Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-31-2002, 06:30 PM
Inactive User

Default NOS Sportsman Fogger

Has any of you or any of your friends used the NOS Sportsman Fogger setup befor? I've been researching nitrous setups and this seems to be the best one... just looking for some personal opinions/experiences on this rig..... direct port injection for both the N20 and fuel seem to be huge benefits.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:06 PM

I've had friends use it. I've only used plate systems so this is 3rd hand info. Anyway, the kit comes very rich from the factory. Major ET gains are to be had by leaning out the fuel pills. Of course go in very small steps and check your plugs after each run!!! Kaaa Booooommmm If you're not careful!

Later,

Greg
Old 01-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Inactive User

Is there a benefit to this system, over the powershot or super powershot?(Not that I've used either one, or know anything about NOs)

It seems to be have more stuff, but it also seems more suited for efi applications.

I've been looking at the power shot and super powershot systems. They seem to be available at a decent price from Canadian Hi-performance discount. (If you american guys go to the site you will think the prices are outrageous, but remember they are in Canadian funds).

The prices there(on things , in general) are very good for us canucks.

www.hi-performance.com
Old 01-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Inactive User

From what I have gathered, it is like comparing TBI to PFI--you know, wet plenum versus dry. I think the idea is to put a more concentrated, more dense fog right in front of the mouth of the intake port to make sure all cylinders get an equal dose. Also, the foggers can go up to higher levels than plate systems.

A friend and I ran across an interesting setup on e-bay the other evening--it was a plate for TBI Chevrolets with two fogger nozzles instead of a spray bar. Has anyone seen this from a manufacturer or was it home-made? I thought that if it worked, a similar system could be fabbed and used on my 2.5 Dakota as no spray-bar plates are made for it that I have seen. Any input?
Old 01-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the interest and replies guys.... as far as fabbing something for a 2.5L goes I dont know, and would that motor even hold up to it ya think?
Old 01-02-2003, 12:56 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, a 75 horse shot shouldn't be a problem. I would not try for too much on my daily driver.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:23 PM

Powershot = Non adjustable Plate
Super Powershot = Adjustable Plate up to 175 hp shot
Cheater = Adjustable Plate up to 250
Sportsman Fogger = Direct port adjustable up to 350 (I think)
Pro Shot Fogger = Direct port adjustable up to more than your engine can handle

My $.02: Plates are easier to install and adjust. Direct port allows very fine adjustments (I think in 50hp incriments) and big power levels. Alot of the EFI kits use single or dual fogger nozzles plumbed into the airbox. Never used them... I did get to ride in a 5.0 Mustang with one of these systems. 11.50's on a very streetable car!

Later,

Greg
Old 01-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Inactive User

This is just my 2 cents worth....

A lot of nitrous development has been going on here at Edelbrock, and NOS is no longer the leader in that area. Since Holley bought NOS, most of the people who worked there when they were doing well are no longer there. And in fact, a lot of them now work here at Edelbrock. If your interested in nozzles, check out our new one....

Ford drag racer Billy Glidden loves it, and he is the fastest nitrous drag racer in his league with it, only turbo guys are competing with him.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Inactive User

Post Hey RogerH

So maybe that is why NOS has yet to get back with me. I sent in a ? over a year ago. I read in the bigshot instruction book that they recomend using a fuel w/ a very high specific gravity. I don't remember now the exact number but it was like .76 or higher. I asked them where I could find such a fuel and they never got back with me. I belive the guys name was Matt Moore.
I have been using the VP 116 octane race gas, and so far I have had no problems. I would like to know if there is anything to this...
Old 01-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Inactive User

Hey, Roger...

Does Edelbrock have any recommendations against using your fogger nozzles in a plate like I was talking about? I know that a fuel solenoid is not typically used in conjunction with factory electronic fuel management, but I was wondering how it would do. If the air/fuel ratio were to rise to levels above 14.7:1 would the incoming higher voltage from my O2s drive the PCM into a frenzy, or is the fuel entering through the nozzles metered enough to prevent such a rich condition and a high HC content in the exhaust? I am just doubting that my poor little single fuel injector would support the kind of flow it takes to feed 200 horsepower, and I am seeking alternate routes to modifying my fuel management system. Since a kit is not available for my engine I would be forced to make my own. If you shoot me down, I will not be too disappointed.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Inactive User

blackcuda....

Nope never heard of that before, and I don't know who Matt is. A lot of our street type kits would work fine with premium gas, so race gas should be just fine!

deadhorse...

Actually, there is a fuel solenoid on the EFI kits. It is still a dry system, since only NOS is injected. It uses two solenoids, one opens when you push the gas pedal to the floor, and the other one opens when you hit the button. When you hit the button, there is a vacuum booster connected to the pressure regulator which will increase fuel pressure to the fuel injectors to increase the fuel to the engine so you keep your air/fuel ratio.

