Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-08-2000, 10:36 PM
Inactive User

I know, I'm slow, but I just read in the FWD parts for sale under the rampage post. I'm just curious as to what your using for the conversion for your Rampage. My wife has an 83 and we have a complete 85 Turbo LeBaron. Do you know if this is a good donor car? Will the wiring and electronics work or not? Now her 'Page is a 4 speed with the tranny solidly locked. Had to pull the 1/2 shafts to put the car on the trailer after buying it. The LeBaron is an auto, what is a good tranny. Should I try to get a 5 speed? Thanks if ya can help. My wife keeps bugging me to research doing this swap. Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2000, 01:07 AM

Thumbs up

The motor that I am using is a 2.5 turbo I from a 89 Lebaron. As for the trans, the 2.5 was bolted to a 3-speed auto, but I would like to use a A-555 or A-568 5-speed. I plan to use the engine electronics from the Lebaron for the conversion. All body and interior parts are from an 87 Shelby Charger that has a blown motor. I thought about using the trans from the Charger but figure if I an going to do this I don't want to do it twice. I don't think that the A-525 would hold up to the 2.5's torque considering I am going to intercool it with a conquest intercooler plus other mods to the engine.
As for your 85 Lebaron the motor will drop right in, but the harness from the Lebaron will need to be combined with the one from the Rampage. Not an easy job to do, but with a factory service manual as a referance it can be done. If you need any help let me know.
Old 08-10-2000, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

Thanks, However you wouldn't happen to know off hand what has to be tied together do you? Or is it just the body harness from the Rampage to the computer from the LeBaron. Since the Lebaron has a digital dash that doesn't work. Is there anything else that would interchange from the Lebaron to the 'Page? Such as axle shafts, or any other front end parts? As for the tranny, are you leaving it linkage or converting it to cable shift? If you go manual? I'm just trying to plan this swap out first before I have 2 cars ripped apart in the driveway Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2000, 02:53 AM

Check out this site for a ton of rampage info. http://scampgt.freeyellow.com/index.htm
Also, the only thing that can be used from the front of the Lebaron are the brake system parts(see web page above.) As far as the wiring goes it would be easier to go find a harness from a Omni GLH-T or a Shelby Charger. It will drop in with little or no modification. You could combine the one from the Rampage with the one from the Lebaron and make it work, but the other way is much easier. The only reason I am doing it is to go with the one piece computer.
As far as the shifter, I am going to use the cable shifter out of a Dodge Shadow, the A-555 or A-568 that I intend to use are set up to use cables and won't work with the linkage setup on the L bodies.