Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-07-2003, 01:34 AM

Question The Volare stumble

I've got a '78 Volare /6 I got for free. I rebuilt the carb and it runs great except for the fact that when you slow down to turn and then get back on the gas it stumbles and sometimes dies.

I also was having a oil pressure problem with it, so I tried to pull the oil pan to check the pickup tube and timing chain but could I get the d*mn oil pan out. The book says it can be done but I have no clue.

Any ideas?

Car runs great otherwise. 85mph no problem. rusty but trusty
Old 02-08-2003, 02:50 AM
Banned

Yea, pull the disributor out and see if there is any broken gear teeth. The dist. and oil pump drive together. Seems funny to me you have two probs in the same area. Realated? Check it and tell us. No, you need to raise the engine up a few inches to get the pan out.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Inactive User

The dist and oil pump prive together on a V-8, not on a slant six. You stumble is either an ignition or carb problem. When the ign does not get enough advance, a stumble may result. Check vaccum adv, with cap offsuck on vaccum line to see if the adv plate moves, check initial timing, up to 10 degrees if it doesn't ping, check to see if the mech adv weights are free and not stuck. When the carb does not get enough gas,a stumble may result. Check acc. pump shot, float level, jetting thru plug color.

Cecil
Old 02-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Inactive User

The 78 /6 came with the EGR system. Do you still have it connected?
I just went through this problem and it turned out to be a bunch of related parts, such as the vacuum amplifier, EGR timer relay, and the small solenoids that activate the vacuum amplifer. The EGR valve was stuck open. This facilitated the disconnect of the vacuum line to the EGR Valve and then pluging the line.

All is well now and connected correctly. I replace everything in the system with parts from different "Bone Yards". The EGR Valve came from NAPA on a special order. Now it works. I've even passed emmisions for the State of Illinois.

RmRod
Old 02-11-2003, 09:24 AM
Inactive User

I had a similar stumble/stalling problem with a 71 dart. It turned out to be the float level. It was so low that in a turn the carb would starve for gas. I can remember if it happened on left or right turns, though.
Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Inactive User

You don't state whether this is a 1 bbl or 2 bbl. If it is a 2bbl Carter, you may need to richen it a tad by raising the metering rods a little. The factory setting is too lean, set that way for emission purposes. If this is your problem, you'll notice that it is worse when the engine is off choke but not fully hot.
The rods are tapered, and by raising them you allow a little more flow between them and the metering jet seat. Raise them about a 16th of an inch and see what that does for you. I'm sorry I can't remember the exact procedure for doing this, (it's been a long time), but it is pretty simple and if you rebuilt the carb yourself, you will be able to figure it out pretty easily.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

In 1980 I bought a 78 /6 Volare. It had the same stumble. I checked out the tune up and found that the accelerator pump was not getting a long enough squirt. The carb has several slots for the pump rod to fit in. Move the rod to a slot that gives a good long shot of fuel.

Dennis Jokela