Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-07-2000, 04:48 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Hello everyone. Well last Friday I was driving home and I went to shift and the gear selector went slack(in neutral) on my '91 Spirit R/T. I had seen this before so I knew what it was. The end of the shift cable that is parallel to the tranny slipped off the lever on the tranny. Well it turned out that the problem was the little rubber grommet between the peg on the tranny lever and the loop of the shift cable tore and fell off. Probably due to some spirited driving and harsh weather. Anyway I used duct tape to hold the cable to the lever and it got me home. But the dealers say the only way for me to get the little rubber grommet is to buy the whole shift cable, about $150, for a two dollar part. So my question is, are there any other trannys that used the same grommet, or is there another place I can get a grommet? The likely hood of finding one of these cars in a junkyard is slim and none since only 1400 or so were made, which the dealer already suggested to me. So any other input would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

------------------
Hard_ChargerR/T

'69 Charger R/T
'91 Spirit R/T

[This message has been edited by Hard_ChargerR/T (edited June 07, 2000).]
Old 06-11-2000, 04:23 PM
Drag Racer

you can get that bushing from any 90 and newer dodge fwd 5 spd car til 94
Old 06-14-2000, 03:30 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Hard Charger R/T and everyone else with this problem.

I had the same problem on my 91 Dodge Shadow and 95 Neon on both the original bushings are plastic and get brittle and break, fall out and are lost. I used the rubber bushings from Autozone for the Sawybar ends. I cut them down to size added a washer on top and e-clip to hold it on and whola it works better than new with no flex at all.

This is cheap and easy to do. You dont really need the e-clip and washer but i did it so that there wasn't a chance of the bushing and rod end from coming off.

I have been thinking about doing a aluminum version of this and marketing it. Is anyone interested??

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Formula S recreation
Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 06-14-2000, 07:19 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guys. I just hit my dad up for money and replaced the entire cable since I was afraid of breaking the plastic bushing just trying to get it out of the rod end, anyway needless to say it works like new. I think that aluminum bushing idea is great, especially for those of use who enjoy the art of hard shifting. I would be interested in buying one if it was available. Keep us posted.

Thanks again,
Matt