Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-26-2000, 08:00 PM

Right now I have a '95 Dodge Intrepid ES with 122,300 miles on the odometer... I take care of her, change all the fluids at the correct intervals myself, but I'm looking for something new. I figure my price range is about $12K, I'd prefer a coupe, I want something with some cajones under the hood like my Intrepid. I'm in no rush so figured I'd start asking for ideas here, a coupe with some power, and preferably a manual transmission, in the $12K range.

Thanks
Sam
Old 09-27-2000, 05:10 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Those manual tranny's are fun to drive, for sure, especially if they have some guts.

I have an old 92 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the 210 hp 3.4L DOHC and a rare Getrag hi-perf 5 spd. I can't say as I'd reccomend getting one as it hasn't been anywhare near as reliable as my 88 2.5L 5 spd LeBaron convt. But it is a lot quicker. Too bad my LeBaron isn't an 174 hp Turbo 5 spd. with AC, or it would be just as fun to drive.

In the past 5 yrs, I don't think Chrysler has been making many 5 spd cars, save the Neon and Vipers.

I know this is a lot more than $12k, but Chyrsler finally came out with a quick FWD V6, with 210 hp and a 5 spd. Gas mileage wasn't great and they run Prem fuel, but they look good and have the specs to be quick. They are the new Sebring Coupe & Dodge Stratus Coupe. Bet one would look good in Indigo Blue.

Good luck,

BobC
Old 09-27-2000, 12:53 PM

Re: the Stratus and Sebring.
I all but fell in love when I saw a new 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T, fully loaded on the lot at Warwick Dodge. About 2 weeks later I saw a soccer-mom driving it. Wish my mom had a car that cool when I was younger, but all in all her old Acclaim will be a project car soon that'll hopefully run circles around a Stratus R/T... I've already seen like I said, the Stratus R/T and just the other dy I saw a Stratus sedan on the road...so selling my soul to the Devil is still a possible option.

I'd love to get my hands on a late 80's, early 90's Lebaron with the 2.5l 4 banger and a 5-speed, or even a Spirit R/T. I found one for sale up near me in Marlboro but I think it's already gone...guy only wanted about $3K for it too...bah.

Sam

[This message has been edited by Marlin (edited September 27, 2000).]
Old 09-28-2000, 06:23 AM
Inactive User

Well, the 2.5L 4 with the 5 spd is certainly the most reliable car I've owned, mechanically. It gets a steady 29.5 to 31.0 mpg in mixed city/suburb driving, and 35 on the highway at 65 mph. The only problem its had in a long time was the rear window motor that went out 3 yrs ago, and a new top and struts in 95 or so. Mine had 67k on the clock (odometer not working) when I got it in the summer of '93. The 1st few yrs I only drove it on the weekends, but after a while I started driving it instead of my Saturn because it was more fun to drive. After a yr I sold the Saturn and the LeBaron has been the daily driver since. It will need tires in back for winter, and I put those 2 on in 94, so its probably around 140k, now, given that tires would be good for 50k+, since it isn't driven hard and they still have 10k left on them. It has a little oil leak on the valve cover, but never uses much oil between changes.

For an 88, it looks real good. Want to see a pic, just for grins?

You are probably too far away to sell it to, but I'll probably sell it for $2300 or so if I can't get my daughter to want me to keep it for her to drive.