Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-20-2002, 06:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Any good 440/915 combos recomendations?

Guys:

I've been thinking about dusting off my "boat anchor" 440, and start the long process of getting it ready to go into my Duster.

The block is a 1966 440 with 915 heads from a Chrysler New Yorker that apparently had upwards of 300,000 miles on the original motor (a "well seasoned" block for sure). As it sits, I understand that it has a spun rod bearing, but I never talked to the original owner. I assume that this is a forged crank motor based upon the year and the smaller harmonic balancer, but I really don't know for sure.

I'm curious what real world combos might be out there using these heads, and what ET's their capable of. I have asked some questions in the past about these heads, and basically have been told that they cannot possibly flow well enough to make 500 HP, but I'd like to try. I have also heard conflicting reports as to how big the valves actually are. I'm assuming that these are 2.14/1.80 until I am told otherwise, or I go out and unbury them and take some measurements. And yes, I do know that I need to run lead substitute or race gas with these heads. That's no big deal, since I've run race gas for the last ten years in my small block anyway. Are there any porting templates available for these heads? Most articles on the subject usually use the 906's, 452's, or Mopar Stage series heads. I can do a basic gasket match, clean up the combustion chamber, and polish the crud out of everything, but will it be enough?

I really like the closed chamber design in the heads themselves, which would allow me to not lose any compression. But, in large cam applications, is it necessary to fly cut the pistons? I would like to buy an "off the shelf" piston, that won't bottom out a valve on a piston during the assembly process. Does anyone have a piston CR and part number in the 10.5 range that will work well with the 915 heads and a lift of around .550-590? Or is this a pipe dream and I should have the pistons fly cut right out of the box (and losing some CR in the process)?

About the cam: Anyone with a 440/915 combo want share their cam specs and ET's for a combo similar to this one? In Desktop Dyno, I cannot get any mechanical cam to even come close in HP or torque to a 554 Hydraulic Roller cam.

Like everyone else here with a big block project, I'd love to get a set of Edlebrocks or Indy heads, but it just ain't happenin' any time soon. Since I will be saving for Edlebrocks in the future, I also have NO interest in picking up a pair of 906's or 452's to work on instead (nor do I want to wait until I can afford them).

Thanks for any input...
Dartman
Old 12-20-2002, 07:47 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Default Hey Dartman!

We have alot in common. I have a 73 Duster that I am in the process of putting a 66 440 engine in but my heads are the 516. same as your head too (915). I ported mine my self about (50 hours) had 2.14 and 1.88 exhaust valves droped in. Mine is standard bore with a .010/.01 onder size steel crank. The engine is dated 10/30/66 actually 67 I guess. The cam I have is a slid comps old cam around 240 dur@ .050 and about .525 lift. There is Isky Ductile rockers on it too.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:15 PM

If the heads are stock they're 2.07 & 1.74 or 2.07 & 1.66.

I've run several sets of these heads from bone stockers with the .509/292 purple shaft cam to Ported with Big Valves with a .590 purple shaft and one set with a .625 crane roller. 500 hp is do-able no problem. If you plan to port and add bigger valves I would suggest you spend your money on a set of EB's instead.

Good luck,

Greg