Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

Default Megasquirt?

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
Has anyone tried this? I am considering using it on my 440 instead of buying a $1g and up FI system. On the site it says it costs 110, so i am wondering if it is any good, or is this just another case of "you get what you pay for"?
Old 02-05-2003, 02:32 AM

EFI is pretty easy to make. It is basically an 8 switch transistor. It gets its timing from the Crank or camshaft position sensor (I dont know how this particular one gets that input) and fires the injector when needed. A Variable pulse width/duration is used for the lean/rich mixture as determined by the closed loop O2 sensor and the TPS. The hardware has gotten down to a VLSI chip or two and the sensors are all modular. What you see here is a basic setup that will probably work. The quality of the setup is the tunability. If it is not tuneable, you end up with a home made TPI that will idle great but wont catch up with a cam change or other performance variables. If this has the tuneability, go for it. If it doesnt work, your out a night on the town with your signifigant other...If I had the gumption, I would try it, but I cant stand EFI ever since my Diamante started to F*&K up and I couldnt figure it out. Give me a smelly carb and some points; Ill get it started!

Oh yeah, your still going to need injectors at $35 a piece and Idle control solenoid and a bunch of other stuff (fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail, pump, return plumbing to the tank, bossed intake etc) that is not included in the "brain" Dont think your going to get off too light.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:31 AM
Inactive User

I think it boils down to the fact that none of this stuff is ever going be a "bolt it in and go" kind of deal. Unless you are acomputer expert, you might find yourself in over your head on something like this. It takes a long time to become proficient at tuning efi, and most of us do not have that kind of time. The nice thing about some of the more "mainstream" efi controllers (like fast, etc...) is that they probably have come across all sorts of calibration and component issues, and they can help you out of a jam. Not saying that the megasquirt guys cannot do this. Just make sure of that before buying. I would certainly try to find a person who built one and talk to them. Websites are great, but no substitute to talking to the guy who built one. Also, like pishta says, there are many more parts besides the computer. by the time you buy all the extras, your'e getting up there in price. Unless you have a monster motor, the edelbrock system for either big or sb mopars is looking like a better and bette deal.

IMHO, This kind of thing will require an "expert" level of ability. I would love to build my own efi system, but I do not think I have the expertise. I totally respect that you want to do this, very cool. good luck.