Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Inactive User

Default Edelbrock RPM Series Mufflers - Yes/No?

Has anyone tried these things out? If so, How do they sound? Good performance gain? (or loss)?
Old 01-19-2003, 06:23 PM

I would pass on the EB mufflers and go with Dynomax Turbos, instead.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Inactive User

Personally I don't know about the Edelbrocks, but I wouldn't put a Dynomax on a dogsled, let alone a car that I think alot of ee:....djs
Old 01-19-2003, 10:02 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Flowmaster are the way to go! And most are cheaper than the eddy's. Edelbrock probably dont make them too.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by djswwg
Personally I don't know about the Edelbrocks, but I wouldn't put a Dynomax on a dogsled, let alone a car that I think alot of ee:....djs
So, what do you have agains the Dynomax mufflers?? I've used the Turbos, in the past and found them to be a really good muffler. I know many people with the Turbo II mufflers on their cars and they really like them. The only complaint that I have heard is that they tend to remove alot of the muscle sound at idle. The only thing better than the Dynomax is the flowmaster, and they are a heck of a lot more expensive.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

Everyone has different experiences.

I have to agree with Ed on this subject.

The dynomax is a good muffler, and it's cheap.

djswwg, you're in ontario right? Do you find they rust prematurely, or something?
Old 01-19-2003, 11:32 PM

exactly... I wasn't trying to be defensive, I would just like to know why you dis-like them. It may sway me against them in the future.

As far as the EB mufflers go, I wouldn't buy them, simply because EB isn't known for mufflers. I would have no problems with EB heads, intakes, or carb. I just wouldn't buy EB mufflers or cams, because I know that there is better stuff out there.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

The Edelbrock mufflers look decent, but they are really expensive.
I think the cost is why I have never seen a car using them. I have no idea how they compare in flow or sound to the other mufflers.

In one muffler shootout, I think, the Dynomax mufflers flowed better than the FlowMasters and were a bit quieter.
The main reason I use them is the flow and cost. The dynomax mufflers are about the cheapest "good flowing" muffler.
The Dynomax mufflers do not sound as good as the flow master mufflers and when I has my 2.5" exhaust on my 383 engine they seemed to drone or resonate around 3,000 RPM.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:22 AM

I have to second that on the Cost of EB mufflers. I remember when they first came out. Thought that they looked pretty cool, but when I read the price

All I've run are cheap turbos, cherry bombs, then made the jump to Flowmaster and never looked back. The Flo's are a little loud, but isn't that 1/2 of the fun?

You might want to take a look at the Hooker Max flow's and Aero Chambers too. I think they might be a little cheaper than Flowmaster. Don't forget SpinTec and Mac. Not quite as popular, but then seem to have an excellent product!

I'm starting to lose faith in magazine articles. The product that wins seems to be the one affiliated with the magazine???

Later,

Greg
Old 01-20-2003, 01:33 AM

Anyone run FLotech (Holley) Terminators? I was reading some reviews and they sound decent for the price. About 50 bucks a piece I think. 100% galvanized steel construction, 15 lbs a piece!
Old 01-20-2003, 05:21 AM
Inactive User

The reason for the E-briocks seemingly high price is that they are stainless. Personally I do not like the sound of the Flowmasters in my engines. I have had both Ebrocks 3" and 3" flowmasters, but replaced them with Dynomax Truck Super Turbos; half the noice or less, same power. When dynoed on a 400 hp BB, the average power of the E-brocks and the Flowmasters were practically the same. There were better ones, but the differencies were not big at that power level. And they aren't very big even at higher level; Muscle Motors lost 40 horsepower in a 800+ hp 572 going from 4" race mufflers to 2.5" dynomax turbos. Currently I'm using one board members mufflers, http://www.racemufflers.com . They are excellent.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:21 PM
Inactive User

I think the cost of the Edelbrock muffler has a lot to do with materials. I know the packing material inside of the muffler took some work to stand up to temperature.

I haven't driven a muscle car with the mufflers in it, but I have with the Honda Civic we have, and dang, that is a loud muffler. I was only happy to drive the car on the freeway when the turbo was on the car since a turbo muffles the exhaust a lot already. I think its a pretty common problem that we hear about our mufflers is that they are loud. I have heard of people talking about making a new muffler for us.

