Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Inactive User

cry2 Header Gasket suggestions please!!

well i have finally learned my dad was right, headers are a bitch, mine are leaking and i think i have burnt the old included hooker gaskets, after bout 100 miles of driving i checked the bolts and found some loose enought o turn by hand, mabey 2, thus problay y the gasket burnt? and while on the 100 or more miles i was running open headers so could not hear a thing, i was told to check the flanges for straightness (a will do) when i put on new gaskets, and checked on header lock bolts EXPENSIVE a set from stage eight, at summit for $38, and have been looking at their gaskets, 3 choices

Mr gasket ultra-seal $15

Fel Pro performance gaskets $17

Mr gasket copperseal $35 --- are said to be .043 thick
and used in top fuelers

will better gaskets solve my prob, if i keep them tight?

and i have heard og COOPER gaskets??? where would i find them

should i check the flanges first for straigtness??

thanks.........
Old 02-07-2003, 01:27 AM

I really liked the ones that came with my headman headers. But I've also used the Mr. Gasket paper ones. They work ok. I've never had the pleasure of having the header bolts come loose. I use teflon tape on mine. Just an idea.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:08 AM

If you can stud the headers, thatll help a bit. Use convex washers if you can find them, they tend to spring back when heated and cooled. If all else fails, you can cross drill your bolts with a small drill and run safety wire through all of them after tightening, Guaranteed not to move! Do not overtighten as you will bend the flange, unless the flange is ground flat, not "O" ringed like Hookers. Dont use the copper ones on Hookers either, they dont work with the "O" rings because the rings dont line up with the embossed patterns. soak your paper gaskets in water overnight before installation, itll swell em up and make them seal better.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:59 AM

Jegs sells the soft metal gaskets. They are good, as they conform to the irregularities of the header and prevent leaks.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:13 AM
Inactive User

I had no luck with the copper gaskets. leaked bad. probably because my flanges were not perfect. I did two things to stop the leaks:

I. I used two gaskets per side. 1 stock manifold gasket, and one of the ones that comes with the headers. metal side of stock gasket facing out, and header gasket on the inside.

II. I cut the flanges between the sets of bolt holes. this islolates each set of bolts and compensates for warped flanges. cuts are barely noticeable when headers are installed.

while I did not do the following, it was recommended by my engine builder:

without gaskets in. on both end bolts, put 2 or 3 washers between the flange and the head, then bolt them on. then put in the center bolts in (no washers) tighten the center bolts and this will bring the middle in and help straighten out a warped flange. if this works, reinstall gaskets, remove washers and reinstall headers.

like I said, I did not have to do this, so I cannot say wheather or not it works. But it was reccomended to me, so I thought I would pass it along
Old 02-10-2003, 12:58 AM
Inactive User

cutting the flanges , never heard of this one, also heard 2 gaskets dont work but.......if it works it works, i am waitin till i take it in friday, to have the reat of the pipes put on and ran out the back, so i will wait till this weekend to pull off the old ones, and i found another loose bolt, left side, toward the back, burnt my hand tryin to get it, it was better on that side after it was tight, but the right it still pretty nasty
Old 02-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Inactive User

Stay away from paper gaskets. Fel Pro Perf. are the best I've seen,5000kms on a small block w/hedmans , the bolts are still tight and no leaks.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Inactive User

Mopar Performance Baby

Mopar makes a killer metal impregnated header gasket set that is killer....$34 list at the dealer...If your in good with the local parts guy you can get em cheaper.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Banned

Hey Swinger 69...how are things on the "rock"? How are your hedmans for ground clearance? Was the installation a nightmare? I have power steering and brakes so I'm not lookin forward to this ...Thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 11:34 AM

Cool

Go with the advice Pishta gives on the paper style gaskets. I have the paper style gaskets (these are the ones that normally come with the headers) on three of my vehicles and they have never leaked. That's right never!!! The headers on my '72 Challenger have been on it for more than 15 years. The ones on my '68 Valiant have been on it since '94 and the one's on my '95 Ram have been on it since '95.

What's my secret; 1st make sure the flang is flat, 2nd, cut the flangs to separate each tube, 3rd soak the gaskets in water for several hours before installing them and last but not least, re-tighten the bolts after several hours of driving.

IMO, all of those high tech gaskets are a waste of money, the gaskets that come with the headers work just fine.

HV
Old 02-10-2003, 05:16 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Earl's & Ultraseal used to make great gaskets. Havent seen them around for awhile. I was thinkinh Holley bought Earl's out.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:26 PM
Inactive User

I've had the same problem on my '77 Powerwagon since I put the Hooker Comps on in '97. I first thought the flanges were bent, but after putting a new set on about a year ago I discoverd that this was not the problem. I spoke to a friends dad, he's been building racing engines for oval track racing since 1955, and he told me to forget all the exotic gaskets and use the cheapest ones that still have the metal surface on one side and apply some ordinary household silicone (the stuff ya use in the bathroom) to both sides.

Tighten all the bolts and let it sit overnight. When you start the car the next day, take it easy as not to build to much pressure. The silicone will burn and blow out I hear you think! No actually the silicone will vulcanize between the surfaces like the rubber on ya mounts is vulcanized to the metal flanges. If you use heat resistant (automotive) silicone it won't vulcanize the same way because it's more resistant to heat than the clear houshold silicone. When the engine has heated up, retighten the bolts while they're hot. When they're warm they become longer. That's the reason why they come loose.

I decided to give it a try 6 months ago and it's the first time my headers haven't leaked since I put 'em on.

Give it a try, after all.....what are the costs of a tube of silicone?
Old 02-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Inactive User

I really like the paper ones too. I have them on an old pickup truck with shorty headers. all I had to do was tighten them every time I drove it for about two weeks, they have been fine for 3 years after that.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Inactive User

Hey littlcampbell, things are good,if your a polar bear.
Lots of snow, almost 450cm so far.Today the city is shut down due to a storm.My advice on the headers is read the instructions first.
When I installed mine I didn't find them until I was finished.
Jack the car up as high as possible. Pass. side is a snap.
Driver side is tough. Ground clearance is about 4'' to 5'' if memory serves. Power brakes might be a problem. I decided against p.
brakes when I saw how changing plugs might be a hassle.
I just built this car a year ago & I've been through it all so if you need any help just ask.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Inactive User

I have to agree with ...uhh whoever said to soak the paper ones from Mr gaskets. I dont soak them as ling as earlier suggested, (30 minutes or less for me)
sinces learning this trick a few years ago, I've done it probably +30 times with %100 leak free results, and I've never had to retorque any of them. just a cheap low tech solution
Old 02-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Inactive User

well i think for now i'm gonna try some regular exhaust manifolds gaskets?? i'll see how it does
Old 02-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Inactive User

do you have gasket leaks on headers

get rid of the gaskets. i went through a lot of gaskets till i found the best thing... i think.... go to NAPA auto parts they have a sealer for exhaust systems. it come in a white tube. 2in wide 7in long. with a black cap. the sealer inside the tub is black and looks and feels like tar. when it gets hot it expands a little, and gets hard. i havent had a gasket leak in 3.2 years..