Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-01-2003, 07:10 PM
Inactive User

Gripe Hughes cams

I hear all this talk bout Hughes...so..I go to his site....
The things he has to say is funny...because the entire site tells me nothing...the only thing I got out of it, was he's special because he uses the Chrysler lifter....and his Q&A was a barrage of bashing..and he never says why his cams are better. Not to mention the "Mopar folks are stuck w/ profiles from the Ice Age" comment...LOL (Oh dear..how wrong he is!)
Funny thing, when I go to his guidelines..he says the same things that is accepted common practice for over 30 years LMAO..I guess he aint so high-tech after all.
He repeatedly says " we're the fastest, we're the best"...but he never says why..other than the...again...Chrysler lifter.

Hmmm...I thought the man with all of the following he has would do a better job than name-calling. Irregardless...his cams wouldn't help circle trackers...so I gave up the cam search on Hughes. And, his profiles really don't look half bad, he's on the right track, so I ain't necc. puttin Hughes down, but I can say, his business sense and arrogance overrides alot of any cam sense he may have to offer. If any serious racer looks at that site, and just basically takes him at his word..w/o any other explanations other than "our is the quickest", well then more power to ya.
Most business is by word of mouth, and proven track record....
but I'd just as soon buy a cam that is made from someone who has a ton of professionalism, and seriousness to make me win on Saturday nites on the oval...than to try to slick-talk me into choosing his cams...cause he says so.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:06 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation Hughes cams

I have never used their cams but, the Chrysler lifter is wider. This allows for a faster ramp rate on the lobes. The limiting factor on cam design has been the lifter contact on the lobe being so great that the sharp edge of the lifter cuts into the lobe, causing all kinds of bad things in harmomics and cutting into the lobe and wiping out the cam. A broader lifter allows quicker ramps and therefore more lift with the same duration.
This is most likely a simplistic view but you can get the idea.

Old 01-01-2003, 10:40 PM
Inactive User

I understand where LilredLead is coming from. But very FEW performance comanies out there cater to the Mopar crowd. Most of the parts the bigger names have are largely based on Chevy stuff. Its business, thats where the money is. Hughes seems to be trying to develop a name for themselves. Its about time somebody came out with some new cam grinds. Mopar Performance has been VERY SLOW to respond, and when they do respond, its with product with somewhat questionable quality. They have just come out last year with a couple new cam grinds. Is it enough? Hughes is small but you gotta give them credit for trying. The biggest diss I could give them is that they are WAAAAY too expensive!!! Their engine assemblies have grown over 2000 dollars in price in the last 2-3 years. The cam prices, might be okay IF they included lifters. But if people continue to pay it, they will charge it.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Inactive User

I think "Lil'Red" must have some issues with Hughes that we don't know about. To come on a public message board and slam a company like that with no real expalnation is pretty irresponsible. I have dealt with Hughes, Ray Barton and Mancini's and they have all treated me great. I think it has to do with how you (the customer) treats them. Hughes guarantees that their cams will outperform anyone elses of the same grind or they will buy them back. No one else makes this offer and it was good enough for me. You don't have to buy from them if you don't like them but I for one don't feel we should use this forum to bad mouth a company unless we have personal experiences where they have ripped us off. Thanks for letting me say my peace and have a great 2003!
Old 01-02-2003, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chumley
You don't have to buy from them if you don't like them but I for one don't feel we should use this forum to bad mouth a company unless we have personal experiences where they have ripped us off. Thanks for letting me say my peace and have a great 2003!
Agreed. I will move this out of Performance Talk and into Rumors & Gossip.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Inactive User

Hold on to your horses fellas, I wont slammin his company..or his cams. I said in my previous post, his profiles looked half decent, but..i never saw anythin on his site that even hinted about their performance, or any guarentee.
I have no issues at all with Hughes, I know of folks that run his cams street/strip...but my use of a cam is a whole different ballgame. His website however, is a whole nother story. I did "slam" his style, not necc his cams, even tho I think the fast-ramp thing is way overrated.
I think I did give plenty of explanation...all I did was read his website, everything is there in black and white! Furthermore, I've seen many threads in here badmouthing companies...wether they know any better or not...Irresponsible is a hard word...by "reading in between the lines", shows responsibility on my part...irresponsibility would be to make a half-**** choice on cam, or any other part of your race car. Folks work all year to get their combinations right, hopin to win, they don't make choices just to be a advertiser for their choice of cams...er whatever else for that matter.
As far as his prices, yeah, they are a lil high, but the old sayin "ya get what ya pay for" is usually true. I just prefer to do my homework. I reckon the sayin.."first impressions are everything" dont apply to cams. But, I'd rather make my first impression in 1rst place on the checkered, than to believe a "cause I said so" cam manufacturer. That goes for Hughes, or ANYONE else.

I do agree with Hughes on alot, and have seen alot of what he sees. Mostly, the bad combination problem. I've seen numerous threads on many boards where folks bad-mouth companies and their cams, only to find they had a crappy combination to start with. That's way more irresponsible than what I've said IMHO. Seems like I've stirred up the Hughes followers...but until Hughes can sit down and tell folks why/how his stuff works...I aint' buyin, and most serious racers won't either.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:55 PM

I do agree that for the most part, Hughes has some good stuff and they know what they are doing. The problem is that they do come off a little poor, on the web site. They say that they are better, however they don't explain why.

As far as cams go, I feel that Hughes does make a good cam, however they are second to that of Racer Brown.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:31 AM
Inactive User

Default Since everyone crought it up...

Actually, I agree with Lilredleadfoot. They don't do a great job of explaining.

Actually - the Chrysler lifter deal is kinda old school - (previously pointed out) Racer Brown has been doing it for 30 + years - so I know Hughes wasn't the first and they are not the only. Comp is now doing it - yes they are a Johnny come lately - but atleast they came.

But I do think Cam Motion is the best cams for your mopar - then racer brown and frankly I'd choose a new comp over a Hughes...

Just my opinion...