Now, with a 200 hp shot, that same technique probably can't be used. Its not that easy to setup either if you don't know much about NOS systems. I don't see a problem with building your own plate system with fogger nozzles. People do all kinds of things, the only thing to worry about is even distribution.

Actually, if you don't supply enough fuel when you hit the nitrous, and air/fuel rises about 14.7:1 you are running lean and that's when detonation occurs and engine blow up. It wont freak your computer out too much, since it will try to richen it up, but it wont be able to compensate for such a huge nitrous hit.

Your best bet would be to talk to a tech guy, or a shop that puts together custom kits. When you go custom is will cost money, since it need to be tuned right, but that's worth the money since its better to do that then blow up your engine. That why there are so many safety devices going into nitrous kits, like wide open throttle switches, rpm switches and such to make sure it only comes on when you need it and to prevent engine damage.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Inactive User

.509 cam install
Old 01-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Inactive User

OK, could you explain "running the fogger setup under your intake"?? If Im thinking coorectly does that mean that you actually run the lines to the inside of the intake and mount the foggers either at the ends of the runners on either a single/dual plane setup that connects to the heads or on the magnum beer barrel could you install the lines inside the intake at the begging of each runner, or hell, the end whatever... so, on a 8 cyl would you have 16 lines going into the intake, or would you have just 2 and the distribution blocks inside the intake too?? God, does any of what I just said make sense??? In short, could you explain that, please?

What I found was, on the beer barrel there is hardly ANY room to install the foggers on the outside, there is just too much crap in the way, fuel rails, regulators, vacume ports etc.... so running them on the inside would be ideal then. OH, any feelings on thier NOSzle setup, where you install your fuel injector on top of a billet piece that houses the fogger as well?
Old 01-04-2003, 07:05 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ318
OK, could you explain "running the fogger setup under your intake"?? If

What I found was, on the beer barrel there is hardly ANY room to install the foggers on the outside, there is just too much crap in the way, fuel rails, regulators, vacume ports etc.... so running them on the inside would be ideal then. OH, any feelings on thier NOSzle setup, where you install your fuel injector on top of a billet piece that houses the fogger as well?
Roger, thank you for the help. TJ, what GON_RACIN is talking about is plumbing a conventional fogger on the underside of the intake runner. I have heard of low profile intakes such as on Olds intakes being plumbed with such an aparratus actually on the inside of the engine within the lifter valley. Y-blocks and two separate sets of solenoids are used to distribute the spray to the foggers. If you look at the kit closely in the Summit online catalog, you can see the y-blocks.

If you want foggers, you need to ditch the "beer barrel" or whatever they call that 15 inch runner having turd. They are good for low end torque, and they make for very high air velocities, but they will start to seriously choke you down about @ 4500-5000 on an otherwise stock engine. They really will not accept fogger nozzles in any way that I could think of, and your only option with the beer barrel will be a spray-bar style plate. I would go with the M-1 single plenum Magnum intake for use with foggers. They are much less restrictive, and while you will lose low end power, you will most definately make up for it on the upper end. They also have cast-in bosses for fogger nozzles if I am not mistaken. That is, unless you are bent on keeping the beer barrel, you can buy the NOSzle kit for $1200, which I am sure is a fine product--Hot Rod magazine seemed to like the one they tested.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:29 PM

Default Under Manifold Cheater

Here is a link that might help:

Hidden NOS

If I were buying new... I'd see what EB carries.

Later,

Greg
Old 01-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Inactive User

.509 cam install
Old 01-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

GSMOPAR, man, thats exactly what Im looking for... but, refering to that picture of the underside of the manifold (blown up pic of the link you gave me) where would you bring in the lines to supply the distribution block then, especially on a beer barrel??

OH, now that im writing this reply, cant remember who said the M1 was better, I agree, but this is a weekend and long trip driver (also weighs 4350lbs) and more importantly, I have to pass emmsions!!! ARGH!! If they look under the hood that will just stick out too much and they will fail you in MD for that.... they wont mess with minor things like nitrous lines... they are just looking for big obvious things. I dont think that short a runner would do me any good running a mild cam and heads, just not for my setup, I would be doing a lot of stop and go with it too..... need the torque!
Old 01-04-2003, 11:31 PM

1. The M1 is emissions legal.

2. If you're plumbing this into a beer barrell you should be able to drill holes in the back of the intake (you'll see better once it's off) and feed the lines through. I would use a feed through type fitting that you're lines will connect on either side. The only thing this should effect is crank case evac and if sealed properly it shouldn't do anything negative. It sounds like you're juicing a Dakota or Ram. NOS offers specific kits for this application

Chrysler Dry Kits

and because they're "Dry" they'd probably be easier to hide. Also, I've seen a Dak with a Shaker Hood use this system:

Top Shot

Good luck!

Greg