Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-05-2003, 05:17 PM

Default 6-Pack or Cowl Hood

I was torn between a 6-pack or Cowl Induction hood for my '69 Charger. Then, I found this car for sale on the Auto Trader web site. If it's one of yours I'd like to tell you "Kick Butt Car man!!!" and Why are you selling it???? I'm going to borrow the fuel tank idea and a lot of your interior mods (gauges). Oh, and my car will have a nice little Cowl hood now too Thanks for the Ideas!!!

'68 Pro Street Charger With Class!!!

Later,

Greg
Old 01-05-2003, 07:08 PM

IMHO a cowl hood is disgusting on a MOPAR. Cowl hoods belong on GM products. I'd go with a 6-pak hood, myself.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Inactive User

The cow induction sure is a good looking piece, at least until you get used to certain vehicles with one. I had the six pack in my Dart, and after grenading my short block I wanted to get a new attitude for the whole car, a more sivilized one perhaps? So I painted the welds black and replaced the 6-pack with a 6" cow induction. The first time in the cabin was a shock! The '66 has a pretty small front glass and the qowl induction blocked the view pretty well. I knew it wouldn't make the annual inspection that way, so I had to chop it a little.I needed the room for the air cleaner, but thought I could chop it at the rear more, so that's what I did. Was semi satisfied with the result, but for some reason the car didin't want to mph too well. I had run 137.5 with the old short block, and now it had a hard time running 130. Some other changes were made too, and I was not sure about the thing affecting the mph. At some point I decided to reinstall the six pack scoop, and at the very nest race I run 138 mph. Later got that into 142.5 with no other changes. So at least in my case it didn't seem to work. And it didn't look that good either.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

that gas tank setup is very cool, I have heard so many guys say they would like to run a cell on the street, but do not want to pop the trunk to fill the tank. 68-70 chargers are probably one of the few vehicles you could do this on.

I agree that hood has no place on that car, not necessarily all mopars, but certianly not a 68 charger. The sixpack hood is much nicer, ever see blade? the car in that movie had a sixpack scoop tacked on- only thing I don't like is having the scoop and still having that ridge running up the middle of the hood and the two simulated scoops that house the turn signal indicators. anyone out there know of anyone making a glass flat hood (no ridge or scoops) for 68-70 chargers? that would look killer with a monster sixpack scoop on there!!!!!

dart is right about not being able to see out of that thing, chargers especially have no height on that windshield, hard enough to see as it is...
Old 01-05-2003, 08:07 PM

I have the links saved at home, but I could only find 1 company that makes a fiberglass 6-pack hood for a '69 charger. The price difference is 2x the cowl and I've herd of problems where the 6-pack hood lifts at high speeds (bows up). If you guys have any links, numbers, or company names that have a glass 6-pack hood I would appreciate it!

I'm at work now, but off the top of my head I think these were the prices:

Cowl Hood $250ish
6-Pack $550ish

I think it looks pretty sweet! I'm running a M1 with a 4500 holley and should be able to get away with a 2 or 3 inch cowl so visibility shouldn't be an issue... unless I flop back to the 6-pack idea...

Later,

Greg
Old 01-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Inactive User

So just how fast do you have to go to make the 6-pak scoop bow up? Mine never has, and I'm sure it wasn't a problem with any of the factory cars. I've seen 130 mph cars with this scoop and no problems at all. If you don't like the 6-pak scoop, consider the "hemi" style scoop like Dick Landy used to run on his Super stock Chargers. Looked great, ran great!..................djs
Old 01-05-2003, 11:49 PM

If you run the hood pins in the front, that hood will not bow up. I ran a '70 Challenger with the R/T (dual snorkle) hood, without the inserts and without hood pins. The hood started flapping at about 120. It warped the hood. I was lucky in the fact that it was flat black and summer time in Sacramento. It took one day in the sun, for the hood to flatten out.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:17 AM

Anyone have the info for the company that makes the Glass 6-Pack hood for my car? I've got the money set aside and would like to order this week if possible. I'm flopping between the 2 hoods. That cowl looks like it retains the charger indentations too . At the PSCA race last year I got hooked on the 6-pack hood (Green '69 pro street RR had one that looked sweet!).

