Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-08-2003, 08:31 AM
Inactive User

Default carter T/Q carb. problem

I put this up in the Vintage Mopar Chat and one of the guys said to put it here. I have a 1981 Cordoba 4bbl t/q which has never been touched since new [I've had the car since new] and the car is driven year round and has 180000kms. It starts great, but now will run for maybe 5 mins. and then surges and stalls out. When I operate the linkage by hand I don't see any gas squirting out. I can pour a little down the front barrels and she will start and act up again in a few minutes. It will also stall out at idle in park and again I put gas in the carb. to get it going again. I replaced the fuel filter yesterday, had a new fuel pump about 9 months ago, fuel lines and tank were replaced a few years ago. The only number on the carb I can see is at the top where it says Carter is 41 and then below it is 2652. Since I know the gas is getting to the carb and it runs after a put a very small amount in the front bbls. I'm sure its internal to the carb. I was thinking of maybe a rebuilt carb because this is 22 years old and I will have to get it done at a garage because I've no place to work on it and I've never done a carb. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Inactive User

180000 miles and never touched? I'd start with a rebuild of the carb and go from there.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Here is a fellow that knows T-Q's better than you know your car. (I don't care if you purchased it new ethier.)
Tell'em your woes and ship off the carb to him. He'll set you up well.
http://www.geocities.com/thermoquads/
Old 01-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Inactive User

Default whoa!

Don't jump off that bridge just yet. How go you know the gas is getting to the carb? Have you held the choke plate open, and looked down into the primaries and worked the accel linkage? You should get an immediate and strong shot of fuel. If it is hesitant and/or weak, disconnect the fuel line at the carb, and crank the engine over. You should get a forceful stream of gas immediately. If it is delayed and/or anemic, you've got fuel delivery problems, and has nothing to do with the carb. Don't mess with something what ain't broken. Work your way backwards toward the tank, checking every connection, in order.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's the rubber fuel hoses at each end of the hard lines. All it takes is a little crack, and you have insufficient vacuum to pull the gas from the tank.