Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

cry2 now i am mad!!

now i am really upset!!!
#33092 - 02/03/03 01:06 PM Edit Reply Quote

when i got my 72 dart swinger, it was all tore apart for restoration, windsheild was out and everything, so i painted the inside and everything, then i got my new windshield gasket and installed the glass into the gasket and then into the car, well, it leaked like crazy, so i was told that i was supposed to use liquid butyl between the gasket and the body, so instead of fooling with it myself, i figured i would call the pros in to do it, i talked to a buddy of mine that has about 50 darts and dusters, he said all the local glass doctors and stuff like that cant never get his right ahey usually leak, so i hunted around and was told about this guy that knew older cars and was good, so i just called him, as soon as i said 'dodge dart' he said that he would rather not fool with it because the gasket deal on them was a poor design, being it not have a flange on the bottom channel of the window and that they are hell to seal up without it still leaking, and he also said that he cant get that liquid butyl or whatever they used back then, he told me the best thing to do would be to get some body seam sealer that wont set up and try getting it between the gasket and the body, but i really dont think i can get it right, i tried laying a nice bead of silicone around it and it still leaks a bit. damn i hate this, ive been trying to put in carpet and get my interior done for 2 years now, but this leak keeps stopping everything i try to do, what do i do, sell the car and buy a newer mopar, after all the work ive done to it? give me some answers guys, i dont want to give up my dart over this, but i dont want to see the floor rot out of it either.
thanks forgot to mention, the wiper pivots are good, no leaks there..
Old 02-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

take the clear silicone put it around the crome at the top and bottom of the crome and rubber top and bottom make sure you got everything covered real good it may look a little tacky but it will work
Old 02-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Inactive User

sell it.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Inactive User

Liquid butyl primer and butyl tape are still used all of the time. I use it everyday in the burial vault business. What do you think we use to seal those? Check with a local vault company or funeral home at worst. The stuff is out there. I'll check with the painter at my work to see where we get ours. I know it's the same stuff...
Old 02-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Inactive User

Using silicone under the chrome may stop the leak but hope you don't have to pull the chrome or glass back off. Someone did this on my '69 Super Bee, it took me 8 hrs to pull the front and rear glass, that was with a freind helping me all day, although it was some kind of sealer and not silicone. With the sealer in the way, it's almost impossible to release the clips.

Cecil
Old 02-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Inactive User

I dont want to use the silicone again as i am trying to restore the car, not to show condition but nice, the silicone just didnt work.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Banned

I never take mine out in the rain but last summer I did get caught in a real downpour about 5 minutes from the barn. Water was dripping on my foot pretty good. Never seems to leak when washing though. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Inactive User

Get a wax candle and light it as the wax melts let it drip in the areas that leak, or just get some bees wax or regular wax and pot melt it, then use a hot air gun to get it down in the seam more, may take two or three times to get a seal but it works. Learned this tip for an old glass man. Hope this helps
Old 02-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Inactive User

any more suggestions?
Old 02-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Inactive User

use 3M windsheild urethane adhesive.its what you should have used with the gasket to set it originally.take the glass out again and maybe a new gasket to be safe put the urethane on the glass then the gasket and more urethane around the opening.put the glass in and put more urethane around gap between body and glass,inside and out if possible.the bottom is the most critical.you can get this at an autobody supply store for@$12 a tube.wear gloves cuz its hell getting off the skin and tape around the body to make cleanup easy.ive done alot of windsheilds and they never leak when i do them like this.good luck.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Inactive User

Mark is right. Use a primerless urethane and make sure you dont slam the door shut with the windows closed after initially setting the windshield.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:28 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
then i got my new windshield gasket and installed the glass into the gasket and then into the car
Did you really put the glass in the gasket and then on the car. This is backwards. I have done my Dart's glass by myself and they do not leak. I used rope calk all the way around the body channel of the gasket. This is very much the same way the factory did it. Urethane works great to seal but clear silicone sucks. It does not adhere to the glass very well and will loose its adhesion over time.

