Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-09-2003, 08:52 PM
Inactive User

Smile new diesel owner-????

just bought a 99 3500 2wd auto--is my first diesel and wanted info on performance upgrades??
Old 01-10-2003, 08:26 AM
Inactive User

Go to //dodgeram.org The info you want is findable there!!!
You will find respect for that motor soon! Also Be carefull, the BOMB bug will infect you and then you will stop eating so you can buy perf parts!!!
Too much added power will quickly eat a clutch or auto trans. Up grades are available for them also.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Also try www.turbodieselregister.com and subscribe to their quarterly magazine. Loads of info available for you !
Greg
Old 01-21-2003, 05:14 PM

Thumbs up Congratulations!!!

Congratulations on your new purchase. You will soon realize just what a great truck and engine you have there.

Another site to visit is

www.dieselram.com

It doesn't cost anything to post questions on that site, and many of the same people that go to the turbo diesel register site also visit this one, as well as the dodgeram.org site. One thing that will be a huge benefit is to go to these sites and do a search on two items, the fuel pump and the transmission. You'll see what sort of things can happen to these two parts and what you'll need to do to overcome them. Also, check out the links at those sites to look at some of the products available for your truck and the prices, then you'll get an idea of what you can afford to do.

I have a 12-valve truck, so I can't say for sure, but I think one of the drawbacks to your 24-valve engine is the VP-44 fuel pump. Again, I don't know if it was only certain years that this pump had problems or not, but if you post the question on the dieselram.com site, I'm sure someone can tell you. I think that as long as the engine remains stock or near stock, the pump can keep up, but when people start adding boxes to increase the power, the pump has a hard time keeping up and that's when the problems start.

Also, almost the first thing that you'll want to do is get at least a pyrometer, preferably pyrometer and boost, along with a temperature gauge for the auto trans fluid. Again, before you turn up the power too much on the engine, you want to get some work done to the transmission to handle the extra torque, or you'll just trash it completely, and that gets pricey. But back to the gauges, those will let you keep track of what's going on under the hood. The pyrometer is to monitor the exhaust temperature at the turbo, so that you don't get the temperature too high and burn up the turbo, or to let it cool down sufficiently before shutting the engine off.

However, aside from these two shortcomings, there is a LOT of potential power just waiting to be turned loose.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:26 PM
Inactive User

400Magnum can you help me out with a pyrometer question?
How high can my friend push the exhaust temp?
All he told me so far is its a Cummins in a motorhome.
He is thinking about increasing boost also..
Thanks Tom
Old 01-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Inactive User

You should not let the exhaust temp go over 1250 pre-turbo and if it is read post-turbo keep it under 1000.
More boost will lower the temp. It it has a stock turbo limit the boost to 35 lbs. Some guys run more but the turbo is out of its performance map above those numbers.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:09 AM

Default Sounds about right...

fox is right about the temps that he called out if everything is stock, which it probably is in a motorhome. Motorhomes are typically not hot-rodded, even though they are the ones that most likely could really use the extra power.

Depending on what Cummins engine your friend has in his motorhome, increasing the power output can be done in one of two ways. If it's the 12-valve engine, then it's a matter of installing a fuel plate and maybe a set of injectors, opening up the exhaust to let the engine breathe easier. A 24-valve engine will need to have some sort of electronic box installed that will control the engines fuel curve, and again maybe install a set of injectors and open up the exhaust. Getting a low restriction air filter can make a difference too. Now depending how much of a power increase is created, your friend may have to have his transmission rebuilt to handle the extra torque, but he will absolutely need to have pyrometer installed to keep an eye on those exhaust temps. Frying a turbo is no way to have fun in a motorhome.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks much, I'll talk to Dennis when he gets back from the V-twin show in Cincinatti. It is a 12 valve, and he is using a different fuel plate. Hopefully he will have time to log on here. Got any Questions on how to build a 160 cubic inch V-twin?
Thanks again
Tom
Old 02-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

How many pounds of boost would a Stock turbo on a 99 ram 24 valve diesel have?
Old 02-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

I just bought a 2001 3500 diesel. I assume it's completely stock. It has 115K mi. on it from Texas. I am going to be towing a 24' enclosed race car trailer with it. The total weight of the trailer will be about 7500 lbs. I live on Long Island and will be towing in the north east without too many big hills. My question is, will this truck be up to the task? I had a '93 Ford F-350 7.3L with a Banks turbo before this truck. Last summer I was towing up a long grade in Pa. and I think I broke a piston skirt. I have to tow up the same hill this year and I was concerned that I might hurt this thing too. Now, I know I'm on a Mopar chat line here, but I don't want to hear B.S. about how great this truck is compared to a Ford. I've been racing Chryslers for 35 years so I don't need a Mopar pep talk - just the facts. I'm not interested in going over 65 mph or hot rodding the thing, I just want it to do it's job and not break.
Thanks for any help or tips that anybody out there might have.
Ken B.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:58 PM

Walter,

I think a stock 99 24-valve will make about 20 psi boost max.