Thanks,

Greg
Old 01-06-2003, 04:41 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by ehostler
IMHO a cowl hood is disgusting on a MOPAR. Cowl hoods belong on GM products. I'd go with a 6-pak hood, myself.
I would have to agree with your humble opinion, Ed. A cowl hood on a Chrysler product is SACRILEGIOUS, and the man that owns that black Charger should be stoned in the town square for putting that idea in GS's head.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:28 AM
Inactive User

I had the six pack hood attached with 8 dzusses and three pins. Lost it three times at different speeds before finally taking care that it stays on adding dzusses and reinforcing some points. In my case the main point is that the cowl induction was not as effective as thew six pack scoop. I have guessed that maybe there was some areodynamic mailfunction in my car to cause this. When raining, the drops flew out of the scoop instead of going in I think everyone put the style of scoop they like, I'll have a cowl induction style hood in my new project, but it sure isn't GM cowl induction style! Although the one in my Dart wasn't that much higher than the six pack scoop, it's the length and width that effectively blocks the visibility way better than the six pack scoop You can check the looks with both scoops at http://www.moparts.com/moparts/carsh...er2/jyrki.html
Old 01-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Banned

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Are you really serious GS?. Just kidding arent you? Maybe thats a 454 with hemi valve covers. How about a cameo spoiler on the trunck lid? White faced gauges are for hondas and mopeds. Happy New Year!
Old 01-06-2003, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

I bought one from U.S. BODY SOURCE which is located in Florida.Don't remember more about it at this time.Check on some more info. later.I have one ther's on my 69 PLY Sport Satellite held on by 4 hood pins past 3-years and drove on turnpike dozens of times no problem.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:44 PM

Man am I catching some crap I don't want the ricer white face gauges, but I like the look of aftermarket gauges in the stock dash with a little shift light on the console (looks clean). I like the 6-pack hood look, but have yet to find a company that makes it??? help please! The only personal experience I have with fiberglass 6-pack hoods was on a '68 RR which blew off at 90mph on the freeway. If I can find a Glass 6-pack hood that you guys recommend and that doesn't cost a small fortune I'll get it. As it stands now I can finish the front disc conversion and do a cowl hood for the price of just the 6-pack hood (which I can't seem to find the link to the company anyway). The info from the Dart is very convincing. 7mph is hard to deny from just a hood swap. Like I said... Hook me up with a company name please!

Thanks,

Greg
Old 01-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Inactive User

rolleyes Cowl vs. 6-pack . . .

I would have to go with the 6-pack scoop if the car was mine, I like a lot of others, think cowls are for GM's.

No offense . . . nice car though !
Old 01-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Violent J

6 pak type hoods just dont work on fast cars( slow ones dont work either cause the car is slow)...On any real car running over 140, the hood will rip off...Mine was self destructing at 135...a few more runs and it would have been history...

I like the Cowl hood, I think it works better than front facing scoops and is more aero to boot(not that that matters on box like cars)...

look at my website to see what they look like...
Old 01-09-2003, 08:52 AM
Inactive User

I had the hood rip off symptom too (three times), but after a change over and feeling the cowl induction scoop in my case slowed me down, I attached the six pack hood better! A couple of more dzusses and the problem ended. In my car the cowl induction just did not work, instead of helping the air go to the carb it seemed to limit it. I think that the effectiveness of the scoop on nitrous assisted cars is not as important as in a naturally aspirated. Anyway, the fact in my case was that the cowl induction scoop hurted the performance. They should work better than it did in my case, don't know why that happened.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Inactive User

Default six pack hoods

GSmopar,
Try unlimited, they probably have what you want

http://www.up22.com/
FrankR.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Inactive User

I have to disagree with the majority here...
Not that I particularly like cowl hoods, but notice almost everyone is saying get a 6pack hood blah-blah-blah...I have thought about a cowl for the cuda myself...still weighing the options between a cowl and a HEMI-hood.
isnt this one of the main arguments against moostangs and slomaros-Theres one everywhere....
Be different (at least a little)
Old 01-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Absolutely

I like the cowl hood and I believe it looks excellent on the charger
Old 01-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Inactive User

I also like the cowl hood, think it makes the car look sinister. As far as the sixpack hoods blowing off, you can't put enough fasteners to keep it on the car when the MPH goes up. My GTX had the HEMI scoop with 14 dzus fasteners holding the hood down. It bent the brackets every pass, kept the hood cracked up and looked like the scoop was about to rip off every pass. By the way, Harwood now offers a cowl scoop without the center ridge, makes the scoop look more universal.

