Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-31-2000, 09:25 PM

I am trying to find a pair of headers and a performance exhaust for the 3.5L in my Intrepid. Also, I was wondering about performance throttle bodies, ignition, computer chips, and any mods that any of you have done to your Intrepid. Anything that you have done would be good information for me. I just got my Intrepid a year ago and have finally paid it off and am getting the money to give it alittle more life. I was surprised to see that I beat my father in his '96 Cadillac with a 4.9L V-8.
Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by swartlkk (edited May 31, 2000).]
Old 06-01-2000, 12:28 AM

Sorry there isn't much in the way of aftermarket for the intrepids. You'll probably have to make your performance parts, luckily the 3.5L is a good simple engine that is easy to work on since it is latterally opposed. Right now I'm thinking of putting a second intake where the battery is and moving the battery into the trunk. I'll probably modify the compartment and use dual cone filters. But if you want noticable performance in about 5 minutes. Pull the air flow restrictor out of the intake hose between the air box and the engine intake duct. It pops right out, and it will sound louder and be faster. But you may want to replace the rippled tube with a piece of ducting to better increase air flow. Later I am getting dual exhaust and I'll tell ya how it goes. By the way there is a huge resonator between the catalytic converter and the muffler, it sucks up alot of power. If your budget can handle it there might be custom turbo or vacum driven supercharger, but i don't know for sure. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-01-2000, 01:05 AM

Has anyone had any luck with removing the resonator. How does it sound with out it. How about the flow. I would assume that it would flow better but does it mess up the computer at all?
Old 06-01-2000, 01:14 AM

Also I am going to fab up my own intake tubes. Make them out of 2" and 3" aluminum. Fallow the same path as the original just make it look a lot better. Then bring the inlet over on the stock side, put a large K&N Cone filter at the inlet, and get rid of the stock air box. This should free up some room for later mods. I am looking at some electric blowers. Should be able to open enough room up in there. Keep me posted on your mods and I'll do the same.
Old 06-01-2000, 01:29 AM

What kind of electric blowers are you looking for? I'll probably get E-RAMs one for each intake tube (when i do it). They're available at www.electricsupercharger.com How are you planning on forming the aluminum pipes. Welding? or is it flexible piping like the kind used on cooling and plumbing? As for the resonator, i heard some guy just ran a straight pipe from the cat-back. he says there is no computer error. There is a computer mod available at superchips.com
Old 06-01-2000, 02:23 AM

The E-RAM is exactly what I am talking about I just couldn't remember what I did with the literature. I will be welding the aluminum. My father has a mig that is capable of doing an excellent job. I will post pics when I get it done. I am specing it out at the moment for clearances and the such. I was planning on moving the battery into the trunk sometime soon too. I might wait to see if an actual supercharger is manufactured to fit the 3.5L before anything happens in that area. My next big step is the KONI SPORT shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering springs. Just priced them from www.tirerack.com . It'll set me back close to a grand. Guess that is what I work for though! Write me at swartlkk@hotmail.com . I will post everything that is worthwhile in our conversations. It is easier too.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2000, 09:00 PM

I pulled that resonator off about a year ago, you're talking about the huge one under the rear seat, right? Right now I'm just running straight-pipe from the cat back, but I picked up a Thrush California Boss Turbo muffler (so it'll be nice and legal for inspection don't ya know). The stock Catalytic converter does quite a bit of muffling, but if you plan to take the straight pipe route, don't punch it around the Police Station, as this girl ROARS.

Lets see, I also ran a K&N air filter for about 40K miles, then put in the original Mopar filter and noticed a gain in power. I removed the intake muffler, eventually am going to rig some form of ram-air setup. I am running Castrol Syntec Blend 10W-30, Splitfire plugs, and the recommended 89 Octane fuel. On average I pull about 400 miles from a tankful before I even touch the reserve (the 93-97 Intrepid's have an 18 gallon tank, the gauge reads empty when you have 2 gallons left). I know that Hypertech has a computer for the Intrepid, as does Superchips.

Keep us posted.
Sam
Old 06-11-2000, 01:04 AM

If you "recharge" your K&N you'll get even more power. K&N filters should be "recharged" every 30,000 miles just like replacing your normal filter. You can get a recharge kit for about $10.00 but puttin' up a hose to it will work just as fine. The kit is just a bunch of oil you soak it in. By the way how much of a power increase did you notice when you took out the resonator, do you think it would be worth it to go with dual exhuast? By the way where are you planning on running that ram air? Are you going to knock out your right head light?

[This message has been edited by brun064 (edited June 11, 2000).]
Old 06-12-2000, 03:25 AM

I checked again on that Hypertech thing, it's called the Programmer III or something like that, you can read about it on the site. I did have a noticeable boost in power and a little more low end torque when I got rid of the resonator. I just recently had a turbo muffler put on the car, a Thrush California Boss Turbo. The car is quieter now than when I first got it (stock) and the performance hasn't decreased... The resonator sucks away a lot of the power. As for the ram air idea, I was thinking something more along the lines of cutting a hole in the hood to the left of the air intake, then running a hose from the intake to a K&N cone filter, and then to a small scoop on the hood. It's still on paper so i've got plenty of time to play with ideas.

Sam
Old 06-13-2000, 05:38 AM

I looked all over the hypertech site and all i saw is that they make the Programmer III for "chrysler cars." Does this mean the LHs for sure or is it just a guess? I was looking at it and isn't just a chip, you can set your own shift points, rev limit, speed limit and other stuff. I sure hope they make this for the LHs, becuase I could use a sooner 2nd gear down shift and test out my new Z rated tires....by the way whats the maximum fine for 130 in a 65?
Old 06-19-2000, 07:04 PM

That's the bad part about the LH's, with my Acclaim when I was tagged for 115mph I explained there was no way in hell my 4-banger could go that fast...Now with the Intrepid they KNOW it can go that fast...DOH!

Sam

Quote:
Originally posted by brun064:
by the way whats the maximum fine for 130 in a 65?[/B]