Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Rear Deal?

I called the yard I bought my 360 off of to check and see if they still have the car it came out of (72 sport fury) and of course it had been sent to the crusher not but weeks ago, taking its rearend with it. However, the guy has an 8 3/4 diff out of a 75ish Cordoba. Any idea what gears this would have and is a hub to hub assembly worth $100 bucks? This guy has never done me wrong yet, so my assumption is this is a good deal, but I don't know.

Also, I can have the machine shop shorten the rear and I can pick up new axles, but is there any way I can adapt this to my '81 LeBaron in place of the 7 1/4? If it's too wide all is good and it can be shortened, right? But is it too short or anything I should be aware of?
I know the driveshaft is going to have to be modified anyway as the 904 is coming out and a 727 going in. I just thought a $100 8 3/4 sounded like a pretty good deal... is it? do ya think I should go for it? I've got the money, I'll just have to hide it so my mom doesn't kill me! :-D

Edit-
Gonna kill another bird with the same stone. About what are '68 4 door coronets going for nowadays? I've had my eye on one for 2 years now, always in the same place, never moved, always for sale. I almost don't want to ask because I'm pretty sure it's a wife wants it gone deal because the guy always has his truck parked in front of it, but I love big cars and this is a good lookin vehicle. I've heard from a few people he wants in the $3 grand range, but I think it is sans drivetrain. No obvious rust that I can see, nor dings... looks pretty straight with a new light blue painjob. I may go look at it tomorrow if the average for one of these isn't too outrageous. Dad told me he'd loan me some money for it if the price is right...

Thanks y'all!
Old 01-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Inactive User

Unless someone swapped it in there, that ain't an 8 3/4" rear. They stopped putting them in cars around '72. No way to know which one they put in there, so I would measure yours backing plate to backing plate and do the same to the one you are interested in. If it's off a little bit, not big deal. You need to measure the spring perches as well, and you may have to move those as well.

If the coronet is good shape, get it man, great transportation, very reliable, very cool.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Inactive User

Do ya think it may be an 8 1/4?

EDIT-

Okay, yeah ur right. The Cordoba appeared in '75 and the 8 3/4" was gone in '74, so that means no 8 3/4 for that cordoba unless it was swapped. I may have misheard him or something... still... 8 1/4" worth 100 bucks? What ratio's/gear sets did these come with... I'd like some 3.23s or 3.5x's. aw heck, as long as their @ least 3.23s I'll take what I can get!
Old 01-09-2003, 04:01 PM
Inactive User

I would think it is either an 8 1/4" or a 9 1/4". Neither of these are a pot type axle, so you will know right off. The 8 1/4 has a slightly oval shaped cover with if I remember correctly, 10 bolts. The 9 1/4" looks kinda like a dana but has a stop sign shaped (octagon) cover. I can't remember how many bolts. The 9 1/4 is a good rear, but the 8 3/4" is easier to work on and there are more parts around for them. The 9 1/4"s usually came in big block cordobas, chargers and magnums, as well as d-150 trucks and 4x4 trucks.