Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-25-2003, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

Question New 5.7 Hemi in my Dart, anybody think that would be cool? Few ?

I think I can get my hands on a new Hemi out of a friends wrecked truck, I was just wondering if anyone has looked into this kind of swap? The engine,trans mounts would be easy as well as tunnel mods for the 5-speed Auto. The hard part would be getting the factory computer hooked up, and the drive by wire throttle control. Another thought would be to ditch all that crap and build a new intake and run a carb then use a crank trigger type ignition on it, then there's the transmission, how could I get it to shift?? I'm a machinist and have access to a complete machine shop so it's not much of a problem to build any custom parts I might need, and after all this how fast would it be I wonder?? I'm just thinking about this, if you have any input I would be glad to hear it.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:13 PM
Inactive User

Well I am kind of an idiot. But I think you could build a BB or small block for about half of what its going to cost you and make alot more power. Although you wouldnt have the spark plugs through the valve covers.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

i forget where ive read it, but i heard that ma mopar was planning on making the new hemi available in a crate version. so you may call them and ask. also, as far as the economics of it, to hell with em!!!! itd be way too cool to worry about such piddley things as cost.
if you have acess to a full machine shop, build an intake for four webers, I.E.: an individual runner intake manifold. then, use a keisler five speed manual setup behind it. the new hemi uses a stock small block bellhousing from what i understand.
just imagine it in a primer white 68 dart with all the fiberglass trimmings.....
mike
Old 01-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Inactive User

like duster said, sounds like they are going to offer it in a crate motor. at that time, they will probably have solved the problems you ask about, plus they will be offering much higher hp levels in crate form too- NOT SUGGESTING YOU BUY A CRATE MOTOR, but you could score an intake, ignition, etc...maybe you could get the whole truck and swap everything, including the drive by wire throttle control, now that would be something. then wait for the speed parts start hitting the shelves and go from there. either way, if you have the chance to lay your hands on one, grab it!!!! you simply cannot beat the "cool" factor this adds to your ride.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:55 AM
Inactive User

Post Shouldn't be "hard"

I would think that as long as you took ALL of the electronic controls out of the truck, you shouldn't have too many problems.
Fabricate new mounts for engine/trans, new trans tunnel, drop in new motor with new harness/computer. The "fly by wire" isn't that bad. It should only be a variable POT attached to the pedal, with wires leading to the ECM. All that would really be needed is an adapter to mount the pedal/pot to your floorboard. Just be sure the Voltage reading on the POT at idle is the same once you get it in. Most heavy diesels have been running FBW throttle systems for years..once you look at it you'll see how simple it is.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2003, 06:27 PM
performance engines

Default go

I second superdart, get the whole truck, then take everything you need, make it fit, would be one sweet ride!!!
Old 01-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Inactive User

i'm going to third, fourth, AND fifth that....