Also, when it comes to cost of parts, ours are always on the high side, since its all made here in California, not overseas. I think only a very small amount of parts, that are die cast, are done overseas. Everything else, done right here in the USA.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

Installed an over $100 EB on the old mans Suburban. Blew out before 40,000 miles. Expensive junk at that price.

While I appreciate Rogers' comments, and Edelbrocks products (in general), I'd not advise these mufflers. Even the stock piece lasted over 100,000 miles.

I run the Dynomax Super Hemi Turbos on my Chrysler, and a pair (delivered) was $80. Could go thru three sets of these for the price of a single pair of the EB. Plus, the sound is nice.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Inactive User

I don't blame you for slam'n our muffler. I don't work in the exhaust division, so no worries on my part. I personally don't like our muffler and I am happy to hear that we are working on a different one. And, personally, I would buy a different one since I don't like how noisey it is.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

That's the spirit Roger!

Ok I guess I'll look at other mufflers....
Old 01-21-2003, 06:24 PM
Inactive User

Default mufflers

for all round sound and performance,flowmasters are hard to beat
Old 01-22-2003, 01:00 AM

You know your on top when every new muffler compares itself to you. But it also tells you something when every new muffler beats you in the comparison! Im going to try another brand..70 bucks for a muffler is too rich for my blood.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:05 AM
Inactive User

I feel the same way, when we tested differetn mufflers in the dyno, even the cheapest 2.5" daytona turbos did pretty well. They were actually better than 3" super Trapps for 1/10 price! So that's why I basically recommend any muffler you feel comfortable with. There is no "magic" mufflers that will add tens of horsepower, since the loss with the worst performance mufflers we tested compared to an open pipe is not tens of horsepower either. And each application may vary too, and then there is the accuracy of the dyno which is considered top be about 1%. The majority of the mufflers tested did fit within that 1%. And the sound level did not go hand in hand with the power level either, there was "bad" (in my opinion none of them were really bad) loud mufflers and good quiet mufflers.
We had the 3" RPM mufflers in a SB with stainless pieps, and they were way too loud and had a raw sound. I thought that maybe it's because they just were too big diameter for our combo and therefore not effective, but it seems like that's the nature of them.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:44 AM
Inactive User

Default My big problem....

...is that EVERYBODY and their brother runs Flows...and I personally don't want my Dart to sound like every other freakin' car on the road. Flows have that DAMN "drone" that I hate so much. I have the RPM Ed's on my Dart and I love them..all my friends think my car has a fresh, unusual sound to it that still sounds tuff. I like it..it's not too loud at highway speed, and as for price...I didn't pay any more than I would have with Flows.
I hate to be like everyone else..I like to be different, maybe that's why I'm building a T/A Dart (something Dodge would have done back then if they were smart).
Old 01-22-2003, 08:34 AM
Inactive User

The best mufflers I ever had were Thrush CVX's, which when looking at the cross section of the eddy's is where edelbrock got the design from. I ran 2 1/2's on a 360 with some work (ported j's, 284/484 cam, 1 5/8 headers) with full tail pipes. I got many comments on how cool that car sounded. You could hear the cam at idle, but it wasn't overly loud, but when you tromped it, it was like wide open pipes. If I saw a cop I would back out of it and it would quieten right down. Those mufflers lasted 10 years without a hole and still had their packing (about 50,000 miles) before I had to put the car down (frame and quarter cancer). I wish they still made those muffs.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Hey Dartman-

Have you looked at the Delta Flow Series of Flow Master's. I've got these on my Challenger and I swear by them.

These muffler lower the interior resonance (that drumming sound you get, and no its not my lifters!) and with an X-pipe are very respectable for driving long distances. Excellent idle sound too.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:28 AM

Damn, they dont make CVX's anymore? that was my Ace in the hole!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 03:18 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, I've been looking at them all. I do have to agree with SUPERDART though when he says he likes to be different. I feel the same way. (I think we all do to some point if we're here in a Mopar forum talking )

If the only complaints with the RPMs is that they're loud, that's no problem for me. If I think they suck, well I can always pull em off and throw 'em on eBay.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:59 AM
Inactive User

Default mufflers

i have tried every muffler available to me and i work at a performance shop (kinda)
flowmasters are very expensive and all have that drone. i personally like the drone, but some don't. flowmasters also don't flow as well as the other two i am about to mention.