The newer gaskets (aftermarket like Year One...) have a little bit narrower glass channel than the original and they do not leak from there.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Inactive User

Hammer74, can you give me step by step and VERY detailed instructions on how to do this the right way, pretend your telling a 5 year old, because i dont want to miss a thing, i want it right this time, ok, last time this is what we did, we put the glass into the gasket, then istalled the glass/gasket into the car and thats it! didnt use any sealer at all, didnt realize we were supposed to, so i put that black RTV around it hoping to stop the leaks but..., so what do i do, e-mail me if you like cashley@united.net
Old 02-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Banned

My Cuda does the same thing...so....

I drilled a drain hole in my floor pan ....
Old 02-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by cuda66273
My Cuda does the same thing...so....

I drilled a drain hole in my floor pan ....

LOL!! i fell off my chair when i read that!!

my roadrunner leaks from the windshield too, and i have basically NO weather stripping around the side windows (between the door window, and small side window behind it) i just break out the shopvac, rags, and blower to dry it. i also use some carpet dissinfectant stuffs i found in the back of a shelf at Car Quest. don't know what it is, but it works

good luck!
Old 02-08-2003, 09:26 AM
Banned

Of course I'll be in trouble if I hit the duck pond at the end of the track...this Cuda don't swim worth a dam.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:33 PM
Inactive User

Hammer74, so what would seal the gasket to the body channel better, the rope caulk or the urethane stuff?
thanks
Old 02-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Inactive User

if you decide to get rid of the dart let me know i already have a 72 swinger wouldnt mind having another one i have another motor to drop in
nvmy72dart@aol.com
Old 02-17-2003, 09:48 PM
Inactive User

Bunkster, now that is funny.

mopower440, I sent you the links to every 3M glass adhesive and the urethanes are meant for non-channel glass (flush mount). The tape is an idea though. 2 side by side rows on the bottom edge where there is no pinch weld and a single layer all the way around the pinch weld. I am not sure how thick the tape is; it could hinder the installation by taking up too much room and squeezing in the glass channel of the gasket.

Its your call. Maybe a reputable glass guy in you area would be able to answer the question better.

Old 02-18-2003, 03:54 AM
Inactive User

I'd just take it to a reputable, local auto glass shop, not say anything about the problems you've been having, and have them install it.

If it then leaks, it's their problem, not yours.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:19 AM
Banned

Another brilliant and informative post from the Bungster.....

Here's a short sentence for you:
F**K Off.

I will unsubscribe from all posts where the Bungster intervenes with his brilliance and mastery of the English language. It's off topic rhetoric and I just don't have time for his non-sense.

I urge all to do the same and not encourage this fool any longer.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:47 PM
Inactive User

I hate to miss a good fight.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Inactive User

uh oh
Old 02-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Inactive User

I lived in Maple Valley when there were no houses on Lake Wilderness.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:03 PM
Inactive User

There are still no houses on Lake Wilderness. They'd have to be boat houses. Ok, there are bunches around it now!
Old 02-18-2003, 04:22 PM
Inactive User

Forgive my incorrect useage of the language. Next time I post, I'll ask the bunkster to help me with the words.... or maybe Don.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Inactive User

I'd pick Don. Obviously a better grasp of word usage.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:42 PM
Inactive User

Well, maybe... but he doesn't even know how to spell "*UC*"!
Old 02-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Inactive User

I'm not sure , but I think you put your two letters together with his two letters and ya got it!
Old 02-19-2003, 08:04 PM
Inactive User

i think i am confused as hell. I thought that the tape stuff was for the newer type cars that have no gasket, i thought that you ran the tape all the way around and stuck it to the car, but you are saying the urethane is for that newer type, im not trying to be smart, just confused, like i said, i dont know crap about this glass stuff, makes me want to gut the thing and take it to the dirt track..