Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Inactive User

Default manual steering

I picked up a 24-1 manual steering box from a 73 Duster that I want to bolt into my 74 Challenger. First will it bolt up like the power box with the exception of the steering column issues? Second, I know there is an adaptor out there, is there a cheaper alternitave to the adaptor? Thanks.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:52 PM

Am I missing something? I just put a manual box in my power equipped '65 and the power steering column slipped right into to the manual box splines. The steering wheel is about 3 inches closer to the dash, but that is it. No adapters needed in my case unless you want the original position of the steering wheel. I did use the power coupler socket, but they looked the same to me. I have about 1.5 inches of adjustment becasue the socket is pretty deep.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:31 PM
Inactive User

Default steering

Thanks for the info, I will mock it up first and take it from there!
Old 12-23-2002, 06:51 PM
Inactive User

when I swapped to power from manual steering, I found that either column will accept either coupler (part with splines in it) but the coupler itself is way different. The box itself should bolt in. I have heard of guys welding two couplers together instead of the adapter to make up for the length you need for a manual column. problem is that the manual couplers are harder to find, let alone finding two to weld together. probably because more people convert TO manual steering than the other way around.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:41 PM
Inactive User

Default steering

I have the entire steering column from the duster at my disposal , so maybe I could work something out.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:18 PM
Inactive User

Don't put yourself in a dangerous situatution. This is your steering. The older cars have a different column design. The newer cars have a colapsable column, I think '67 was the first year. You can push it in to go from manual to power but don't extend it to go from power to manual. The splines on a power box are smaller the manual boxes so couplers have to be swapped. A lot of Dodge vans used the same column for power and manual steering. They used an 3" extention adaptor when using the manual box. This can be used along with the manual type coupler that was used. Not real easy to locate but easier and cheaper than an E-body manual column. The Firm Feel uses the power type coupler so the swap is easier( ya don't have to change couplers). At $125 they are cheaper than a E-body manual steering column.

Cecil
Old 12-25-2002, 01:41 AM
Inactive User

Is it the end of steering column shaft coupler that is the difference in the length? or is it the steering shaft ? or both? on A and b bodys.... I switched my 64 ply belvedere years ago power to man and thought I only changed the end of steering column coupler... and not the shaft.....but i dont know for sure ?? thanks
Old 12-25-2002, 02:13 AM
Inactive User

The couplers are differentin diameter and length, the earlier A-bodies were also different. On the later model cars with collapsible steering columns the shaft can be tapped from the coupler end breaking the teflon or plastic pieces holding the two halves together, then the steering shaft can be puled to the desired length. Holes need to be drilled to replace the pieces of plastic that hold the steering shaft at the desired length. Mopar also sells a steering adaptor and it is also costly. Find that Duster and get the steering coupler, you need it. Hope you understand that all power steering boxes are 15.7-1 ratio and the firm feel washers can be purchased at the dealers for about $30.00.