Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-23-2000, 01:21 AM
Intense Blue Member

Exclamation

Lots of owners have been bemoaning the lack of a cold air intake for their LH cars. I installed a home made intake with K&N conical filter in my Intrepid ES and liked the improved performance, but I too was troubled by the "hot underhood air" the engine was ingesting. I decided to build some cold air ducting to correct the problem, but as an engineer I know I needed baseline data before starting.

I taped the sensor from a remote thermometer to the top of the filter element, then drove around for an hour. At a constant 45 mph I was surprised to see that at an ambient 64 degrees F the temperature of the air in contact with the filter was 72 degrees. I repeated the test over and over during that hour. It would heat up to around 85F at a light, but after a hundred yards or so it dropped back under 75F. I will no longer worry about hot air reaching my intake - 8 degrees is not enough of a rise to worry about, and certainly not enough to warrant building an elaborate cold air ducting system. Other cars may be different, and hotter or colder days may effect the results, but on my Intrepid with my intake, it just isn't a problem.
Old 07-23-2000, 04:10 AM
Inactive User

Glad to see some science behind what you tried. Good to see that the seat of your pants doesn't do the talking for you.

You did not mention where under the hood of your LH the K&N conical filter was located. Have you tried any other filters? Mopar uses(?produces) a conical filter for use on the cold air intake kit for it's 5.2 and 5.9 liter V8's.
Old 07-23-2000, 07:12 AM
Intense Blue Member

Cool

I've got the K&N 'Gen II' system on my Dakota R/T's 5.9, and another K&N 'filtercharger' system on my Mazda MX-6's 2.5. The Dakota is a "cold air" system with a heat shield. I had intended to do something similar with the ES, but not now.

The conical filter on my ES is attached to a short length of 3" ABS tubing and a 45 degree ABS elbow. The elbow is attached to the rear intake resonator with a rubber coupling, and the filter hangs right above the battery where the front resonator and filter box used to be.

The inner fender is heavily punched with louvers, and apparently it does a good job of evacuating hot air. I suspect that the underhood air temp drops the moment the car starts moving, but the thermometer has some lag time to its reading, and it takes a few seconds to drop off.