Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-19-2002, 10:25 AM
Inactive User

Default small bolt pattern woes

since there are only like 2 or 3 aftermarket rims i could find for the 5 on 4 pattern, and since i will be taking the car to the strip a lot this year, i will probably upgrade to the 5 on 4 1/2 pattern.

anyone use the Yukon axles? durability? just looking for a little input cuz they seem a little more affordable.

TD
Old 12-19-2002, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

Most all aftermarket axles are stronger then any factory 5x4 bp axle. you can also get used axles from salvage yard out of van truck c-body d-body with 8 3/4 . have them cut, resplined, get the backing plates off the same rearend or the like ,you cant use the backing-plates off 5x4 bp 1 3/4 brakes!!! , have to be 2'' or 2 1/2 '' brakes backing plates.... but dont get used axles that are tapered either ,cant use them,the reason they have to be out of large vehicle so they are long enough to cut & respline...
there is a web page that explanes all this ,.. I dont know its addy, but one of these guys will post it im sure

coolcarz
Old 12-19-2002, 07:56 PM

I think that the link he is refering to is http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

I would go with the Yukon axles. By the time you pay for used axles, have them cut and splined, and then get the correct backing plates, you are getting close to the cost of the Yukon axles that will work properly with your existing backing plates.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

Most, if not all, of the aftermarket axles use the more common big bolt pattern style brakes. The axle flange is 1/4" further out from the housing flange. Also the register the brake drum centers on is smaller on the 4" pattern. This is not to say the axle companys won't make them.

Cecil
Old 12-19-2002, 11:15 PM
Inactive User

Default wheels

I had Centerline make me some SBP convo-pros. Didn't take that long or cost that much more. I am pretty sure you can special order from lots of wheel manufacturers.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:44 AM
Inactive User

True ,, but the problem with that is , if you ever have to replace the front rotors or your rear drums.... eeeeekkkkkkkk! unless you know something i dont , it's a nightmare to find and thats not the worst part... you can get them but you'll pay out the bunz ,, like 185.00 and up each rotor and 175.00 each for rear drums , and probably not bell type, I got told they were no longer had them the one or two places I found them, found used ones , geezzzzz for 160.00 ea had to be turned. if found ,.. if not, the stack the 5x4 bp rims in the corner and convert to 5x4.5 bp and have tons of rims and sizes available.... and the rears on 5x4bp have 1 3/4 brake shoes, they usually have to be special ordered, ready available but not on their shelf..... I did conv my front, doing rear now....... rotors and drums , shoes right down at the local auto store, ........ oh wait you can get rotors but not on the hub the you purchase the lugs, at i heard prices of 8-14 dollars per lug and then paying to be pressed on.. thats from 1 guy I talked to he's the only one, that says he did that.. ok the end....

coolcarz
Old 12-21-2002, 08:55 PM
Inactive User

Slant Cecil is correct about the backing plates and spacing issues you will find when using an aftermarket 5X4.5 in an A body housing. This never was an issue for me because both of my swaps included either B body brake hardware, or 8 1/4 brake hardware. If you do the swap, plan on getting donor parts from another vehicle. Unless you want to convert it over to disk...

Everyone probably already knows that I'm a big fan of Moser engineering's axles and products. They have three styles of axles for you to chose from for the 5X4.5 swap: stock, stonger than stock, and all out racing. I had a pair of Moser resplined C body axles that cost me $145 with bearings and ext studs for about $145 in 1990. They held up okay for racing a 12 second 3300 pound car. My new rearend has the "stonger than stock versions" that I got with bearings and studs for about $400 to my door. I am unfamiliar with Yukon, but if the price is significantly better and they were recommended by someone who is doing the same thing you are, you should probably try them out.

rustcowl has a good point too, in that Summit and Jegs may not list any 5X4 rims becuase they never came on a Chevy. Since they are a little uncommon, they won't be listed too readily on their website(s). It would be a good idea to give the rim companies a call regarding this. I know for a fact that Centerline and Weld both still make rims to fit the 5X4, but 15 inch rims are a little harder to find in the right size than 14's. And we probably all know how few of choices there are in 14 inch racing tires....

Dartman

PS How fast of car we talking about here?
Old 12-22-2002, 12:36 AM
Inactive User

Default a body axles

I ordered a set of axles from Moser.
Had them made to the stock 10" x 1 3/4" brakes.
Had a hard time finding new drums for them, but finally did.
Only had to drill drums to big bolt pattern.
Everything fits good.
I have a pic, but don't know how to change pixel size to post it.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:11 AM
Inactive User

Default axle

I'm so out of touch. I've never heard of Yukon axles . I put a set of Mosers in my 70 Duster about 12 years ago. They have been great. Originally, they were green brgs, but I switched back to tapered rollers about 5 years ago.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:01 PM
Inactive User

Demon71 has a good point, too.

