Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-14-2000, 05:53 AM
Inactive User

I have a really good question. I have a 89 Lebaron with the 2.5 turbo engine. I also have water leaking out of the bellhousing of the transmission. Are there freeze plugs in the back of these blocks? Can't wait to do this repair if they do. Not having ever needed to pull this engine I do not know if there are plugs in the back of the block. I checked the water lines that go to the turbo and they look sound. Thanks
Old 10-14-2000, 09:44 PM
95 Intrepid ES 3.5,

There are no freeze plugs on that side of the engine. The coolant leak you're seeing is most likely from the turbo coolant line across the side of the head. You need to remove the air box to see it. There is a rubber hose with two compression clamps on either end, cut the clamps and replace the hose with a fresh rubber one and re-clamp it
(use new clamps of course)
Be careful because the oil feed line to the turbo is there too. DON'T mistake it!
(Done this a bunch of times on cars with the same problem) It is easy to miss the leak from these hoses. if it isn't them, there is a freeze plug on the head but i'm pretty sure that it's for oil. It's possible the head gasket has gone bad (no suprises there)

good luck!

[This message has been edited by stanz510 (edited October 14, 2000).]
Old 10-15-2000, 03:31 AM
Inactive User

Question

Stanz510,
There is no trace of water on the top of the trans, that's why I included the comment that the coolant hose to the turbo looked good otherwise you would see water there. Thats the reason for the question as to whether or not there are freeze plugs behind the flex-plate. I do know the difference between the oil and water supply lines, just have not had hardly any work done on this car. It has been very reliable until a few months ago, then several things went south at once. Thanks for the reply, and I'll go investigate some more.