Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

Default Mancini Adjustable Throttle Bracket

I just bought the Mancini Racing adjustable throttle bracket for my 383 with M1 intake.

Has anyone else used one of these? It doesn't have the stock type kickdown linkage pivot on it for automatic transmission.

Why is it recommened that one uses a cable style and not the stock kickdown setup? How do I go about installing the cable style anyhow?

I was going to weld the A/T kickdown from my stock bracket onto the Mancini unit, but I'll go with the cable setup if someone can confirm that it's better than stock. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Inactive User

I know a little bit about that adjustable throttle bracket. It isn't designed to work with a stock kickdown since that would have been an impossible design task. The stock kickdown linkages mount in different locations which would have made creating a universal bracket really difficult.

Not to mention, this adjustable kit is sold to people who have added a taller manifold and maybe a carb spacer. The addition of those items really messes up the stock kickdown.

A cable kickdown is the only way to really solve the problem in an universal fashion. If you have the ability to weld and fabricate then you can probably build your own kickdown linkage but most people do not have that ability.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:16 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply Andy. The way I see it is like this. The back half of the throttle bracket doens't change. It's bolted to the intake, so if they had made it with a kickdown pivot, it could easily be put in the stock location. None of that changes. What changes is the angle of the throttle cable.

I see your point though. I gues if people are modifying things, then Mancini, or Lokar assume they will be modifying kickdown linkage as well.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Inactive User

The stock kickdown linkage needs to be modified to work with the M1 intake since the intake sits higher. The operating rod needs to be lengthened so the the kick down slide is parallel with the block. If the geometry is off then the wrong amount of pressure is applied to the kickdown lever on the tranny and blammo...bye bye tranny.

The cable kickdowns are a nice setup and will work for any carb/intake combo you use. I prefer the one form here... www.bouchillonperformance.com

They have detailed installation instructions and are specifically designed for Mopar's. No cutting or modifying and it is a nice product. I got one on my Bee and it was pretty easy to install.

PS. They also offer stock replacement pulleys for any application!!!
Old 01-15-2003, 03:28 PM
Inactive User

Ok, I'm convinced. Thanks all!
Old 01-15-2003, 11:02 PM
Inactive User

ModTop, I'm the guy who designed that bracket. I make those kits in my shop and sell them to Mancini.

The reason the lower bracket doesn't have a pivot on it is because only some kickdown linkages use a pivot like you described. Go look at a bunch of other Mopar's some time and you'll see that many do not use a pivot, (one piece kickdown) and some use a pivot that mounts way to the rear of the manifold (pickup trucks for instance).

One other point: Reproduction kickdown linkages cost about $150 and still need to be modified to work with a taller manifold. A cable setup is much less expensive. I looked into building a tall three piece kickdown setup but the cost was really high and I just didn't think the market existed. Of course, that is what I built for myself on my car!

AndyF
Old 01-16-2003, 03:18 AM
Inactive User

Hi
I must join this topic since I soon will be there myself!
Just as ModTop Ive been looking at the original pivot construction With some nice rearpointing extensionplate with a new pivotpin mounted in combination with the two level upper bolts you can easely make it.
Offcourse I need to do a little extension for the up/down going part of the linkage,,but Im sure it will work!?
Now the the scary part of it,,,,

"If the geometry is off then the wrong amount of pressure is applied to the kickdown lever on the tranny and blammo...bye bye tranny. "

Is it possible,,a little wrong setup and bye bye tranny?
Then the same thing could happen if the original frontmaking force spring goes off or loosen some of its strenght!?

Can I really ruin my 727 by an in correct or broken kickdownsetup?

Best Olle B
Old 01-16-2003, 04:23 AM
Inactive User

It's propably possible, but it must be way off then. Before I went with manual valve bodies, I used to build my own linkage. I found out that in most cases I could replace the original three piece linkage with a self made on piece rod, and they worked just fine.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

I suppose using phrases as "...blammo..." and "...bye bye tranny..." are a bit harsh. I just want to emphasize the importance of using a properly functioning kickdown. Having no kickdown will definately ruin your tranny. It's not a catestrophic failure...more like a progressive failure and it WILL happen.

Ollie I am sure your setup will work, just be sure that the kickdown lever travels at the same rate as your throttle and besure that when your throttle hits it's stops that the kickdown lever is also at it's stops.

I envy you guys who have the resources and tools to cut, measure, and fabricate your own mounts and etc. However, I don't have access to that kind of stuff and the amount of time it would take for me to measure and draw something up and give it to one of the plant mechanics to do on his spare time and find some sort of compensation...it's just easier getting and installing the kit from Bouchillon. Besides, $100 versus at least $350 for a rebuilt tranny and an unresolved problem is a good deal in my book.