my '84 crew cab dually long box 6bt powered truck. I drove it for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I have been working on it since, mostly little things left over from the swap. It is straight piped, but not bad in the cab. The rear shaft was bent and vibrated from before. It really got worse for some reason with the Cummins engine. So far it looks like a marraige made in heaven.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Verry happy to see another fellow cummins man, I finished converting a 91 Ramcharger to a cummins and just picked up a 85 Crewcab to convert later next year.
Email me at dzlram@yahoo.com.

Old 12-25-2002, 11:34 PM

Default seal

i would try a diesel shop or parts store that deals in cummins parts. a lot of time the parts are cummins parts and are sometimes less expensive