Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

Default how many amps do i need?

there has been alot of discussion on alternator size lately.if i run 2 electric fans,an electric fuel pump,crane hi-6 electronic ignition,and a good sound system what amp size would be enuff to keep my cars electronics operateing properly without going to overkill.i was thinking of buying the 78 amp power master.thanks
Old 02-04-2003, 10:28 PM

If trucknrvsupply is still selling the 130 amp unit on ebay, I would go with one of them. They are better than the power master and cost less. At the same time, a replacement 130 amp unit can be had at your local parts store. The power master will have to be sent in and then you wait for a replacement.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:40 PM

Do the math. You can add up your draw and if it is lower than your total potential output, then you are OK. Remember your alternator only puts out what is needed as determined by the regulator. Dont think a 130 amp job is going to kick out 130 all the time. The alternator also doesnt like idle RPM's either, that is where your Battery is getting its workout. Bad battery, bad output at idle.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:32 PM

I wasn't trying to say that the 130 AMP unit is a fix all. Just trying to point out that it can be had cheaper than the Power master unit and that if it ever fails a replacement is at the local parts store and that the the PM unit would have to be shipped back to PM and then you have to wait for a new PM unit (approx 2 weeks down time).
Old 02-05-2003, 01:55 AM

I agree. Local supplier is always superior to Mail order. A brick and mortar store has a nice big plate glass window in the front that can receive most "returns" (hahaha)
Old 02-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Inactive User

Here are some good base numbers on current draw to estimate alternator size.

Electric fan 12A each
Fuel pump 5A-10A
The elect. ign. doesn't draw much current at all.
Headlights draw around 20A
as does the heater blower

The stereo system is the biggest variable. Depending on the size of your amps and subs you could easily outdraw all your other accessories combined. I've heard big subs with amp can draw 50A max.

So figure with the heat on at night your MAX current draw would be around 74A without any radio at all. It's a rough estimate, but I would say if you are running any system worthwhile, you might want to consider 100A-130A, definitely not overkill because like pishta said the amp rating is a max rating and most alts don't even come close to that number at idle. Just my 2 cents.