Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-20-2002, 08:55 PM
Inactive User

Default 4:56 gears V 4:88 31"x 10.5 tires

Wonder what gear to buy. Here are the specs:

440 with Indy SR heads ported to max wedge and a little bowl porting. 5.90 purple shaft w/range 3 to 7,000 (basically a mild 440)

Indy dominator with h/rise manifold
Tubo Action trans w/brake and 5500 stall

Having ladder bars installed because I like the way the car will sit and the added room for a 31" x 10.5" tires. Although I realized based on the feedback recieved on the moparchat line that the SS springs will work.

Car estimated weight based = approximately 3400lbs; 65 B Body plymouth Satellite. Will learn actual weight when ladder bars are installed next month.

I was thinking about a 4:30. The guy doing the work on my car thinks I should run 4:88. The majority of the guy that I talked to this summer at the track with same car seem to run a 4:56 gear.

Also, can you shead some information on the back spacing for the rims? The person who is doing all of the suspension work will cut and weld the axle housing ends on, but I was just wondering if the set up can allow for a 4 1/2 back spacing. It may make it easier for me to take the tires off though the original wheel wells if the back spacing remains a minimum as possible.

You guys really helped me to make my mine up with the SS spring vs the ladder bars. I was seeking the same type of open comments with the gears and maybe how tire size will affect the gear ratio.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:09 PM

I'm running 4.86's and running out of gear. The quicker you go the less gear you'll need. This might help:

(Ratio x mph/tire diameter) x 336 = will give you a guesstimate on your RPM at the end of the 1/4.

(4.88 x 130mph/31) x 336 = 6876rpm

Not bad if you don't plan on going any faster. Add the bottle and you're out of gear! Also, will it see any street time? You're welcome to come out for a visit and I'll give you a ride with my 4.86's on the street (same cam as you too! ). Get's really loud after about 30 minutes.

Later,

Greg
Old 12-20-2002, 09:36 PM
Inactive User

Default tire size

tire size has a lot to do with it.
If you were running 32`s I would recomend the 456.
but with the 430`s you would be much better off later on.
As stated before the more pwer your makeing the less gear
you will need.
If you go with the 430`s you will leave some room to grow.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:25 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by gsmopar
I'm running 4.86's and running out of gear. The quicker you go the less gear you'll need. This might help:

(Ratio x mph/tire diameter) x 336 = will give you a guesstimate on your RPM at the end of the 1/4.

Not bad if you don't plan on going any faster. Add the bottle and you're out of gear! Also, will it see any street time? You're welcome to come out for a visit and I'll give you a ride with my 4.86's on the street (same cam as you too! ). Get's really loud after about 30 minutes.

Later,

Greg

Thanks Greg. The infor was very insightful. What does it mean running out of gear. Does that mean that one would need to go from a 4.86 to say a 5.13 or the opposite way.

Can you tell me more about the internals about your engineen i.e. pistons, rods, carbs. Your ride looks excellent and I would love to take a ride. I hate these Ohio winters. Lived in NC and Baltimore for six years both where the winters were much more mild.

What times are you turning with a speed of 130. Based on some of the cars I've been watching the past couple of years, similar weight, engineen size, and so on run about 120 in the 1/4.

I would like to keep the rpm as low as possible while getting the best time. 6500 would be something that I feel safe with. Based on my limited knowledge, I'm not sure that what I wrote made any sense.

The car will see some streets but probably not more than 16 miles in one direction to the local car hops. Would take back roads with max 35 mph. Car will not see highway with current set up.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:32 AM
Inactive User

Quote:

Later,

Greg
you still owe me a ride in the santa sleigh
Old 12-21-2002, 10:32 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: tire size

Quote:
Originally posted by dirty dan
tire size has a lot to do with it.
If you were running 32`s I would recomend the 456.
but with the 430`s you would be much better off later on.
As stated before the more pwer your makeing the less gear
you will need.
If you go with the 430`s you will leave some room to grow.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:39 AM
Inactive User

Quote:

Later,

Greg

Are you running a dana, ford, 8/34 ...? What your reason for the selection process? Are you satisfied with the type.

Someone on the baord recommended a 9" ford over a dana. I originally wanted to go with a ford, but got too many suggestions for the dana (see 8 3/4 v dana)
Old 12-21-2002, 11:01 AM

Crazy Mopar Girl, You know where I live . I still need help on my disc conversion.... please.

Doungta1, When I say "Running Out Of gear" I mean that on the nitrous I redline the top of 3rd gear by the end of the 1/4. I suggest a 4.30 for your application. It will give you some room on the big end (top of 3rd gear), but still support a hell of a launch. I'm running a little 8&3/4 and have had 0 problems. I launch with the "foot brake" method. I'm sure if I ran a trans brake I'd hurt parts As for the engine and car, It's a 446, 12.5:1 TRW, stock rods, stock steel crank, Edelbrock Heads, M1 intake, 1150 dominator, .590 MP purple shaft, 10" 4000 stall converter, manual valve body torqueflite. This is my current engine combo that is in the final stages (haven't run yet). I ran 11.88 with the same set up except for ported 915 heads, wiend hi ram, and dual holley 600's. The 11's were run at 5500 ft elevation (Albuquerque NM) with NO nitrous on a 29 inch Mickey thompson tire. I went through the lights around 6,000 rpm. I expect my new engine to be faster, and I've added a NOS cheater system (125 - 250hp). I also like to drive the car to the local cruzin spots on the weekends and the 4.86's get to be a pain at 45mph.

Later,

Greg