If it is a sin to put a cowl on a mopar, I guess I am in deep sh*^. I have a cowl hood, a 9" ford rear and a powerglide tranny. Guess I'm going straight to hell

Monte Smith
Old 01-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Inactive User

Monte Smith, like as in bright yellow GTX ass kickin drag car Monte Smith? Cool to have you aboard man! I would hazard a guess that powerslide has not one GM component in it, same with the ferd rear but hey man, when your car is that fast, run whatever dern hood tickles your fancy! I personally don't like the cowl hood, too many red with black stripes Shovelle SS flashbacks (just how many of those frickin things did chev make anyway?) but if the hemi scoop won't stay on, I guess it's better than one of those ugaly pro stock scoops. I prefer sleepers with no scoops at all actually, but that wasn't the question right?
Old 01-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Inactive User

Cowl hoods look bad on a mopar!!!!! you guys must think my 70 roadrunner looks like crap then!! Just look at any 70 RR they all have a cowl style hood......I tried a super stock hood on my 63, it looked cool till you it 130 mph and talk about messing up air flow.. ss/aa racers have lowered the super stock scoop by just an inch and picked up 5 mph.... Oh yes one last thing , try driving in the rain with a six pac or super stock hood it's way to funny....Lee..
Old 01-09-2003, 04:26 PM

Default Other Thread

I started a pole with pictures of each style of scoop offered for my car.

6-pack, Cowl, or Hemi

Thanks everyone for your input and links. I like the cowl in the picture. Body lines are kept and it's not too big. I'll do some calling next week and see what I can find!

Later,

Greg
Old 01-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Inactive User

the cowl hood on that black charger is way way too high, needs to be cut down by a bunch and have that ridge taken off it- then I could almost live with it. Let's face it, though, that car is so cool it doesn't need any type of non-stock hood.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:09 PM
Inactive User

I have been a member here for some time, just do not post much.

The new cowl hood for the GTX is a 6" model. Follow the link in my sig for some pics.

Monte Smith
Old 01-10-2003, 02:40 AM
Inactive User

I agree with the looks of the CI, it does look civilized in most cases. I just wonder what the problem might be in the rain with the six pack scoop? I have run it for many years now, and I have yet to find that out. And I would also like to know why the same thing isn't a problem with a cowl induction scoop? I think that in my case I know the answer, some may think that the moisture will hurt the engine somehow, or is it because it hurts the filter? The water supposedly gets there beacuse the scoop works and it forces the air & moisture in to the filter & carb. Shouldn't it do the same with the cowl induction? I know my didn't, maybe they have somekind of a water separator built in that design by genious GM engineers, but the water escaped from the scoop opening, and according to the drag strip results so did the air too. Don't get this wrong, I like the cowl induction scoops style in theory, and they must work because so many people use them. In my car it did not look good (neither did the six pack) and it did not work good. Obviously I had something wrong there, maybe too long upper lip?
Old 01-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Inactive User

The biggest problem with the cowl induction scoop is not that it looks bad, but that it looks completely Chevy. Just imagine what a 6-pak scoop would look like on a Chevelle or even a Mustang,-now you get it!.......djs
Old 01-10-2003, 02:34 PM

Dart,

If not working good is running 9's... Then I hope mine works like crap!

The link poster earlier only has cowl hoods. I have yet to find a place that makes the 6-pack hood. Therefore, I may not have a decision to make. I agree with the earlier post that the stock flat hood looks best on the charger. If anyone wants to trade a brand new M1 with a 1150 Dominator for a 6-pack set up (which will fit under a flat hood!) speek now before I buy a hood please! If not, then it looks like I'll be going with the cowl (which I think looks pretty bad ass anyway!). Thanks for the input guys!

The paint on my car is 10 years old now and could use a freshening up. I'm pretty excited to get the car back on the road so I'm going to squirt the hood... hopefully it won't be too mismatch. Maybe redo the entire car next winter??? Pics to follow soon...

Later,

Greg
Old 01-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Inactive User

I don't remeber the ET's with that scoop, but the mph was about 7 down, and that is quite a lot.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:55 PM
Inactive User