B-1Ken,

I used to have pictures comparing some of the internal parts of the Cummins and the Powerstroke, but I can't find them now. Basically, the Cummins parts are built way stronger than the Powerstroke. The comparison of the connecting rods was the shocker. The rods out of the Powerstroke look very similar to a normal V-8 gas engine, the ones out of the Cummins looked like something off of a steam locomotive! The connecting rod has the cap at almost a vertical angle, so that the power and stress developed in combustion is transferred to the crank by the strength of the rod, not by the rod bolts. The Cummins is officially rated as a medium heavy duty engine, whereas the Powerstroke is rated as a light heavy duty engine. Also, Ford uses this engine in their heavier trucks like the 600-700 series, but they were not allowed to use them in the pickups due to contracts signed between Chrysler and Cummins. In short, I don't think you have to worry about breaking the Cummins doing the same things with it that you were doing with your Powerstroke.

Good Luck, hope you like your truck.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:07 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply. I would have written sooner, but my computer won't let me post any replys. I think the firewall is blocking any "cookies".
The engine in my Ford F-350 is not a Powerstoke. It's a 7.3 Navistar. This engine is similar to a Powerstroke, but uses a mechanical fuel injection system and originally it did not come with a turbocharger. This one has a Banks turbo add-on which definitely allows it to have more power, but I think that's what caused it's downfall. I believe the pistons in the powerstroke are stronger (they all have turbo's). I'm glad to hear that the Cummins engine is "beefier". Of course, if you were to go to the fordtrucks.com web site, you wouldn't get much agreement with that point of view. (It's the same everywhere - Chevy, Ford, Mopar ....). I've heard nothing but good things about the Cummins engine. I just hope they're true. My only other concern was the transmission. My F-350 uses a E-4OD. Everybody told me that THAT transmission had problems. I hope the trans in the Dodge is as reliable as the engine is supposed to be.
Again, thanks for the reply - Ken B.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Inactive User

Wow! I'll have to eat my words. After I posted the last reply, I got on ford-trucks.com and went to a Ford vs. Dodge thread. To my surprise, the majority of the respondants liked the Cummins engine better than the Powerstroke. If this opinion was expressed on a Ford chat line, that Cummins must REALLY be good! The one knock that they did have (they had to say SOMETHING negative) was that it wouldn't pass future emission standards because of it's antiquated mechanical fuel injection system. Someone replied that Cummins will be coming out with a up to date fuel system that will alleviate the problem. Do you know anything about that? Of course, in spite of what they thought of the Cummins engine, they all felt that the truck itself (especially the transmission) was a piece of shit.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:51 AM

b-1 ken,
I have a 99 3500 and we we to Alaska last year. My truck is bone stock. We left with 73000 miles and pulled a 32 ft, 5 wheel that weights 13500 lbs. I'm 58 and still Drag Race so I don't take is easy on any thing. Got home with 92000 miles and no trouble.
The only problem I had was forgetting the trailer was back there,
I mean when your passing someone and weight 20300 lbs at 75 mph, in overdrive, you dont think about being 50 ft long. Good luck with your new truck. Keep the oil changed and use good oil.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:56 PM
Inactive User

Wheels2: Damn! your ass must be sore! 19,000 miles? I bitch when I have to drive to Engishtown which is a 2 hr. trip for me (I live on Long Island). My trailer is WAY smaller than yours. If this truck is as good as you guys say, I'll be in heaven (that is if my wife would stop bitch'n about me owning three race cars and two duallies - maybe she has a point). Err.. I forgot the '37 Ford... and the '84 Dodge van.
Ken B.
By the way, what oil would you recommend?
Old 02-21-2003, 07:43 PM

Default I'll probably be shot for saying this, but...

the Cummins is not perfect either. They also have their problem areas. But typically from what I've heard and read, they don't become a problem until the engine's power levels are increased dramatically, unlike the Powerstroke, which leaves the factory with problems. The automatic transmission falls into that category. The Ford guys are probably thinking that the heavier duty trucks use the same automatic as the half ton, and it IS a piece of junk, but the one used behind the diesel is a pretty good unit. However, that's not to say that it can't stand to be improved upon.

