Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:42 AM
Inactive User

Question Engine Cooling

Ok, I was looking real hard earlyer at my Dakota, and I've pretty much came to the conclusion that there's no way I'm gonna be able to fit a big radiator in there with the engine. I'm gonna be running a 451 with aluminum heads so I defiantly don't want a melt down. The thing won't be on the street, not much anyway. Definatly nothing over 10 miles (I live in the country, so there is no stop and go driving) with out a break. I'm just wondering, the radiator in there now is brand new, and it is also larger than most radiators I've seen on rails and altereds at the track. With a shroud and really good electric fan will it be enough to cool a big block? Any other suggestions are very welcome, but with the limited room, this looks like the best option. I'm just wondering if it will work! Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 01-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Inactive User

I use this product without any problems. Read all that is stated and you will understand te advantagesit has over glycol.
Hope this helps.

http://www.evanscooling.com/
Old 01-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Inactive User

"The use of NPG Coolant and Evans Cooling Systems components in Street Rods, Muscle Cars, and Hi-Performance Street Machines has many benefits. First and foremost is NPG's ability to control engine generated heat and never boil over or fail. By their very nature, Hi-Performance, street driven vehicles have engines which produce high levels of heat, and then have to pass that heat into the air through radiators which in many cases are too small to accomplish the job. The use of NPG Coolant helps to correct this imbalance. The addition of an Evans coolant pump and/or the use of an aluminum high flow radiator will greatly assist in the balancing of the cooling system components to the heat generated."

I like the part about correcting the use of a small radiator, but the part about adding one of their pumps and radiators has me wondering.. Do you use a stock radiator and pump or have you upgraded them as well? I'm not too worried about upgrading a pump, but the radiator is pretty much about maxed. Anything bigger and I'm gonna have to do some MAJOR mods to get it in there. The stuff sounds like a great product, and definatly the answer to my problem, I just hope after buying it I wouldn't still have to change the rest of my cooling system. I guess either way will still be cheaper and less of a head ache then replaceing warped heads. I was just wondering if you use anything besides the coolant, and how much of a difference you could tell?

Thanks alot for the info! Defiantly something I'd be interested in!
Old 01-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Inactive User

The best thing to do is call & go over what you have & how the vehicle is to be driven. They can tell you what can be used that you have & changes needed.
Its like any good product - initial cost may be a little high, but long term is very cost effective.
Good luck.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Read : Untouchable

Default well

guy i work with has a mazda miata with a ken belle supercharged 347 stroker, 12 psi.
5 speed, he drives it all the time, rain or whatever.
last year it was running 210-230 all the time, towards the end of the year he changed to evans cooling and he said it works awesome. dropped temperatures to below 200 in almost the hottest of days, and also picked up 5 rwhp just because of the lower operating temperatures.
only problem he had was evans requires the removal of ALL H20 from the entire system, heater core, rad, engine, you name it.