Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-19-2000, 10:45 PM
Inactive User

Question

HOW CAN I GET THE SAME HP OUT OF MY INTREPID AS THE 300M. THEY HAVE THE SAME ENGINE BUT THE 300M GETS 12 MORE HP. ALSO ANYBODY KNOW OF GOOD SITES OR CATALOGS WITH INTREPID PERFORMANCE AND BODY PARTS.
Old 06-01-2000, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

Simple, Put Premium in it and all the power comes back. I know they say run regular in it but the owners manual does not even refer to the 3.5l. The program in the PCM is exactly the same as the 300M. Excpet for at WOT (wide open throttle) where the 300M uses the knock sensors and the R/T uses a mapped program. The R/T uses the knock sensors in all other conditions. So if you put Premium in it the power comes back.
By the way the R/T is quicker and faster than the 300M due to weight and gearing.

Steve
Old 06-24-2000, 02:57 AM
Intense Blue Member

According to Motor Trend, the 300 weighs 3567# versus 3555# for the R/T - 12# more. Gearing is listed as identical for both, and the 17" tyres have the same rolling radius.

The differences in top speed are most likely due to a more aerodynamic shape for the R/T, as top speed is attained at a rather low rpm in 4th gear ( ca. 4600 rpm ) - the horsepower difference between the two engines at that rpm is not known.

Minor differences in 0-60 times are usually due to different ambient temperatures or traction conditions at the test strips. Driver technique can also have a notable effect on acceleration times. Or, the particular 300M test car might have just been a slow one.
Old 06-26-2000, 02:54 AM
Inactive User

Motor Trend, hmm Well, Car and Driver tested the R/T and it smoked the 300m as well.
Put in the premeium, you will notice a difference. Simple 10:1 compression ratio, what fuel would you put in. It will run fine on regular, as soon as it knocks, the PCM will retard the timing. So run the good stuff.
AS for the weight quotes from MT, I am very skeptical as the 300m has a lot more accessories, thus more weight.
Old 06-26-2000, 04:56 AM
Intense Blue Member

GR8WHT: Don't mean to be argumentative, but the C&D article you mentioned says this: using premium in the R/T will make NO difference in WOT performance or max power. Both the 300 and the R/T PCMs use knock and MAP sensors, this acording to the shop manual for the engines - the PCM tuning is just different on the 300M, as DC apparently believed that middle-class R/T buyers would balk at buying premium fuel. The use of premium will make no difference at all in top speed, as in the open loop mode the PCM reads from pre-programmed software and ignores sensor input. [ While the listed compression ratios are theoretical, they are not a absolute indicator of cylinder pressure, as cam timing can effect this substantially. It is cylinder pressure which determines fuel octane requirements, along with the flame propogataion and quench for the particualr cylinder layout. ]

But you are right, using premium fuel WILL effect part throttle performance, according to C&D. They noted improved "responsiveness and power under all driving conditions short of wide-open throttle". I'd run 90+ octane in the summer myself.

The listed weights can be off depending on the particular year of the car and the accuracy of the DC press releases. Some mags actually weigh the test cars, some quote published stats. Some weights include fluids, some are dry. Some are for the base model, some are loaded. And who knows what the cars actually weighed when they were tested on the track - was the gas tank always full, half empty, or what?
Old 06-26-2000, 01:52 PM
Inactive User

Im cool with that!
Anyway, They are both fun, fast cars! 300M for the lux set and the R/T for the rest of us that can't afford the 300M

The only change I wish DC would make is offer the Infinity II sound system in the R/T!

Drive On!
Old 08-06-2000, 02:13 AM
Inactive User

Hey- I'd love to hear your overall thoughts on the R/T...I checked one out while my Ram was in for service, and it seems to be a sweet ride!!!! Is the autostick as good an idea as it seems to be?