Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-13-1999, 08:29 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Im wondering if anyone out there in swap land has ever put a big block into a 61-71 dodge truck. I am receiving a 67 383 commando automatic that I want to put into either my 70 318 4 speed 4x4 or my worn out 71 318 4 speed 3/4 ton 2x. But I can not find a bell housing for the truck 4 speed for the big block so Im wondering what you guys think. I use the two wheeler for towing and the 318 is wore out. But the 4x has a great 318. Should I recam the motor and put it to tow use and use the 383 auto for the torque to turn the 35's in the slop. I bought a centerforce clutch and have not installed it. Would The small block get better around town mileage than the auto 383 with 3.55 gears in the dana 60 or vice versa?
Is the four by 727 shorter due to divorced transfer case or can I use the car tranny?

I think the motor has 906 heads, What was the rated hp and torque for that motor. It is a four barrel. What was the comp ratio also. For octane reasons. Your help will make the decision easier.
Old 12-13-1999, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, the factory put big blocks into those trucks so it is a easy swap. There is a great website dedicated to 61-71 Dodge trucks. You should check it out. I parted out a 70 D200 with a factory 383 last year so I have the complete swap kit. Manifolds, motor mounts, front sump oil pan, etc. I had them up for sale and a guy told me he would take them but I've never seen the check. So if he doesn't show up with the money in the near future I might put them back up for sale. I've seen guys swap motors in using the later model motor mounts and rear sump but I'm pretty sure that doesn't work as well as the original factory setup.
Old 12-14-1999, 01:52 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Was the truck you mentioned an auto or a stick, I know a guy who has all the pieces I need except the bigger radiator and the bell housing that doesnt use hydraulic lines to activate the clutch. I still have to refresh the 383 so I have some time. I will have to get back to you to see what all you have. The 61-71 website you mentioned is a very valuable site. I have learned alot on this board, so keep up the good work.
Old 12-14-1999, 03:37 AM
Inactive User

Regardless of how you decide to go the 318 will get a little better mileage than the 383,myself I like a little more power,your 383 in 67 probably doesnt have 906 heads,only if its a 330hp motor and late year production,after sept.But the heads it most likely has are obscure,probably 902s,small exh valve at 1.60 but they have closed chambers!Also Lakewood has come to our rescue,they now make a BB truck bellhousing although its a little pricey at $309.Available from Jegs and Summit.Hope this helps.....PRO...
Old 12-21-1999, 07:06 AM
Inactive User

So what is the difference with closed chamber heads. Im kind of interested in that. Does it give you more compression or something. The motor was in a fury sport and it really hauled the mail. Now that im informed of the bell housing from jegs, I am going to put the 318 into the two wheeler. It has a holley four barrel intake, headers and runs well. One of the lifters ticks a little so I will change in a cam and lifters and put it into the truck. I will leave the 4 speed in the 4 by so I wont have to change much. How much does an adapter cost for the big block to small block bell housing.

[This message has been edited by cageman (edited December 21, 1999).]
Old 12-21-1999, 07:31 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Cageman-closed chamber(516,915) heads have a heart shaped combustion chamber which is smaller than open chamber(906,452,346)heads,the closed chamber raises the comp. approx. .5,it also is of a better design,it produces a better flame front(is more efficent)but the ports are somewhat inferior to the open chamber,port matching at the inlet of the intake port and at the outlet of the exh. should be definitely considered as well as the larger exh. valve should be installed(1.6vs1.74)have the machine shop blend the bowls and backcut the valves and do a 30*(vs45*) valve job for more low rpm torque.Dont forget you may have the better heads but not likely.If both trucks have 318s 4 speeds and your buying the Lakewood bellhousing why do you need a SB to BB adapter? Your BB will bolt right up to your existing trans. with the lakewood bellhousing, you mention a 727 w/4x4 but you also state both are 4 speed?...PRO...

[This message has been edited by PRO (edited December 21, 1999).]
Old 12-21-1999, 12:39 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Pro, Thanks for the info, you know your stuff. Yes I do have 2 318's right now, but im getting two 383's with auto, one of them is in a monaco and the other is in a fury sport. The 318 in my 2wheeler is an oil burning pig with no power and the clutch is almost gone. The 318 in my 70 4X is a 68 and it runs strong(except that pesky lifter) and now I have 35's on it and the damn clutch is gone(I see a pattern here). I will definatly freshen up a 383 but I am pricing out the options with the new bell housing, adapter, and automatic install. Sorry if I confused you when I change my mind. Thanks again for your help!