Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Inactive User

Question /6 tappet adjustment-first time

Hi
I just got a box of tune-up parts at the local NAPA to go through the /6 on the 76 volare I just got from the wife's gramma.

The motor is in good shape but responses to previous threads posted here indicate that the tappets need adjusting.

I have never done this. I got the 76 plymouth service manual off ebay but the instructions arent as clear as I would like.

Any /6 experts want to share their techniques/tips for doing this job? I am sure it isnt hard but I need to know what tools etc I have to have. It looks like I am going to need a dial gauge, what type is best etc.

Thanks in advance

Charles

70 roadrunner 440 4sp
76 volare-gramma special
Old 01-18-2003, 09:00 PM
Inactive User

I remember reading an article RE: valve adjustment that recommended driving a few hiway miles to thoroughly heat soak the engine. Then, when you get home, pull the rocker cover screws and related hardware, start the engine, and turn the idle down as low as possible. Attach a vacuum guage. Remove the rocker cover, and try to slide the appropriate sized feeler gauge between the rocker and valve stem. If the gap is too large, tighten the rocker adjuster until you notice the idle vacuum start to drop. This is caused by the valve being held off its seat from lack of clearance. Loosen the adjuster until the vacuum reading comes back up. Once properly adjusted, the feeler guage should move through the gap like pulling an oiled magnet over steel.

On my '72 Dart, I had fits trying to get rid of the detonation. The vacuum advance had been disconnected before I bought it, yet it would still ping on 92-octane gas. I actually had the initial advance(distributor) set a couple degrees retarded. One day, I got a wild hair to check the valve adjustment: .018/.028 when they should be .010/.020. Once I got that straightened out, it changed the whole personality of the car; quieter, smoother, more power, and ran fine on 87-octane. After I power timed it(advanced the timing for maximum vacuum at idle - who needs factory specs anyhow , it was indescribably better.