Yes, the soon to be released (if it hasn't been released already) next generation Cummins will have all the latest techno goodies to meet emissions, including the common rail fuel injection. Aside from decreased emissions, the new engine claims imcreased power, less noise, and improved fuel economy. As for myself, I like my 12 valve, but even it has some concerns, like the front cover dowel pin that may work it's way loose, drop into the gears, and has the potential to literally destroy the engine. But, all in all, I'll take the Cummins over anything else out there.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply. Does the 24 valve engine have the same dowel pin? Is there anything that can done to prevent that from happening without tearing the front of the engine apart?
Ken B.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:42 PM

Default Don't worry, be happy...

the 24 valve engines don't have this problem. Only a few model years of the 12 valve engines have to worry about this. This dowel pin is typically referred to as the Killer Dowel Pin, or KDP for short. You can go to some of the sites mentioned above and do a search on "KDP" to see what has happened to some fellow Cummins owners. There are even some relatively cheap fixes that can be performed by the owners themselves if they're mechanically inclined. But, you're safe from that worry.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

Thanks again, Ken B.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Inactive User

Default seat covers

Need to no if any one sells seat covers for a dodge dually quad cab 2001 thank you
Old 02-24-2003, 12:45 PM

B-1 ken
sorry to take so long out of town. The trip was 3 months and truck rides very good. I use Delno 400 and change air, fuel and oil filters all at the same time, 3000 empty and 5000 loaded.

I've not tried but talked to Dodge people who agree with 400magnum about the transmissions if you hop it up to much. I race with a friend that has a 3500/12 (valve service) truck and with Banks kit and other stuff. He has tried several clutches and still spins the clutch in 5th gear at full throttle. The truck(9000lbs)
with trailer and Dart on it ran 11.32 in 1/8 to quiet down the Ford people.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Inactive User

Wheels2: You actually ran that rig at the track, just like the TV commercial? That's hilarious.
Ken B.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:30 AM

Default I stand corrected...

b-1ken,

I want to say that apparently a few of the very first 24-valve engines did have this potential dowel pin problem, but since your truck is a 99 model, you should be safe.

If you want to see a big Dodge running down the track, follow this link and then pick the video of the shop foreman, Frank and his 3500.
http://www.jannettyracing.com/movie_sound.htm

sidlmopar,
Try contacting Geno's Garage, they carry lots of stuff for our trucks, including many types of seat covers.
http://www.genosgarage.com/

I also noticed that Cabela's has some decent seat covers too, depending on how much money you want to spend.
http://www.cabelas.com/

Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

This doesn't have anything to do with anything,but; My dad mhas made that trip to alaska 3 times in a 1970 Dodge 3/4, talk about comfort. He bought the truck new with a 383 and has had a 440 in it for about 14 years now. I just bought a '99 3500 to replace my '91 ford. Looking forward to pulling Fancy Gap at the end of this month for a comparison. I've got a 8 1/2 foot Lance camper and a open trailer, don,t know how much it wieghs, the ford pulledit at 45 mph. Let's see what the DODGE will do.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:26 PM

b-1 Ken
Yes it was one of those days the ford boy would not be quiet. My friend has a 70 Dart with a 360, and a boy with a Mustang tried twice to beat him and lost. So it was end of the day we were loaded on the trailer and the ford comes and says we beat him because he forgot to turn his bottle on. Well this is out in the woods outlaw track so Bernie said if that ford is so bad lets go, the track said ok. They staged up 3500 Dodge and 3500 Ford with trailer in tow with car on them. Bernie just out ran the ford.
I just took my old 3500 with the 74 Duster(383) and went home with a good laugh.

Fastburn,
Your new truck will suprise you. With the price of fuel you should be happy. I pulled 3 passes at 8000/9000 ft with good roads and olny 1 was steep enought to kick me out of over drive, if you keep it above 60mph. Be careful in the Yokcon, that was 350 miles of rock, gravel, repairs and construction avg speed for 350 miles was just under 35 mph. If you dont have one get a Milepost book, they give alot of info, and are very accurate.

Jim
Old 03-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Inactive User

seat covers

I. have a set of custom made seat covers from Genos and I love them. If you can spend the money buy the whole set Front and back. Gravey to install but well worth it much cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Later Jason