Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-08-2000, 05:17 PM
Inactive User

Question

What colors were they? I found a car thats supposed to be one, but its a white hardtop 5 spd turbo. How would I be able to tell if its real? Any guess how many of these were built or what a low miles one would be worth in good shape?

Thanks,

BobC
Old 09-10-2000, 04:39 PM

I think that they were only one color silver or gold. But I'm not positive on that
Old 09-11-2000, 04:01 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Well, I'm pretty sure you are at least partially right. I saw a 87 Indy Pace Car Brochure front cover pic and the car on the cover is a Silver Convt. From What I heard on another site, they were Red Convt's. I guess the real problem is that the guy wants a lot more than Blue Book Retail for the car. I also really wouldn't expect it to appreciate like an old Vette or Superbird., but I'd hate to get ripped off.

I drive my 88 Flash Red 2.5L 5 spd Convt (no AC, no Pwr Seat, no Tilt wheel, no Cruise) most of the time. I like the car a lot. Its been real good, but it would be nice if it were quicker, more of a winter car and had a few more creature comforts. The 87 Pace Car would be an extra 48 hp and has most of the things I wish mine had.

I dunno, maybe I should just keep mine and just live with its lackings. There's never anything wrong with it, and that's something special, I've learned...

BobC
Old 09-17-2000, 02:22 AM
Inactive User

There were 3 actual pace cars made fo the race. The others where decals to celebrate the race. These cars were converted to Turbo II and had other modifications, one of which was the "Indy" intercooler, hense the name. One of the cars is in the Walter Chrysler Mueseum in Auburn Hills, MI, next to the Chrysler Tech Center. I have a couple of pics of the car if you are interested. And for the record, the one in the Mueseum was red with grey leather interior.

------------------
John M. Fleck
DaimlerChrysler Engineer
Kokomo, IN
Old 09-17-2000, 04:03 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Thanks very much. It sounds as though you are very familiar with them.

So correct me if I misunderstood, then...

If the car I'm talking about is a "pace car" edition, its basically a decalled normal car, which don't get me wrong, isn't bad, but not worth $1200 over blue book retail because of it, and its likely a Turbo I car with 148 hp.

The good news in all of that is that I wouldn't have to feel bad for driving it all the time if I get it.

Thanks again for the info,

BobC