Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dodge Viper Chat...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Plutonium Member

Biggrin Sean Roe Supercharger & VEC2 report

Yesterday I went to my local Dodge dealer to see if my Viper Tech was un-busy enough to install my VEC2 and he was just finishing the installation of the VEC2 on VIPER GTS's beautiful Sappfire Blue and Silver stripes 2001 GTS. He said the installation of the VEC2 was easy and took about 30 minutes just like Sean roe said it would. VIPER GTS's car started right up the first time and sounded ungodly mean at idle. After it warmed up for 3 minutes Bobby, the Viper Tech, took it for a test ride per Sean's instructions. The PCM is disconnected during the installation of the VEC2 and it needs to be driven in order for it to learn how to drive the mighty Viper again. A short while later he came back grinning from ear-to-ear.

Having 2 Vipers at a dealership where normally there are no Vipers drew quite a crowd as my Viper was parked next to VIPER GTS's GTS for Bobby to work on. My Viper started up on the first try, too. Three minutes later I got to sit in the passenger seat of my own Viper for the first time and got taken for a test drive. (I never realized how hard it is to get in and out of the passenger seat compared to the driver's seat before.) The test drive went perfect - no detonation at all. I can see why my passengers say my Viper scares them (HeeHee!).

After dinner I remembered Sean Roe's instructions that after installation of his VEC2 that the Viper needs to be driven in order for the PCM to learn how to drive it again - yeah, like I need to be told that I need to drive my Viper.

I took it out and tried to get in as many driving conditions as possible so the PCM could learn how to drive. It felt like my PCM already knew how to drive in all situations already. I then found a section of interstate with almost no traffic on it and slowed down to 40 MPH, put it in 4th gear, and accellerated slowly up to 50 MPH and then introduced my Snake Pedal to my North California Viper Club Floor Mat fairly rapidly. Oh-My-Gosh! The Roe Supercharger is totally insane and by the time I let off the gas at 95 MPH I had to keep telling myself that I was in 4th gear and not 2nd gear at wide open throttle! The increase in accelleration as the RPMs come up pushed me back harder and harder. I think if I were on a closed course and stayed in 4th gear up to 6,000 RPM (150 MPH) that I would have been trying to convince myself that I was in 4th gear intead of full throttle in 1st gear.

The Combination of the Sean Roe Supercharger and the Roe VEC2 is even better than sliced bread. If you want a Viper that is much, much easier to drive in everyday driving conditions and can also give you a cardio-vascular workout - my heart rate was higher than normal for 2 hours after my full thottle run in 4th gear - Get the Roe Supercharger and VEC2 ordered right now!
Old 02-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Inactive User

Now that you got all that exsessive hp you should take the car down to the track and see what it runs. A blown V10 should make for some pretty impressive 1/4 mile times.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:35 AM
Plutonium Member

71dart666 -

Similarly equipped Vipers usually run 10.7 seconds ET and 132 MPH on the stock Viper Michelin Pilot Sports tires. The slowest anyone has run was a 11.1 seconds ET and 126 MPH, but he missed 4th gear. The fastest run (complete with timing slip) was 10.4 seconds and 136 MPH - this run was done using street legal drag tires and was done under cool temperatures.

I'll let those who know what they are doing run the 1/4 mile. I'll probably be taking my Viper to the dyno later this spring.

Before the Roe Supercharger, I measured 436 rear wheel horsepower and 480 pound/feet torque (SAE corrected). I expect around 575 rear wheel horsepower with the supercharger.

Next year I have to pass an emission test to get my license plate sticker. The VEC2 has already gotten Sean Roe's personal car to pass California standards and he is going to get his supercharger system EPA certified. Once I pass, I probabbly will put on Arrow Racing 1.7 roller rockers on as my last modification for power. Then I should dyno around 605 rear wheel horsepower.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Plutonium Member

Biggrin

I just got back from A-Vipering I'm A-Going and with driving with much, much exuberance I got 17.3 MPG city/highway/full throttle. At 675 HP, my Viper gets the best gas mileage of any car on my driveway.

Power to the People!
Old 02-11-2003, 12:28 AM
Inactive User

Thats pretty damn good, my slant 6 probably doesnt do much better then that But anyways are you concerned with bottom end reliability with that SC? I have heard that Vipers due to the aluminium block dont take well to forced induction, then again the guy that told me that isnt that smart.. seldom knows what hes talking about. If your not confident enough to take it to the strip yet...why not do the next most rational and responsible thing to do ! TOP SPEED TEST.. If you are in Cali just go like down 101 or highway 5 maybe? I bet you would break well over 200 mph.... Just make sure your strip of freeway is damn well paved.. Heh get a Video Camara and film it like that one nut.. I MEAN... person did in a Ferarri. lol.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Plutonium Member

Should be no problem with the bottom end. I bought the Viper as a long term investment/fun-as-hell car. I have all the original parts in storage in case whoever buys this baby wants to make it factory stock (why?).

I got the Roe Supercharger because of the tremendous torque at lower RPMs. This is my first manual shift car and by having so much torque, it "downshifts" like an automatic - without even changing gears. I now am pretty good at shifting, but I don't want to abuse it by running it on a dragstrip. That's why I say, "similar equipped Vipers have done this or that." I have no doubt that with a good driver that it would do the 1/4 mile in 10.XX seconds at 13X MPH and that it will reach 204 MPH in 5th gear at 6,000 RPMs - but I'll let similar equipped Viper do the actual running. (Though I sure wouldn't mind taking her up to 180+ MPH if there was a long straight with no traffic or police, but that doesn't happen in Ohio or neighboring states.)

I do plan on getting professional instruction at Viper days at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course this April. I probably will hit 150+ on the straightaways. But I will also be the slowest driver in the beginner group of drivers - don't worry, I'll learn plenty and maybe go to the Viper Days at Indy later on in the year for more learning. I've got many years to learn my way up to the intermediate group & if I do go to the intermediate group I'll upgrade my brakes.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Inactive User

Good luck with your car, out of curiosity do they sell stroker kits for Viper engines ?
Old 02-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Plutonium Member

There are strokers available, but I don't know if you can just buy the parts yourself and install them. Lingenfelter has a 510 and a 540 cubic inch packages available, but they do a lot of work on everything and the prices, well, sit down and look here -

http://www.lingenfelter.com/packages06.asp

There are some other stroker tuners out there, too.

The nice thing about the Roe Supercharger system is that it made insane power affordable for me. I'm not anywhere rich enough to even think about getting a stroker kit for my Viper.

BTW - It's my Viper's 1st birthday today. It was built February 11, 2002. I'm getting it a 94 octane VEC2 computer card and Sean Roe is getting it a 100 octane unleaded race gas VEC2 computer card.

Old 02-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Inactive User

Well at least you are rich enough to afford a Viper in itself. As well as some money left over for the mods.