flopros. i don't know if anyone has heard of them but ask your exhaust shop. they have a wicked mean sound to them but be warned, they are loud. my buddys 440 fury, my other buddys 12.5:1 compression 68 dart and another mopar nut with a 10 second 440 duster all run these mufflers, and these are the loudest baddest mofos around. cheap too, probably 50 bucks each installed. many different sizes available to give you different sounds. use only if you wanna be heard.

my personal favorite, hooker aerochambers. run with a 2.5 inch exhaust with an h-pipe mandrel bends dumped at the diff these mufflers drop my et less than a tenth on average, but my 60 ft times are .05 - .07 faster! thats a huge difference, the amount of torque i have with the system on is really crazy, neither the flo pros or the flowmasters could provide this much power. nice crisp sound at idle and partial throttle, but watch out when you open em up! you can see right through this muffler by the way.

all i know is stay away from cherry bombs, glass bottles whatever. they disrupt the exhaust flow to the point where some cars will run shitty when cherry bombs are installed.

some else mentioned flotech terminator mufflers. these are big heavy wastes of money. 160 bucks canadian per muffler, for a low grade muffler. i have dealt with warranty calls on flotech enough times to know not to go near their products when they hedman and hooker stuff can be had at comparable prices.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:22 AM
Inactive User

Lookin for a name for the Cuda? How about Wanda?

as in "A fish called ..."
Old 01-26-2003, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

First of all, the Dyno Turbos sounded loud but not very cool. The seams split and the packing began to come loose. One day I saw something inside the tailpipe tip and pulled out a piece of baffle with a pair of pliers. So I bought a pair of Flowtech Afterburners and a couple of neat things happened. First, the sound was way better at idle, cruise and WOT. Second the horrible drone the Turbos made was virtually gone. The seat of the pants feel improved dramatically too. These mufflers are welded and have no fibreglass or other junk; you can see thru them. I have sold many of these since putting them on my car, many of which were to replace ynomax mufflers....djs Oh ya, I do live in Canada but this isn't a factor as the car is high and dry from Oct. to May
Old 01-26-2003, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

Seem to be a lot of different opinions out there. I guess that might be because all of us are a bit different in what we all like and dislike.
I have ran a set od Edelbrock mufflers on my old '73 'CUDA 340(mildly built). The biggest reasons I tried them was because they fit nicely at the end of the pipes right behind the rear valance. They seemed to perform alright ,but they were definatly expensive. There was also a funny tone comming out the back of the car. Now I was running the stock square tips on it ,but it seemed to have a blapp,blapp, blapp sound out the back. I really kind of hated the sound. Anyone else run into that? My buddie's 440 'cuda had the stock tips ,but ran flomasters and it sounded very good.
As for other mufflers I have ran the Dynomax and they did well. Good sound performed well too. Much, much cheaper too!!!
Flomasters did excellent on my Road Runner and that is what I am using on the new motor. My buddie ran the Flotechs on his racecar (70 challenger 360) and was somewhat satisfied. But he is now running flomasters.
I really have to say though ,I personally believe that Edelbrocks are too expensive for what you(or I) got in trade. I would definatly check into different mufflers.But once again ,that's just my opinion.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:09 AM
Inactive User

For those of you who want a Flowmaster muffler and creep by the man, stay tuned for a new product that I cannot mention yet due to the fact of its in final stages of testing and I would be fired on the spot. Ive heard them personally and you would never guess their a Flow. I ran 3"spin tech pro street mufflers on my 318 and had them custom made to exit in front of rear wheel [like the challengers-cudas] and I loved them, only problem was neighbors couldnt stand hearing a , "drag race car" @ 5:30am mon-fri. If you want somthing DIFFRENT and gets alot of looks, there you go. That set up is currently up for grabs if anyone is interested. If you want to see them click on WineCountryMopar.com then click members cars, then darrens 71 Roadrunner
Old 02-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Highest flowing chambered muffler would be the HookerAerochamber. Then the other type being Hookers Max flow and DynoMax's Max flow. (Non chambered mufflers)
Old 02-16-2003, 01:57 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

You might want to check out the all welded Dynomax Ultraflows at $59.95 each. Two years in row they have offered a $25 rebate per muffler some time during the year. I replaced my almost new 2 chamber Flowmasters two years ago with these and really like them. Great flow and sound but not too loud! The after rebate price of $35 was a steal in my opinion.