When you send your specs into Moser (or Youkon) you need to measure the axles 8 ways from Sunday to make sure that the only thing that will be different is the bolt pattern. Most axles that Moser makes for A bodies will be setup for B body brake hardware, and therefore have an additional 1/2 inch between the axle flange and bearing plate (? not sure of correct term). They also need to know what size the drum pilot (? not sure here either - the thing that centers the drum) in order to fit your existing setup.

You will not find the correct drums as he mentioned as well. Redrilling 5X4's is your only alternative, which is not even remotely as bad as redrilling both your drums and axles.

Dartman
Old 12-22-2002, 02:42 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: a body axles

Quote:
Originally posted by demon71
I have a pic, but don't know how to change pixel size to post it.
email it to me and i'll do it for ya. i'll also put it on a hidden page of my site so it can be posted within the post, and not as attatchment. i'll email ya instructions on how to do it, as soon as i'm finished.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:17 AM
Inactive User

Dartman,

The combo puts out a guesstimated 450-475 hp on the bottle (100 hp shot). Just got it together at the end of last summer so I didnt really have a chance to get to the track (cuz it wasn't brken in). Chasis is as follows:

70 swinger with approx 3500lb weight (with me in it)
ss springs
pinion snubber
4.56:1 rear w/sure grip
subframe connectors (adding this winter)
if i do the axles over winter, i will also add ET streets on some 15" rim

I plan on swapping to front discs too.

When I had about 500 miles on it (in the fall) I did a couple of hard runs (on drag radials) and it would not hook up. If i heated them a little, traction got a smidge better, but not much. Even from a 20 mph roll it would spin out of control.

TD
Old 12-23-2002, 12:03 PM
Inactive User

Rice a body axles

Here is a pic of my rear with the Moser axles,
Had them made to the stock 10"x 13/4" brakes with the small
center,long studs and green bearings,shipped to my door only cost $300.

hope this works,
Thanks 72 Road Runner for fixin it for me.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

pretty neat! 300 bux is good, I'll look into the mosers too!
Old 12-23-2002, 12:39 PM
islcuda

Default yukon axles

hey guys just thought i,d jump in, I ordered new axles with 5 on 4 1/2 from yukon for my 67 barracuda and lo and behold it all goes together nicely until i put my drum on, it wont go all the way even though i redrilled the hubs to 5 on 4.5. Pull the axles measure the diff, between stock and the yukons and yup as posted earlier the offset on the bearings is 1/2 more on the yukons, phone randys and yup they are based on the b body,lol, so scrounged up some b body drums and all is fine, not sure if I need backing plates as it all went together properly and everything appears to fit, asmfar as the fronts go I,m just gonna rebuild or i mean replace all the rotors disc etc on the front and run with 5 on 4 as I have 8 dam tires I can wear out first. I know I know it will sit funny but the car is getting a 440 and 10 point cage and will not see any street at all, Tim
Old 12-23-2002, 03:20 PM
Inactive User

Wink brakes

If you use the b-body brakes, the tires will stick out a little further than a body stuff.
As far as front brakes, I installed a Wilwood disc brake set-up.

If you look under Wilwod brakes you should find a pic of mine .
They won't let me post it twice.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:00 PM
Inactive User

no problem... when the pic is in the post, and not an attatchment, then there isn't much of a limit in pix size... all i did was change it from bmp (bitmap, is bigger file) to jpg (jpeg, is smaller file) and put it on my brothers server so you can post it... i can do it for anyone that wants me to...i have a lot of time cause my manager is a jerk and only scedules me for 1 or 2 days a week... and i only get paid $3/hr with 2% tipout... at the end of 2 weeks, it MIGHT average out to $5.15/hr... my job sux...
Old 12-24-2002, 11:06 AM
Inactive User

I have a set of mosers in my '72 dart and have no complaints.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:26 PM
Read : Untouchable

69 dart 360 low 11s on the bottle
all i did was had a machine shop drill out the axles and drums to larger bolt patter, cost me 80 bucks canadian
have a full season on them now, no problems to report
Old 01-02-2003, 09:23 AM
Inactive User

that's an idea. lemme ponder and look into that!
Old 01-07-2003, 11:40 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

will B-body rotors fit onto the stock Dart spindles? My local Car Quest can get the rotors in the 4 inch pattern but they were fairly expensive. This is on my kid's car and he isn't made out money. Looking for the best route to go. He wants some of those new American Tourq-Thrusts, but they aren't made for the 4 inch pattern
70 Dart 340