Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-20-2002, 12:55 AM
Inactive User

Paint

I may be in the wrong forum, but I was just wanting to get some opinions on paint. I have a 71 Duster, and I cant decide which color to paint it.....either Plum Crazy, or Panther Pink. Either color is gonna have the 340 stripe kit. Any suggestions?
Old 12-20-2002, 01:25 AM
Inactive User

My bias? Panther Pink.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Inactive User

I just cant see either color with the 340 stripes....the white will look too bright against either color, and the black wont stand out enough....course it's your car so do what your partial to. I saw a black on black on black cuda once with a black hockey stripe! Follow your instincts.

Old 12-20-2002, 12:37 PM
Inactive User

Ive painted a mopar plum crazy (68 barracuda), and my cuda now (69 cuda) is panther pink. Currently Im changing this pink one to plum crazy, so i gues thats my bias...
one thing to consider though if you dont like criticism...dont go panther pink, i dont give a rats breakfast for other peoples opinion on MY color choices, BUT one of the most common comments is "love your car, but that color has got to go...blah-blah-blah..."
I dont get it, people come to shows and cruise-ins to see cars that arent ordinary jelly-bean cars, but cant see past their own homo-phobic ideas of the the color pink, and they have to say something negative about it to protect their ego.
ok...not trying to rant, just giving my experience...
oh by the way...
my wifes 71 340 duster is tenatively planned for an orange color MUCH like the 2003 vw orangeish-red color ...
Old 12-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Inactive User

Have not had any criticism around my panther pink Cuda about choice of colors. Black on Panther Pink with black interior really looks good. However, the next Cuda I build will probably be Plum Crazy.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

first off i have to say is paint it the way you like and who cares what others say.but as a painter and as a previous plum crazy car owner(70 r/t challenger),ive only seen this color look good on a challenger and a 70 super bee and this is from a painters point of view.this color doesnt compliment too many body styles and if the body work is less than perfect it can look like a real mess.this is just my 2 cents and i hope i dont offend any one.good luck
Old 12-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Ultimately it's your ride, but I am a BIG fan or Plum Crazy myself. Purple with white stripes stand out a lot. The black stripes are a bit more subdued as previously mentioned, but I am very happy with my FC7 Bee. By the way, purple sometimes does not get any respect either...I have had several people tell me "...cool car, but I don't know about purple..." or tell me it should have been black. If I wanted black I would have found a different car. A large part of why I bought the car in the first place is because it truly is a FC7 71 Super Bee.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:00 PM
Inactive User

I'm also partial to the Plum Crazy as my Duster will see that color. Most around here are that Sublime Green. Pink would stand out more, but it is your car. I'm starting to become more liking to the B1 "Powder Blue" that my Scamp is.......
Old 12-20-2002, 06:04 PM
Inactive User

Default pink!

I am going to paint my 4spd AAR-clone pink. It's going to be my wife's car, but I won't mind driving it. But I think pink looks better on the e-body Cudas, than on the a-body Cudas. I think the early Demon/Dusters would look fine in pink. I'd go for the black stripe and blk & white interior. Whatever you paint it, think about the fact you're going to have to live with it for a long time. Don't get caught up in a fad that you'll be bored with later.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:30 AM

I saw the triple black Cuda trailer queen at the '99 Spring FLing (I think) and it looked very sharp. Who would think a black strobe stripe on a black car would be noticeable? It is more of a flat black or a satin against the mirror black of the perfect paint. Newer Impalas have it like that too. I like the Sublime on the B's but it looks comic on the smaller A's. Didnt they have "Top Banana" yellow?
Old 12-21-2002, 12:57 AM
Inactive User

Old 12-21-2002, 01:28 AM
Banned

Plum crazy with the white 340 stripe kit would look cool. My mom bought a new Demon painted like that from my uncles dealership the year after I was born. Cool car. First one I ever drove.