Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-16-2000, 09:18 PM
Inactive User

Question

A Couple of weeks ago I asked the question "Is a 97 Chrysler Concorde LXI (3.5L) Engine block made of cast iron or aluminum?" I got a reply that it was iron, but I had my water pump replaced about a month ago and the block is aluminum. I have all the service reports and the engine has never been worked on until now. How is it possible that our block is aluminum?
Thanks,
Randy
Old 06-16-2000, 09:50 PM

I am not totally positive on this one but I know what you are talking about. The front cover on the engine is aluminum, but the block is cast iron. If you notice on the front cover when you were replacing your water pump you can't see where the head ends and the block begins. I think that I am correct. Once again I will say that I am not totally positive.

Just my $.02
Old 06-19-2000, 06:48 PM

Yeah, the cover that encloses the cam sprockets, crank pulley, timing belt, water pump, etc... is aluminum. The rest of the block is made out of pumice.

That's right, lava rock.

See, if your hands get really greasy under the hood, just rub them on the block and the pumice will clean it off.

Sam