Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Inactive User

Help please help!

I've got a 1971 Dart Swinger with a 225 /6. When I got the car it ran but had a cracked exhaust manifold. I replaced the manifold and it wouldn't start. So, I replaced the plugs, wire, coil, and cap and rotor. Now it fires when i put a little gas in the carb, but will not stay running. This is really starting to annoy me so please someone help me.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:12 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

If you prime the carb and it trys to run, you have a fuel delivery problem. Pull the line at the carb, put a can under the line and crank the engine. If fuel comes out, the problem is probably in the carb.

Other things to check for: good fuel, dirty filter, vacuum leak

FWIW, was your model year a mis-type? The last year for the Dart was 1976.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

I checked that and I tried it by disconnecting the filter right next to the carb, no fuel.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:31 PM
Inactive User

So somehow it's not getting fuel

Possibilities:
Bad fuel pump
Rotted or kinked or plugged fuel line (rubber and steel)
The sock on the tank pickup is plugged (toss it)
Plugged filter (take it off and crank it again)
Bad Kharma (realign your chokra) just kidding.

I would try replacing the filter first, then I would run a length of fuel line hose (5/16" in your case) from the inlet side of the fuel pump right into a can of gas. If after you crank it for a while you get gas to the carb, your pump works, but may be weak. This would mean that somewhere betweent the pump and tank, you have a problem. If still no gas, pump is FUBAR. If it were mine, I would bend up a new fuel line (go get a roll of 5/16 steel line, some hose and some clamps). I would also pull the sender out of the tank and take the stupid sock off of it and make sure the pickup tube is alright. It might be time to take the tank out and have it steamed to get any crud out of the bottom. You may not need all of this, but it is peace of mind.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Inactive User

I unhooked the line from the tank to the pump and there was no fuel in it, so I'm going to try a new pump, cause i don't want to mess with the tank if I don't have to. Oh yeah, the car has been sitting for about 6 months with an empty tank, what problems could that cause.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Inactive User

With no fuel in the tank, condensation has a chance to form on all inner surfaces of the tank, and therefore, rust. Also, crud in the bottom has a chance to dry out and form bigger chunks of crud, and that is probably what is blocking you fuel line somewhere. Try the pump, but do not take the filter out unless you want to rebuild the carb too. Good luck man.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:05 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Try blowing back through the fuel line to temporarily clear any blockage. No matter how dirty it is, you will probably get enough fuel to fill the carb so it will run for awhile, but I agree with ajmopar, you need to clean the tank and lines.